It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Red Cross officials visit Saddam Hussein

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Two international Red Cross (ICRC) officials Saturday visited Saddam Hussein in U.S. custody somewhere in Iraq, a spokeswoman said for the ICRC said.

The delegates ? one of them a doctor ? saw the ousted Iraqi leader at an undisclosed location and they hope to have regular visits, said Nada Doumani, spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross.

They carried out a physical and mental evaluation of the former president, who is in US custody in Iraq, the ICRC workers also took a handwritten letter to Saddams family, it is unknown what the contents of this letter are.

The US gave Saddam Hussein prisoner of war (POW) status on 9 January, paving the way for the Red Cross to visit him under the terms of Third Geneva Convention.

The ICRC said that the coalition forces respected all the requirements of the visit.

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by Nerdling]

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I pray we are treating him humanely regardless of his history. We'd be no better than him if otherwise.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
i absolutly LOVE the red cross.

saddam doesnt deserve them yet they still want to help.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cearbhall
I pray we are treating him humanely regardless of his history. We'd be no better than him if otherwise.

well if the government wasnt going to they wouldnt have given him POW status allowing the red cross access to him and many other rights given to him under the geneva convention.

of course those who caught him could have easily have killed him, said he was going for his weapon and been done with it. maybe then we could have avoided people like you all worried about how saddam gets treated.

you really need to stop thinking the worst of america.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

Originally posted by Cearbhall

well if the government wasnt going to they wouldnt have given him POW status allowing the red cross access to him and many other rights given to him under the geneva convention.

of course those who caught him could have easily have killed him, said he was going for his weapon and been done with it. maybe then we could have avoided people like you all worried about how saddam gets treated.

you really need to stop thinking the worst of america.

I'm actually surprised at you right now, monkey.

Cearbhall is Air Force, if I remember correctly, so he proudly serves our country, but still has compassion for his fellow man. It doesn't matter if his fellow man is an absolute gargoyle who was ruthless to his people, he is still a human being. Maybe you forgot that.

Despite his various crimes against innocent people, saddam deserves to be treated like a human being.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Under the circumstances I hope someopne took the time to read that letter before it left there since it could easily be instructions of more crazy stunts against our military men and women in Iraq.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
"Under the circumstances I hope someopne took the time to read that letter before it left there since it could easily be instructions of more crazy stunts against our military men and women in Iraq."

lol of course they did ^.^

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Don't be so sure some of the crazy things the gov pulls you never know. Since they have declared him a POW, then its according to the rules of the geneva convention on whether the note was looked at or not.

new topics

top topics

join