It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the detractors of this site....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Listen I know that the rules are harsh and seem unfair. But here is the real deal. You have signed up for a site that is a private company. This site is not owned by the government. It is owned by private individuals. Therefore you have an obligation to adhere to this companies terms and conditions.

The terms and conditions are very liberal in my opinion. Considering the private nature of this site and the way they want it set up.

The United States Constitution does not apply here. I am sorry. Yes I know freedom of speech is an important thing. I agree with the concept of freedom of speech. But the owners of this site have made guidelines on how that freedom is used. They also have to protect themselves from; slander, mistatement, all out lies, and etc.

Also the owners of this site have made repeatedly the request that drug use and terminology to be refrained from usage on this site with very good reason. They want this site to be available to the general public. Everyone from 13-99 I can assume this because the adult nature of this board requires this.

They do not want to be excluded from teenagers that have valuable opinions that want to contribute to the content of this site. Things like a net nanny that would pick up on certain terms and phrases would prohibit that. This is what they strive to avoid in order to let the truth be known.

It is a simple thing really and what I have seen myself in threads that have been closed. (even my own threads) is that these subjects need to be looked upon with scrutiny and with a watchful eye so that real subject matter gets through that everyone can benefit from. Even if they do not agree.

Threads get closed for a number of reasons:

1) they disobey the T&C of this site

2) they already are being discussed

3) they are pointless ramblings of an internet troll that contribute nothing to an adult conversation.

Believe me, I have done this myself. I have made a thread that has been closed because it's just utter BS that the moderators have just deemed necessary to curb the lunacy. Or that is being discussed somewhere else. Or that is well off the subject matter for the board I am trying to discuss it on.

The reasons these threads are closed are my fault not the boards...

Now let's talk about those that think ATS is CONINTELPRO.

WTF. Seriously WTF? with all the wild claims (with backup data that shows this) How can ATS be CONINTELEPRO?

The wild and unbelievable posts some members spout with ridiculous links to bull crud articles. This is allowed, Why? Because the truth may lie in the unbelievable and the ludecrous. Its up to the poster, the individual to make up there own mind.

That is the essence of freedom of speech. That is what this site is all about.

Sure you may have an unbelievable story to tell. Back it up. Let us know why we should believe your tale and what proof you have to back your claims.

So you can't cuss...

and that is a detractor? If you cannot say what you mean to say without swearing, think of another way to say it. If you are an intelligent person obviously you can think of a better word for (Blank) to excise your meaning. Vulgarity is a crutch that we use when we cannot come up with the proper thing to say...

So to me to you as a member not a mod, (cause I am not one) as a member remember what I have said and you can say any ridiculous thing you want. Sure it might be discredited but guess what? If you say it in the right way it will get attention on this board and not be shut down.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

My Credo:

1. Stay within the confines of the TOC's. This is staple.
2. Always endevor to be curteous to others. - "Do unto others"
3. Always endevor to be mindful of the words we post Be concise; to the point, as much as one can be, and have patience towards those who may/maynot be as 'linguistically correct' as others. For they too - have a story to tell.
4. Always strive to better oneself - "What is the biggest room in the world? Room for improvement!
5. Share information with each other with an open mind and heart. - Never fail to develop a 'thick skin' when receiving input back from one's postings. This is key.
6. Never hesitate to ask for help - 'Know-it-all attitudes are NOT readilly received on the boards. It's not a crying shame to ask a fellow member or better yet, a Mod, to help us with any idiosncracies that may abound.
7. If we gotta 'get crazy' over our postings - Do so!!! but remember to incorporate the above 6 points. Key!

For you and me whatukno, (and everyone else):

~Ducky~

[edit on 22-3-2008 by TheDuckster]

[edit on 22-3-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Nice rant What, very well spoken, and I must say rather calm for a "rant".
WIS

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WalkInSilence

Thanks, I was drunk off my behind when I wrote it. I kinda get sick of people bad mouthing this site cause of the rules. I agree with the way this site is run and how it's set up. I like how much this site has grown and the cool stuff you get to do here.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I just wanted to bump this thread a little cause it's come up YET AGAIN! I get so dang tired of people blaming this site and the owners of this site for problems that arent even problems.

Grr mad wukky no like!

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
As you know there are many sites on the net where if you choose to rant or cuss it is fine.

I too get really sick of listening to the rants ad nauseum about ats/bts policy.

I have been known to hit the ignore button for the repeaters.

It is always good to see new members and their contributions, but coming here and trying to raise cane right out of the gate is annoying.

Really I just wanted to support your well written Op.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The other thing I notice recently is how when one person creates a thread, some one else comes behind them and makes the same thread worded badly, differently...

Another one that gets my goat is when new people take a link that you give in a thread and make a thread about the link 5 minutes later. Your thread dies in 6 minutes and theirs goes on to top of the page fame for weeks.

top topics

join