It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

let's say the economy does crash...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ok let's say the economy does crash...what happens now? We are in a depression maybe worse than the 20's & 30's.
What happens to those that no longer have jobs and mortages? Will people come and take the houses? I think in the beginning they may but if we (as a country) go down the tubes are the banks really going to care about something that they cannot sell? It takes roughly 8 months to foeclose on a home now and then the police get to show up and give you notice. Will they even care? Will we be squaters?

I guess what I am getting at is there is a lot of people that could be displaced. I have a lot of equipment/supplies for such an event but a lot of people dont. And though I am prepared (at least a little) I could find myself homeless possibly.

I am just wondering due to how weak the dollar is becoming and rising prices of everything else.

Kafer

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I don't know exactly what happened in the Depression, but you can expect that whatever happened then would be about the same, except we would be more prepared and have learned at least something from the experience. I really think it is incredibly unlikely that our economy will ever drop to those kinds of lows again, though. So far this has just been a small correction in the grand scheme of things.

When people start talking like this, you know there's a big rally coming. Get ready to BUY BUY BUY.

The dollar isn't even at it's weakest right now. Apparently no one else saw it fall to nearly $0.90 CAD in November.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

Hehe oh up here in Canada we did, everyone was all happy and what not. No this could potential be a a drespression close to as the great one, but with the lakc of manufacting base at home, the US might not be able to pull out of this one.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Now, no sneaking into Mexico in search of a better life when America is foreclosed on. Respect those fences!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Oh great now Canada is going to need a border fence. OUrs will have to be so much bigger and more exspensive too

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well......As I dont know the first thing about being a farmer, or a hobo.....My only other choice would be crime.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

Part of your survival strategy might be to learn a few more skills then how to shoot a gun. Learning to garden is easy, you can at least supplement your diet. Southern hospitality and camping would both be great areas to learn more about as well. Criminals have harsh justice as it is now. If things get dicey criminals will be hunted down by Bechtel, KBR and the other mercenary outfits including citizen vigilantes.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think I will become an illegal immigrant in Mexico. I always wanted a house on the beach. Maybe I could go all the way to Belize or Nicaragua.
Really I don't know how bad it might get. So much of our infrastructure is based on commuting and travel. If that is curtailed or even stopped I see things getting out of hand readily enough. We are no longer dependent on local economic ventures such as farming. A good part of all of our food is imported. It would be a good thing to start a garden. Fuel could become exorbitant or maybe unavailable. Of course many investments would be wiped out mine included. However I believe that if it really hit the fan, American ingenuity would come into play as it has done in the past it may well take a little longer though. I am really hoping that it will not be a total collapse. However I will pray for the best and prepare for the worst.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
We as a people have weathered a major depression before. If left alone we will do it again. This time however because of our dependence on technology it will be far worse. in the 20's and 30's before the great depression a lot of rural homes weren't even wired. people knew how to live with out electricity and to a certain extent Gasoline.

This time around there will be many more deaths. We can learn again as a people how to live again but I do not think we will be given time. With all the enemy's of America in this day and age, they will attack. in singles and in bunches. It will be like free day at the shooting gallery. I truly feel sorry how ever for any type of invading army. We will still have our guns and still have our American resolve.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Who paid for the soup lines back then and employed thousands in the service industry to offset the poor economy?

Al Capone, the father of all modern corporate structure.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Investment banks Goldman Sachs Group Inc , Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc and Morgan Stanley are testing a new program that allows investment banks to borrow directly from the Federal Reserve, according to people at the banks.

more stories like thisIn a bid to stabilize jittery markets, the Fed said on Sunday that it would allow investment banks to borrow from its discount window using a wide range of investment-grade securities as collateral.

www.boston.com...

new topics

top topics

join