It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crime-Busters Turned Snoopers

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Crime-Busters Turned Snoopers

www.lompocrecord.com

A team of research analysts at Syracuse University has been tracking the FBI's activity in domestic crime investigations. The results are revealing.

For example, in 2007, the FBI made 2,300 referrals of cases to be prosecuted to the U.S. Justice Department. In 1993, the FBI made 20,900 such referrals.

Two decades ago, FBI investigations contributed 36 percent of the total cases prosecuted by the Justice Department. Last year, the FBI referrals were down to 16 percent.

So, if FBI agents aren't investigating crime in the United States, what are they doing? Ferreting out terrorists, apparently, and invading your privacy in the process.

Internal audits indicate the FBI has continued, and even expanded, its pursuit of information on American citizens - made possible by the Patriot Act - although it was ordered by a federal judge last year to cease and desist.

The judge's ruling came after testimony that the FBI had issued more than 140,000 “national security letters” in the period from the beginning of 2003 through 2005. In his ruling, the federal judge called such snooping the “legislative equivalent of breaking and entering.”

So, in the opinion of at least one judge, instead of solving crime and helping to put criminals behind bars, the FBI has instead focused its energies on violating the privacy rights of U.S. citizens.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
All hail (or should I say seig heil) The Patriot Act! Shows how all this was designed to keep us so much safer...Now instead of the FBI doing anything BUT find and bust criminals, they are wasting more time and resources than ever in history SPYING ON AMERICANS FOR OUR GOVERNMENT.

Way to go guys!

www.lompocrecord.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

DD, your links are broken. Please fix them!

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It's not only the FBI spying on you, your neighbors are being encouraged to as well!

Crime-Beat: Tips From Public Help Nab Criminals

[edit on 3/10/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Sleuth-Link is fixed. Thanks for the HU!

You got that right Jack! They want everyone spying on everyone! Spying and surveillance seems to be an obsession with them.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I find it pretty interesting that we both come across "crime" stories the same day, from two opposite ends of the new surveillance-society.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Life in America is becoming more and more surreal. When I was a kid in the 60's I never anticipated seeing the kind of things I'm seeing these days. It's pretty damn scary what's happening here.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

Before 9/11, if you had told me that warrantless bag searches would be deemed Constitutional, I would have laughed in your face. Heck, for that matter, I had a tough time believing it when it actually happened. Seeing troops posted in Grand Central Terminal was another surreal moment for me.

[edit on 3/10/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Agreed. Same goes for what's happening at the airports. I took my mother in for a flight recently and I felt like I was entering Nazi Germany. They looked us both over that closely.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

I refuse to fly because of all the security. I wonder how many other people feel that way. Maybe this is the real reason airlines are losing customers, not the fears that the government keeps trying to pump us up with.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This is nothing far from disgrace how our government is working against its citizens.

I guess they most be very scare of the people of this nation that they need to act like snoopers to the point of using all their resources.

And to think that they are using our own tax payer money to work against us.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
A good find once again. I will be flying with my 2 young children in a week and I am extremely skeptical about how it will play out (of course I want to see a UFO). I just hope that they let me on w/ my childs formula. Do you think I should bring an unopened can? However, I haven't had to go through many security measures while flying before.

DD, I think that you have hit the nail on the head with the security "measures" that the govt is pursing. Soon it will be a crime to walk out and get the paper in a robe. When is it going to stop and what do we have to do to get it stopped?

top topics

join