It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proud To Be An American

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yes, I said it! "I'm proud to be an American". Sure, our government isn't perfect, and we as a people are not perfect. But I'll be d-mned if I'll bow my head and apologize for being part of one of the most hard-working, generous, innovative groups of people in the World. We may have started out as a ragtag group of outcasts from every known country in the World, but we have forged one of the mightiest nations ever known to man through our strength, hard work, and determination.

We've poured countless dollars over the years into other countries to help rebuild their crumbling infrastructures, provided disaster relief in their times of crisis, and shored up their flagging economies with our own hard won American dollars. Dollars, I might add, earned by the blood and sweat of American workers, yet freely given to those in need with little in the way of thanks.

We did these things not for praise though, but because we thought they were right things to do.

Our men and women have sacrificed their lives untold times, so other could be free. They've left their homes and families to fight for what they believed in, freedom. The freedom to worship as one chooses, the freedom to govern oneself, the freedom to live one's life without being oppressed.

Our freedom however, was not free. We had to earn it at a very dear price. That price was the lives of thousands of American fighting men and women. Our blood has flown freely over not only our land, but those of other countries in the far flung corners of the World. We Americans have earned the right to be proud of our accomplishments, to be proud of
our people, to be proud of our culture.

It's been many years now since we've had to fight for our own freedom, but it looks like like we might have to again very soon. I have no fear though, because I know as a people we will survive. There is something in each and everyone of us regardless of our race, creed, color, or religious beliefs that unites us all, that is our desire to be free. I have sometimes myself forgotten that freedom won is appreciated much more than freedom which is given at no personal cost to oneself.

I'm entitle to my opinion, just as you are to yours ,simply because someone who came before me felt it was important enough to fight and die for. Would they necessarily agree with me? Maybe so, maybe not. Would they defend my right to express it, you bet. That's what being free is all about.

We may be a little bent right now, but as I see it, we're far from broken. In the days to come we may face hard times, criticism from those we considered our friends, and attempts to destroy us as a nation, but we'll survive as we have done time and time again since the days of our founding fathers.

Be proud or your country, be proud of who and what you are, and most of all, be proud you're an American.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think it is good to be proud of your country. I AM CANADIAN. See i fell better all ready. Even if our governments are retards. The people of the countries are usually nice. But their still are some @$$ monkeys out there.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You're right Darcon, we should all be proud of our respective countries. The country is not necessarily the government, but those who live in it. Sometimes we're helpless as individuals to prevent the evil that they do in our names.

It takes a unified group of citizens working together to effect change. Until we all set aside our personal prejudices, pet peeves, and concern for our own safety nothing will be done. As stated, freedom won is much more appreciated. If it costs you nothing, it will probably mean nothing to you.

Most children act the same way with money, when it's given to them, they'll waste it without a second thought, but when they have to earn it themselves, they have a deeper greater respect for it.

[edit on 3/19/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
It takes a unified group of citizens working together to effect change. Until we all set aside our personal prejudices, pet peeves, and concern for our own safety nothing will be done.

Then nothing will be done.

We are a primitive, tribal, unsophisticated, selfserving species that has only been out of the trees a short time. Our civilization is but a thin veneer
over a species that will eat their brothers babies to survive. If there was a MAJOR catastrophe and people were hungry, it would be more like "Mad Max" and our tribal instincts would kick in and it would be chaos, anarchy, blood and guts; not some idealized hippy commune.

LLoyd45, you give humans way to much credit.

Still, I am proud to be an American, but not for the Nationalistic, patriotic reasons; but because the free market system allows for Survival of the Fittest paradigm to rule supreme.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Lloyd, you've listed all the good things you see about America, now would you care to point out all it's faults so we can judge the situation clearly?

I wouldn't want you to sound more biased than you already are.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Lloyd, you've listed all the good things you see about America, now would you care to point out all it's faults so we can judge the situation clearly?

I wouldn't want you to sound more biased than you already are.

I guess to some I may sound a little biased, and in truth I am. I'm proud of my country, and all it's managed to acheive in it's brief history. Who wouldn't be? Aren't you proud of yours?

One thing needs to be cleared up though, the government does not represent the people in all instances. The average person does not have the ability or the power to change what it's elected official have decided to do. You show me a country where it is possible in today's screwed up World.

A good example of what I'm saying is the current war in Iraq. Over two thirds of the American people are against it, and want our troops to withdraw, but that doesn't change the situation one bit. People's protests fall on deaf ears. Too much money is being made by the military industrial complex for it to end anytime soon. It's one of the main reasons we're in such dire economics straight today. It's estimated that over 12 billion dollars are being spent a day to keep it going. Are the majority of Americans happy about this, No, but it goes on no less.

We voted and brought in new representatives that promised to speak on our behalf and bring an end to the war, unfortunately nothing has changed. Is it the fault of the American people that the country has been hijacked by unscrupulous politicians? Should the rest of the World hate us for their arrogance and greed?

Other faults.. Maybe some of us are a bit too proud for our own good. Maybe some of us waste more than we really need to, maybe some of of have had it way to easy for way to long, maybe some of us are greedy and self-serving, but that's not all of us. We suffer from the same deadly sins that every other person in the World does, but most American are hard-working, God-fearing people, who have always been ready to help a friend or neighbor of ours in need.

You can't judge a whole country by a handful of it's people. These individuals represent less than 5% of the total poulation, but somehow have manged to acquire all the power. Is that how it was meant to be, no, but that's the sad reality.

Now, who will aid us in our time of need? Or must we Americans go it alone as the World watches on?

[edit on 3/19/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

LLoyd with all due respect, it sounds to me that the downfall of everyone is putting faith in other people to take care of things based on promises of good times and riches.

Yet every year there is some sort of vote on 'what the people will' and every year there is less progress made. It amazes me that people aren't realizing that something is amiss.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I never liked the whole "proud to be American" thing. It gives the impression that you think you're better than non-Americans. We need to stop differentiating ourselves from each other when we're all made of the same stuff.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
I never liked the whole "proud to be American" thing. It gives the impression that you think you're better than non-Americans. We need to stop differentiating ourselves from each other when we're all made of the same stuff.
There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country or your heritage. It in no way implies that you believe you're better than anyone else.

Would you apply the same constraints to all countries? Would you tell a Mexican, a Canadian, a German, or an Englishman the same thing? Or is your comment only directed towards Americans? Should African-American not be proud of being African-American, when by your logic their just Americans in the final analysis?

Yes, we are all made of the same stuff, but we all have such vastly different cultures, experiences, and heritage. To lump us all into one category is to deny us our right to individuality.

I'm really a little disappointed in the lack of pride for our country that many have shown. It's sad when people are afraid to express their loyalty. I won't waste any more of your time, or mine on this post. Best of luck to you all.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel

Would you apply the same constraints to all countries? Would you tell a Mexican, a Canadian, a German, or an Englishman the same thing?

Absolutely. I don't discriminate.

While being proud of something doesn't necessarily mean you feel superior, it does lead toward that sort of thinking... and I see the fruits of it all the time not only in every day life, but blatantly on TV as well.

Besides, it makes no sense to me that one would be proud of something that he/she is born into. You set a goal and achieve it, great... be proud of it. But being proud of one's nationality? That only breeds separateness when what we need is unity.

The world is becoming smaller and cultures are becoming closer, much thanks to the internet. Some day we'll be having this discussion again, except you'll be saying "I'm proud to be a human". And I'll be saying, how is that any different than alien?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your country or your heritage. It in no way implies that you believe you're better than anyone else.

It certainly does. It implies that, for whatever reasons, that you believe that your collective group of people has or is doing something that exceeds any benefit that any other group of people is or has done. If this were not so, they would not call it pride and it would be baseless.

Their is no pride in love. If your proud of your country, it's because you believe that other countries are not as good. You believe in democracy, then your elected officials are working for the people. You have voted for any trouble they cause, foreign or domestic. If you feel they are doing a good job, you keep them in power. If they are messing things up, the people should remove them from power. America has allowed their politicians to tell them lies for years in exchange for a little wealth.

Would you apply the same constraints to all countries? Would you tell a Mexican, a Canadian, a German, or an Englishman the same thing? Or is your comment only directed towards Americans? Should African-American not be proud of being African-American, when by your logic their just Americans in the final analysis?

No nation should boast, nor any man should boast.

Yes, we are all made of the same stuff, but we all have such vastly different cultures, experiences, and heritage. To lump us all into one category is to deny us our right to individuality.

If America believed in individuality, then why are their laws for against the individual?

I'm really a little disappointed in the lack of pride for our country that many have shown. It's sad when people are afraid to express their loyalty. I won't waste any more of your time, or mine on this post. Best of luck to you all.

If you wish to be loyal to a nation, then God help you. You cannot have two masters, for you will love one and hate the other.

new topics

top topics

join