It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crane falls on Manhattan building, at least 2 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A construction crane fell on a residential building in Manhattan on Saturday, killing at least two people and injuring several others, the New York City Fire Department said.

A Reuters photographer on the scene said the crane had completely crushed a building of several stories and cars on the street were also under rubble. The crane also damaged some neighboring buildings.

Crane Falls On Manhattan Building, At Least 2 Dead

At Least Two Dead As Crane Falls On NY Building

From the looks of the destruction this caused, I'm surprised and relieved that only 2 people suffered fatalities. Hopefully they don't find anymore.

A few pictures from the accident

Michelle

[edit on 15-3-2008 by Michelle129]

Mod Note: Breaking General News Posting Guidelines- Please Review This Link

And most importantly, the submission must be made via the Submit News Button
located on the toolbar at the top of the page.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sorry tried to edit OP with no luck. Here's some links to the story

Crane Falls On Manhattan Building, At Least 2 Dead

At Least Two Dead As Crane Falls On NY Building

Michelle

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Fox News is reporting three dead and from an aerial view, three bodies on gurneys can be seen.

There will probably be more fatalities discovered.

This is very tragic.

Now, reporting four fatalities, more missing.

Nine safety violations reported at construction site.

Demolished building was a restaurant. Fubar is the name, I believe.

News cameras have been asked to pull back because other bodies are being recovered now.

[edit on 2008/3/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Sorry for the duplicated post - a search for new york crane didnt bring anything up.

I cant believe how much damage has been caused. The photos look terrifying.

I hope there are no other fatalities.

I have only been to New York a couple of times and I must say that I am a little paranoid of the dangers that lurk above.

It seems the place is a little dangerous to be in - exploding steam vents, out of control lorries and cranes falling over!!!

Then again the place is one of the busiest in the world so it is bound to have it's fair shareof accidents.

I wouldn't like to be the guy in charge of the company that erected the crane!

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
An update on this story:

He [Mayor Bloomberg] said the four people killed were construction workers, and that several more workers were injured. An additional 10 people were injured, three of them critically, Bloomberg said.

"Fortunately the bar was not open so there was either one or two people in that bar," he said. One person was rescued alive from the bar and workers were searching to check if the second person was in fact in the bar at the time.

"We are still looking for other victims potentially trapped in the rubble,"

/yvzpco

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
it seems that all these horrible things happen near my apartment (5 blocks away and sure to be hellish getting my daughter to and from school while the area is closed off).

Oddly enough, I was supposed to go check out an apartment around the corner from this building. I cancelled and the wife and kids never ended up in the area. They would very likely have been walking right by the building when it happened. Fortunately, I opted to stay in the office and finish up what I was working on rather than take the break and head back uptown.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Grady, thanks for the updates. I had to go out not long after I posted this and didn't have a chance to check for updates. Sad to hear there were more casualties

Crakeur, that's definitely one of those times when the "things happen for a reason" saying is all too apparent! So glad to hear that your family wasn't affected. Sometimes being a workaholic pays off!

As a side note, sorry guys for not submitting this story properly. I've reviewed the guidelines and promise to do it properly from now on.

Michelle

top topics

join