It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not a Single Word of Warning!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
So get this..... (Prepare of a tale of heartache and intrigue)
I'm riding home today on the bus and a little old neighbor lady of mine asks me if I was moving.
I said "not that I know of"
and she says "really? so is the new owner a nice guy?"
I respond "who do you mean? Duke?"
She said "No, it's foreclosed on him, whoever bought it from him..."

Turns out, she got it wrong. It hadn't foreclosed on him yet, it forecloses on Friday at 3pm.

My house is in default, and in 4 days I no longer have any legal rights to live in this house.

No word, no warning, no tenant notices, nothing.

When I called my landlord on it, he said that it was a mistake and that he'll get is straitened right out. Then when he called back an hour later, he confirmed that the house is indeed in default, being foreclosed on, and that I likely would need to be out by the first of April.

What the #!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know how this works legally? I never signed a lease because it was such a good deal. It was more of a handshake and a good word type of thing. Can I legally be forced off the premises in one week?

It's bad enough that I had to take care of the electric and water bills for him, now I'm being kicked out on my @$$ with no warning!

Major Sux

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
you need to talk to a real estate attorney. every state is different but some states have legislation to protect against these kinds of things. The lack of a lease won't help but the fact that you paid the same thing every month and by a certain date might mean you had an implied lease. there's things like squatters rights in some states as well. then there's the new owner, they might not want to toss you out and,in the event they do, they might give you cash to split rather than hire an attorney to deal with it.

in any event, contact a real estate attorney to find out what your options are.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
If I'm correct, your land lord is required to give you 30 days notice, at least in my state, it may be different in other states. However, if you did not sign a lease on the residence, then you may be at a loss of luck. I agree that you need to contact a real estate attorney.

Good luck bro, hope everything works out well.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

What a way to find out. This shouldn't have to happen to anybody. You should have laws in your state that could give you more time. This can't happen in Missouri. Like the other poster said you would have at least 30 days here. Keep us informed please.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yeah that's a bummer. Absent a valid, signed lease, you're screwed. And might've been screwed even with a lease. A real estate attorney in your area would be able to tell you if you have any rights at all in this situation, but honestly, it doesn't look good.

Here's a story you might find interesting-

Renters Face Rapid Eviction as Foreclosures Soar.

This happens to be in California, so your situation may or may not be as dire.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I guess I should either put my efforts into finding a place for the first of the month, or put my efforts into fighting for my right to stay here.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll call a real estate attorney tomorrow morning and see what they have to say.

This is not the way I wanted to start my week.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Man that sux the big one.

I'm in a similar situation myself, although we have until June to get gone. Wasn't expecting to have to move till new year. Law here sux and we don't have a toe to lean on. Have to move!

Moving house is hugely stressful.

Best of luck to you.

MonKey

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Unfortunatly hun we are in a bad housing situation right now and this is actually happening to many people right now.

Here is an article about it happening in my own backyard.
Renters put out by foreclosures

According to the article, the landlord should have informed you the moment the foreclosure process started. Unfortunatly many landlords are not doing that. I used to collect mortgage payments and it is common for property owners to be "in denial" when their property is being foreclosed upon and it's really sad.

What is really more sad is that this whole mess was started by something called Subprime loans which is a high interest home loan that banks would give to people with low incomes, bad credit and limited credit knowing full well they wouldn't be able to keep up the payments for long.

The banks did this and our government allowed it to continue for a long time and now we are screwed. Yay America!

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So here's the deal,

I spoke with an attorney this morning and he says that I'm sort of SOL. Once the property is foreclosed, the bank can give me as much or as little time as they see fit. After that they need to give me a court order or something asking me to vacate the premises, at which point I can ask for a delay. But the problem with that is that they can change the locks and essentially bar me from entering my house.

I've been all up and down craigslist and have found a few options that I'm looking at over the next few days.

Still major sux, but with a dash of hope.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Well, I hope you find something soon, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you though.

It does indeed seem to be happening more and more, and a lot of people around here are in the process of hiking rents back up in order to make ends meet. Simply a mess. Even my rent as of yesterday just nearly doubled. :shk:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
One of the upsides to this bad housing crisis is that it is actually a great time to buy a house. So if you think your income and credit is solid enough you can probably find something pretty cheap.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

One of the upsides to this bad housing crisis is that it is actually a great time to buy a house. So if you think your income and credit is solid enough you can probably find something pretty cheap.

I would suggest that as well, but it would be a long shot.

As for finding another place, I would try to move out ASAP(like today if yo could). It may mean finding a smaller place and having to store some of your stuff in a storage unit for a month or two (until you find a better place), but that is really the best option for you. It would suck, yes, but it would suck less than being thrown into the street.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Same thing happened to my sister, she found out like 10 days before xmas, that the owner was in default and she would have to move by Jan. 1. She rented a house from him and has 5 kids, her mom my step mom also rented a house from him.

Anyway she got lucky, because the bank let her rent from them, she was able to sign a 2 year lease, but had to pay a bunch of money up front on a house she has lived in for 4 years.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
board up the windows,change the locks (they're not allowed to break in) if they do,flood the floor and drop and electric fire in the water. (stand on the stairs to do this) They won't want to come in

old school squatter information

edit to add...and NEVER trust a "handshake" agreement. Especially when it's your home in question.Always ask to see a contract,and read it through properly before signing. Take it away over night if you have to,sign nothing there and then. Lessons in life don't come cheep,I hope this one resolves itself as painfree as possible.

[edit on 25/3/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yeah it seems that prices are going up every where. My rent just went up about $100. Kinda makes you think about how the economy is going these days, all this talk about another recession or depression. People are really starting to feel the impact. I know of 3 other people who have had their rents raised in the last year, my rent has been increased 2 times in the past year, it's getting sickening.

top topics

join