It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tent cities have sprung up outside Los Angeles

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
It serves them right.
If you take out a loan you can't possibly repay, or you fail to read the fine print, then you lose your home.

Sure, the financial institutions offered loans in a way that made them look very attractive while markets were rising, but they didn't forge your signature on the papers.

If you can't pay you're out.
Go live in a tent if you're that stupid or rent an apartment, because you deserve it.

I personally take offense to your comment an would care to elaborate from another position to show you how wrong you are in judging a book by its cover.

Picture this:
You have a good job, a family to support and own your own home.
You`re a hard worker and a very responsible individual always paying your bills as soon as you get them regardless of the due date.

Your job is seasonal and every year in the winter you take a short term layoff.
Its expected and its no big deal as you can receive unemployment benefits and you are accustomed to this being a short term layoff anywhere from a week to a month depending upon the construction business.

But this time its different.
It takes a couple months to realize it.
But soon you understand the owner of your company has laid off all union personnel with no desire to re-employ any of them.
Its a matter of union and politics and the bottom line is that you are now out of a job.

You call your union hiring hall as you are supposed to do but work is slow.
You land a couple short term gigs but nothing permanent.

After a while you take on a new venture and take advantage of a great business opportunity.
You are able to take a failing business out of a hole and turn it around within your first 30 days.
Your customer base is growing, business is good and you are building a great reputation.
The customers all love you and you are doing a great job.

At home, you have some other problems.
Your significant other is battling their demons again and its taking a toll on you as well.
The help you thought you were going to have from your partner isn`t there.
Now you`re working a lot of hours to get things accomplished and your getting burned out.

Although your business is doing well and turning a nice profit, your debt, due to a previous extended amount of time without a paycheck and initial investment in the business, requires more in payments then you are bringing in. You go through all your savings including what you have put aside for your daughter`s college education.

You do the only natural thing and apply for a loan.
You have great credit, never missed a payment on anything, and your score is very high.
You are going for a debt consolidation loan with cash out as well.
The plan is to re-finance your existing mortgage, pay off all your bills and have a rather large chunk of cash left over for some additional business upgrades.

The equity is there, you have great credit and within a short period of time you begin the process with a mortgage company.
Its a good thing, because if you couldn`t get this loan you would have to sell the business or else you would eventually lose it.
Its simple mathematics.

They tell you you are approved and that you will be closing within 30 days.
You breathe a sigh of relief and feel like you are on top of the world.

As you await the closing you are in constant contact with the mortgage company always staying on top of things.
After 30 days go by, you begin to call the mortgage company on a more regular basis wondering what is taking so long.
It seems as if they are dragging their feet but they assure you repeatedly that you are getting your loan.
You explain that you are about to fall behind on your bills because you have been depending on this loan to lower your payment significantly.
They repeatedly assure you that it is a matter of days before you close.

But this goes on for over 2 months.
You have completely used up all your resources, all savings, you are dry and you are late on your bills.
Then you get a call from the bank that the mortgage company is middle manning for and they tell you that your credit score is no good.
When you were approved your score was excellent but because they took much longer then they promised, you missed some bills and your score has started to go down quickly.

Something definitely doesn`t smell right. You can`t put your finger on it but you just know they were trying to get over on you some how.
Nonetheless you are told you won`t be getting a loan.

Now you`re screwed.
Its time to dump the business quick before you lose it all together.
It takes you about another 2 months to find a buyer and finalize the sale.
You sell real cheap, you have no choice, you`re behind on everything.

With the proceeds from the sale you pay your back rent at your business, you catch up on all your bills but when you try to catch up on your home mortgage, you are a bit too late.

You missed 2 payments and now they don`t want to talk to you.
Its a matter with their legal department now, as your house is in foreclosure.
They won`t take your calls, they won`t return your messages and you get a letter in the mail that your house is going to auction.

You speak to your new employer, a friend of a friend that you recently began working for, and he explains he was in a similar situation a year earlier and puts you in contact with a friend of his.

This friend is in the mortgage business and tells you what you need to do to save your home.
He puts you in contact with a lawyer friend.
The lawyer says you need to file chapter 13 to enact an automatic stay and prevent the auction process.
You sell your car to pay this guy thousands to file the proper paperwork.

To sum up the rest because its not going to all fit,
the lawyer milks you good but in the end your case is dismissed as you fail to come up with a loan to settle your debt as your lawyer assured you that you would be able to do through his friend in the mortgage business. In the end they want you to sign over your house to an unrelated third party.

Yes it stinks of scam scam scam.

You battle the foreclosure process for some more on your own only prolonging the inevitable and eventually lose your home.

Everything is @#cked up now. Family and pets are displaced and all living apart from one another.

My point is
DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!

Not all situations are the same.
Just a few of my circumstances could do it, but I had a lot,
and I`m also leaving out a lot.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Yes, when I read that I immediately thought of the starving people in Africa who continue to produce children and thought, you know
It Serves Them Right....

Have we lost all compassion in our society or is that just the way things are heading?

Paper (FIAT) money and credit are some of the biggest scams of the modern era...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I would also like to add, that if it weren`t for my family, I could be in one of those tents. I happen to be lucky to have the family I do, but not everyone is so fortunate.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
To add a little more perspective,
A large part of the problem lies within the dishonest brokers.
They tell lies to make a sale.

There is more then one way that they can act dishonestly as I have experienced.

I`m not sure of the exact goals of the first company I became entangled with.
What I do know is that they promised me one thing and were very re-assuring to the facts they claimed but in the end did not deliver.

They either lied about the length of time that this would take or they purposely played me to bring me to their mercy. Maybe they would have offered me something else. But when I was turned down for the original loan amount, I ceased any further contact as the game plan had just drastically changed.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
So as you can see, when you are up against powerful corporations, you have no chance.
A lot of these people have no chance.
It is simply not a level playing field.
These mortgage companies pop up, make some quick cash and then sell the loans to bigger companies and close up shop. Its how a lot of them operate.

Most people trust that banks will be banks and that you should be able to trust a company that produces loans, but the truth is that you have to do an awful lot of homework to know exactly what you are getting yourself into.
When you are busy with other things it is too easy to get caught off guard.

A lot of these companies actively preyed upon their victims and thats the bottom line.

You can`t say everyone is irresponsible because of the current situation.
Its simply not the case.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

It is sad that their ignorance has put them in this position, but I still can't have compassion for someone that can't take a contract and read it.

Yea.. those damn ignorant Native Americans... so stupid to just sign over all that land to the settlers....

Be ashamed of yourself.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I don't really mind at all. Quite a few of those out of houses are those speculators who would buy on crazy terms, never actually live in the place, and sell it for a profit weeks or months later. Only those last few speculative purchases got burned on a property that had been bought and sold numerous times from pre build to a year or so after completion.
Seeing it all over Las Vegas, especially North, where large malls were built concurrently with sub divisions, expecting those houses to be filled.
Those malls are emptying, the construction has slowed drastically as speculators have bailed out of their earnest money on constructions.

I'll wait till late summer or fall, then start buying some of them as rentals at pennies on the dollar.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Lol omg, we (the U.S) will never near a third world country. However we can get worse to the point to where things like this will accure often but it wont near a third world country.

This is to whome ever said it serves them right....How could you say that when it was the Government or leaders fault not the peoples...thats like me saying the Iraqis deserve to die just because they live near the enemy...This board is to deny ignorance not to show it.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Mr.x211]

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Mr.x211]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

reply to post by dismanrc

Theoretically I can eventually acquire a car to give to the person that I sold one to before I had a car to actually sell.

A bank can lend out 10 times what it has on hand. If a bank has but $1 it can lend $10. Now, why that should this criminal practice be legal? It's beyond misrepresentation -- banks do not merely just say that they have money when they do not have it, they also sell loans that represent money that they do not have. Plain and simple - this is fraud.

Banks are allowed to create infinite debt when in fact there is not at least the equivalent amount of money printed or in circulation to repay every loan sold. Banks are allowed to create money out of nothing. That is fraud perpetrated on the people and society.

Banks selling loans to people is analogous to people signing up to inject themselves with a deadly disease in order to compete for a severely limited supply of vaccine. Even if the cards are extremely well played by each person many will die.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Areal51]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico[/i Homelessness is rampant in ALL countries.
Really? First of all where have you traveld and how many language do you speak or are you just telling the wisdom what you have got through your television set? "been there done that as homeless and with no money in LA" Dont you see that your media is torso!im so glad than even some body watches
BBC in US.I have seen your so called "news" from fox,car chases etc... I laffed my ass off even i was an teenager.Your media wants you to not to think anything more than food, and then "light food" then exercise fittings and when you look good(wont feel good) you will get more money. You are living in the middle of capitalistic propaganda!Have you been in skandinavia?I dont think so! We are wealthy countrys and our wealth doesnt blow skyhigh if you know what i mean.We dont have too many filthyrich"individuals"either not too many homeless people(you can also be homeless from your own decision and it can be refreshing in right invironment). I founded an homeless old man from park once and toke
him to my home.I got really angry how could it be possible,an old man??
I wonder,When they go to sleep in their tents at LA do they even realize they have been betrayal by you, fellow citizens,voters and taxpayers?

I dont mean that people there would be bad,DEFINITELY NOT!you are just mislead and some ways globaly we all are.Have to say than when i was in LA i meet really nise people with good hearts who also gaved me a roof on top of my head.Thank you and good thoughts to them!

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

The honest problem with homeless people is what to do about it. I had a very difficult time getting out of being homeless myself because of work. You cannot force someone to hire you. I got lucky in that I found some somewhat steady work working for a day labor place. But even that has it's pitfalls, you start to get used to budgeting on a daily basis. It becomes an addiction, you go to this office every morning looking for the job for the day and if you are lucky enough to get onto a "ticket" that is long term, it starts to feel like a job. You go there every day and do whatever menial duty that they deem worthy of you and you smile and make the best of it.

The problem with what to do with homeless people is that they need jobs! That is the first step in combating homelessness. Get these people to work. If they are at work they are not hanging around bus stations or "flying signs" or at public libraries. A job will give a person a sense of worth and belonging to mainstream society.

As far as the ones that cannot for some reason work. Either due to a mental or physical handicap. I am not sure there is a solution. SSI (Social Security Insurance) Helps, but if they are self medicating, which happens all too often with drugs and mainly alcohol. They become dependent and also complacent in their situation. I knew a man that had immigrated from Canada that had lived at the Salvation Army homeless shelter for over 5 years. Because of his dependence on illegal drugs and (in this case) a inclination for hookers. This man became complacent, all his needs were met by the system. He was getting a check every month that he budgeted to pay for a place to sleep, he was given two free meals a day and he spent the other amount on drugs and prostitutes.

Meeting the needs without accountability on the part of people that are homeless leads to complacency. They accept and adopt this lifestyle.

Businesses obviously are reluctant to hire a homeless person because of the stigma that goes along with it, and of course the real and obvious risk that when these people do get paid they will blow their money on booze or drugs.

Social programs must be made available to those that are genuine candidates for such help. I am talking real programs. Education for example is something I never saw when I was homeless. Real job training in a carrier field that has opportunity for the right person could greatly change a persons life. Like they say give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. Job training is what a lot of homeless people need in order to return to mainstream life with everyone else.

Hand outs in my opinion for the majority of homeless people are wasted efforts. They end up perpetuating a lifestyle that these people have become all too accustomed too. Now before you bash me on that statement remember I was homeless myselfi. I know what it is like to sleep in a wooded area or on top of a building. (police aren't nice to homeless people, you learn quickly where to hide in cities that have no camping laws)

What needs to be done is reintegration training into normal life. Programs that allow people that have become homeless that can offer a contribution to society a chance to prove themselves while at the same time learning a trade that perhaps in their former life they did not know. At the same time let them live somewhere where they have a sense of belonging and a sense of this is "my" place. This helps immensely with the loss of individuality that comes with homelessness. But at the same time make this place restricted in the fact that they also have to relearn normal social skills that fall to the wayside when a person becomes homeless.

So my solution goes in this order, it is the simple order of survival...

1. Give them a place to stay:, Homeless shelters provide this, but homeless people need to get started on a program to end the dependency on these places as fast as possible. The ones that can work need to be accountable for their place to stay.

2. Get them to work: This flows with step 1. Get these people something they can do to occupy their time, whether it is a real job or training for a new job, get them busy doing something that will contribute to society as a whole.

3. Encouragement and Counseling: remind these people that they do have something to contribute to society and that they can get out of this. This also would help the massive problem of those that cannot work due to a mental handicap. You have to identify these people and evaluate them on what they need and what they can do. If there is a drug or alcohol problem that is inhibiting them from working deal with this problem. A person is not going to drag themselves out of the gutter if they are so overwhelmed by their life that the only escape is through the use of drugs or alcohol. Regularly scheduled evaluations and drug testing would quantify this.

and finally...

4. Cut off the ones that refuse to help themselves: If a person is so complacent and so accustomed to the life of being homeless and refuses to do anything to help themselves get out of this situation. Cut them off, cut them off from free food, free clothing, free anything. If you can work and can make life better for yourself and refuse to do so, then you do not need to be here. This is harsh I know but I am not talking about the ones with an obvious mental disorder or the ones that physically cannot help themselves. This is a select few that just refuse to help themselves out of a bad situation and sponge off of others charity. Cut these people off and let them die.

As far as the ones that are out there that cannot help themselves through a mental or physical handicap. This one is more difficult. Treatment (
I MEAN REAL FREAKING TREATMENT
) needs to be offered to these people. What all too often happens is these people get left dangling and are through their condition not properly treated. They get the worst of the worst medical and psychological treatment available. They are given drugs that do not work or are over medicated or under medicated. They are also given sub standard medical care because of their status. Real evaluations of these people need to be done and in some cases perpetual hospitalization may be the answer.

This all of course is just my opinion of what should be done to combat the issue, just my opinion, one man that has been there and has made it out.

[edit on 3/16/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by csulli456

I hear you man. As I said earlier the this thread disturbed me.

The comments about the AMerican indians are messed up. American government officials, THE WHITEMAN broke every agreement they ever signed in with the natives american in the first place.

It didn't matter what it was. The whole annexing of mexico, california and the west coast is one big joke. Manifest destiny right. What is a house when you don't own the deed. Who invented a deed anyway, natives weren't claiming lands you know. It's not like they were holding it down like crips and bloods over this territory and this block. Totally foreign concepts started by profiteers and speculators.

Speculation is the reason we have this issue now. I don't want to go into how this all ties into Germany and the elitist lie, I figure a lot of you all alredy know that story, HOPEFULLY.

Otherwise, keep believing the lies until the end...

What contract matters when the other party does not hold up its end of the bargain, then knocks you off to not have any witnesses.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Good, I wish you success in life. Hard work pays off eventually.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
reply to post by chromatico

reply to post by dismanrc

Theoretically I can eventually acquire a car to give to the person that I sold one to before I had a car to actually sell.

A bank can lend out 10 times what it has on hand. If a bank has but $1 it can lend $10. Now, why that should this criminal practice be legal? It's beyond misrepresentation -- banks do not merely just say that they have money when they do not have it, they also sell loans that represent money that they do not have. Plain and simple - this is fraud.

Banks are allowed to create infinite debt when in fact there is not at least the equivalent amount of money printed or in circulation to repay every loan sold. Banks are allowed to create money out of nothing. That is fraud perpetrated on the people and society.

Banks selling loans to people is analogous to people signing up to inject themselves with a deadly disease in order to compete for a severely limited supply of vaccine. Even if the cards are extremely well played by each person many will die.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Areal51]

Well said and this hits the nail squarely on the head. I agree that ignorance has a lot to do with the current situation BUT my real and intense hatred goes towards the chicken necked federal reserve vultures and the hoodwinkers that set it up. Yes boys and girls, this started back in 1913, this has been going on for quite some time. The good ol' US of A is ever so slowly getting sucked dry by the banker parasites and with money they print out of THIN AIR. How about that, this country is being bought out with monopoly money.

I've got news for you all and I suggest you listen up. America is heading to hell in a handbasket and for most it's going to catch them totally by surprise. The ONLY thing that will save us is a mass turn back towards God and then some rather bloody 'civil disobedience'.

I like to think of myself as not being the doomsayer type but deep in my gut I think it's too late but we'll see.

In the meantime.. WAKE UP sheep!

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ViewFromTheStars

The economy is so much worse than it was in 1913. Got it.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think this is an important thread.

If you review the article again, this is actually setup by the local government to help these people out. The concern is more that this is quickly becoming permanent. Is this the tip of the iceberg?

- Have these people borrowed too much money? Yes probably
- Did they want to buy to live the life shown on TV and in the movies? Yes probably
- Should they have read the fine print on the loan? Yes probably
- Were they heavily sold the loan without have the consequences explained? Yes probably
- Did the salesperson and local bank make money from this? Yes
- Did it sell the debt on through the markets? Yes
- Does this debt need to be repaid? Yes
- Will this cause banks to default? Yes
- Should the Fed let the banks default? Yes
- But, did the Fed bail them out? Yes
- Will they get the money for the bail out by borrowing yet more money? Yes
- Will this debt need to be repaid? Yes (eventually)

Who will ultimately pay? The American people (and globally) in the form of taxes, changes in jobs, standard of living and social unrest.

This is a personal tragedy for those involved and the system is circular.
The bigger question is deciding the type of society we want to live in, its values and system.

It all links together and is important we make decisions looking at the bigger picture.
It is a bad situation that is really difficult to manage, there is no quick fix.

It is all quite worrying at the moment.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So yea im about to go insane. The price of EVERYTHING keeps going up. Gas, food, etc..... Even our mortgage went up when we had a fixed rate for 30 yrs.... They couldnt even explain properly why.....kept changing their story over and over...... I live with my sister and her husband... Thats 3 of us paying the mortgage. Everything was good last year.... but ever since the increase of consumer goods its been a struggle to keep up with the payments. I see empty houses all around my block........ guess what nobody is moving in anytime soon..... Why should us HARD working americans suffer??

The economy suffers because we are not able to afford anything besides what is needed. Than you have a chain reaction and everything starts to slowly crumple. My in law has his own business which is slowly getting worse. All because his customers just cant afford to go an pay for his services.

The situation gets worse by the day. A bag of rice that cost $8 last time is now at $16.

Call me when the revolution begins.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by akoviem

And you have found what made me homeless to begin with...

I fortunately did not have a mortgage to contend with along with everything else and paid rent. Renter's get evicted when they cannot pay rent.

It is a downward spiral that happened in the 1970's it's happening again.

Inflation, gas prices, mortgage payments, its all the same thing people were complaining about in the 1970's

While international spending keeps going up (The War in Iraq)) The money for internal affairs stagnates and suffers. Billions are spent in a war that 62% of the American people are against. The people of this country that could use that money to benefit themselves and the American economy is stagnant.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I concurr. One cannot just burn up the national credit card and never expect there to be any consequences...but that is just what is being done with the war in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
It serves them right.
If you take out a loan you can't possibly repay, or you fail to read the fine print, then you lose your home.

Sure, the financial institutions offered loans in a way that made them look very attractive while markets were rising, but they didn't forge your signature on the papers.

If you can't pay you're out.
Go live in a tent if you're that stupid or rent an apartment, because you deserve it.

First, I live in LA and it's on the news here. Second, and most importantly, This housing crisis is effecting all of us. We own two contracting business that are really in trouble. No one is building. No one is making improvements to their homes either. We also own a restaurant...guess what? That's being effected too! People aren't going out to eat. They are protecting what little they do have.

We have never in our lives hurt like we're hurting now. Our mortgage isn't our problem. In fact, it's the least of our worries right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join