It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping the Value of Your Money in an Economic Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This thread is for discussion regarding how to keep the value of money when headed for an economic crisis. I'm planning on investing in another currency (other than US Dollars) and I'm trying to decide which one. What led me to that descion?

Well, besides the horrible condition of the housing market, the problems that the banks are having, and the fact that oil is not going to be traded in dollars much longer, it's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that the dollar is headed down.

Today I was read the Global Europe Anticipation Bulletin which is predicting September 2008 as the tipping point.

From that same source the advice for people like me, living in the US is to invest in metals or major currencies.

I am looking specifically at the Euro and the Yuan. I figure the Euro will be pretty stable, and that the Yuan is said to be under valued. What are your thoughts on this?

Before someone tells me to buy land and start a garden or stock up beef jerky, I want to head that off by saying that I am taking some preparedness steps, and while buying land or a house wouldn't be feasible for me at the moment, this is about holding on to the value in the money I have saved.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'd go with the Euro.

The Yaun is artificially propped up in value and when the dollar goes real south, the true value of this will show. The Chinese has too much invested in USA bonds, stocks, and general property so it will be a double hit for them. They will have to respond by dropping their value.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The yuan is tied directly to the U. S dollar. Yuan has colllasped many times throughout it's history. Euro will suffer but not as much as dollar.

Precious metals good bet with silver most upside, short term Swiss Treasuries, Swiss Frank.

In time of hyperinflation food storage will be your biggest gain. Imagine paying triple or more for simple staples. It will be tough to triple your money on any other investment because people will have to stop investing to buy staples.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the input. I see your point. The Euro is looking like the currency of choice.

I agree about silver, but I wonder how easy it will be to trade silver in the future. I would say it is a good thing to buy and save, but I wouldn't want to put all my money into it. And I also agree about staples. It's easy enough to keep extra sugar and salt around. I think diversity is the best insurance however.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Buy land outright.

Purchase a variety of fruit trees.

Grid it out; every 10' on center.

If you still have too much cash.... go to your local scrapyard and select the big pile with 1/4" plate steel scrap in it. Ask how much to have it delivered to your location. Hire a welder and put him to work.

Growth portfolio,

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
the World currency market is like a house of cards, remove the dollar from the equation, and it will all fall down. Too many countries still pin their currency to the US dollar and the rest are dependent on foreign aid from the US to stay viable.

If the dollar collapses, all the foreign currency will be of little use to you. You'll be forced to convert it into US dollars or lose it, and you'll need a wheelbarrow to haul it around like the Germans did after WWI to pay for a loaf of bread. German workers insisted on being paid at noon as prices fluctuated by th hour for foodstuffs and consumer goods.

Maybe you should invest in wheelbarrows instead.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Two options are available to you based on whether you are preparing for:

A) global economic collapse

B) global societal collapse

For economic collapse preparedness, id say buy metals futures (Basically allows you to own many tonnes of metals such as aluminium and nickel, gold and silver without the need to physically own it).

For societal collapse, the above mentioned strategy wont work, because the stock exchange will have collapsed and you will be left with a piece of worthless paper! To prepare for this, buy krugerrands and gold bullion, silver coins, firearms and tools etc etc.

I would personally prepare for scenario A and if scenario B came around i would play it by ear and make the best of it that i could.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
your best bet would be goods, as any form of currency would be worthless in any account....

on your local level people would price things as they felt or needed.... goods that people need such as can openers, knives, tools, firearms, clothes, pens, hats an gloves lol

just goto your goodwill an fill yer basement lol.... anyways its all gonna come down to if you can protect yourself.... your info will be the best curency.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
That's a good point. I am taking various classes about practical skills like foraging, and buying books about various things like that. Investing in skills and knowledge is always good.

I heard a rumor today that the Euro is going to be backed by gold sometime, maybe soon. Good news if it's true.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
why don't you do like Im doing. Buy apartment complexes with no less than 40 units. Anything less is considered ''black hole'' meaning all your money will get sucked in to it and if you aren't careful so will your profits. Big deal we are having a housing slump. Perfect for apartment owners. Its the best time to buy.
Build a team of professionals wherever you want to purchase and do your homework. Develop a plan for success and when you go to lenders for money, remember it is the professionals that make you credible, not your bank account or credit history.
People who understand apartment and commercial rental economics know apartment buildings get their value from the system of cashflow. The more efficient the system the more its worth.
Many owners in this business are complacent and unaware of many opportunities because they take the path of least resistance. But by doing your homework and having a TEAM of PROFESSIONALS you WILL succeed....

I say we all buy as much property and businesses as possible and take our power back from these greedy bastards

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Maybe invest a little of that money into learning a skill that would be more needed if it all collasped?

I mean, if we can no longer buy our clothes from overseas and don't really have much of an industry in place here to pick up that slack. seems to reason, some seamstresses might be able to pick up a pretty good business sewing clothing for people....
as far as currencies go, I'd go with the euro.
as far as metals go, silver.....of course, if the economy melts down, the banks might want the silver and gold pretty bad to help them pay off their debts and keep running, but then, well...they would probably be willing to buy yours, wouldn't they?

sty

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I would buy Gold. When the US$ will collaps, the Euro and british £ etc would floow. Then all the people will ask for a gold-backed system again. God can be thrusted.

the link does not work , just visit www.ebay.com and search for "gold bullion"

[edit on 12-3-2008 by sty]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Just get gold coins... gold has been the worlds currency for thousands of years.. until China decided to take gold away from the people and issue paper money.. sounds familiar? we need to get back to gold ...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by iiinvision

good idea start a REIT type of thing..strip centers are out of the question.. but multifamily should be stable..

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think about this all the time. Currently, I've been plotting a strategy to be safe from the supposed "collapse." Whether recession, depression, or all out war, I want to have my bases covered. I'm currently thinking about throwing $40,000 USD, converted of course, into a Swiss Bank Account. They have the highest security restrictions in the world and have an economy strong enough to rise above a lacking industry. Though, I'm just as lost as everybody else out there.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I was also thinking of buying apartment complex's and homes for rentals,but the bottom line is if everyone is broke they can't afford rent,could you imagine trying to evict people from a 40 unit apt building?,you would be opening a can of worms,and as far as the police helping,by that time they will be non existant,I can really see no fail safe way,only thing I can see is a barter system,money will be worth the paper it's written on

new topics

top topics

join