It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloud Computing-A Way To Control Us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
computer.howstuffworks.com...

I was reading this article about cloud computing and I think this type of computer is a horrible idea. No hard drive or applications will be stored in the computer. Programs and files would be stored in a central database, accesible by internet.

Are people actually going to let someone else hold all of their files and programs? This seems like it could be a way of controling what type information is accesed by people. Also people could probobly be monitored without even knowing it. And if your not around any internet access, then you won't be able to use the computer or access your files.

I'm hoping it's just a passing fad. I don't think it will catch on, as these types of computers are far less powerful because they don't need as many components to funtion. This will probobly be a turn off to gamers and techies, which make up a good chunk of the market.

Does anyone else see a problem with this type of computing system?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Some more info-

gigaom.com...

www.technologyreview.com...

Many people say the internet can't be shut down, but with a system like this it could be rendered useless, from hackers or physical attacks on these massive server warehouses.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is nothing new. Back in the days of mainframes, this is was the rule of the day, except it wasn't called cloud computing, it was called Network Computing, each Mainframe could be accessed by a Dumb Terminal. As for all of us using this for all of our needs, I doubt it. Maybe for Internet TV and Video games, but I see this as a much more useful tool for science and engineering than for consumers.

As for the internet being rendered useless....
If that were to happen, then people will just go back to a BBS style of networking, except the only difference is it'll be high speed, wireless and meshed to a backbone somewhere. The difference? The governments would have no control over local Mesh networks, they could only interfere with backbone access(as long as the backbone remains physically in a country). The new XO laptop has meshing capabilities giving 3rd world countries the ability to setup their own ad-hoc networks. Just imagine this technology in the west!?!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
Many people say the internet can't be shut down, but with a system like this it could be rendered useless, from hackers or physical attacks on these massive server warehouses.

The internet will not be shut down. Too much money involved, directly and indirectly. Advertisers make a a really good profit on virtual space and twenty lines of coding...you know?

As for Cloud Computing...

It is an example, in my opinion, of claiming or presenting an extreme scenario in order to gain acceptance for the 'lesser effect', or what is already being done.

You should research "Trusted Computing", a collaboration between MicroSoft, IBM and other notables.

"The technical idea underlying treacherous computing is that the computer includes a digital encryption and signature device, and the keys are kept secret from you. (Microsoft's version of this is called "palladium.") Proprietary programs will use this device to control which other programs you can run, which documents or data you can access, and what programs you can pass them to. These programs will continually download new authorization rules through the Internet, and impose those rules automatically on your work. If you don't allow your computer to obtain the new rules periodically from the Internet, some capabilities will automatically cease to function."

I think that it's already here

There are personal files that are kept on your personal hard drive. And then there are the various programs that your computer relies on to operate in the manner that you have grown accustomed that require periodic 'internet downloads/updates'.

Why do you think that is? Since we don't routinely take a look at the exact coding being downloaded, we don't really know. Could be many things.

But if we apply Ochams Razor, we can see that a corporate entity(ies) provided the computer; hardware and software. Where money is involved, I would utilize trust as a last option.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sardion2000

Yeah, the government uses this a lot, my dad worked for USGS and I got to learn all the nifty aspects of the way the network works in his gov office, this was like the beginning of internet days, and to this day they still use it.

but to the OP, I think a lot of people who are not tech savvy will buy into this, seeing that it could be marketed much cheaper than a regular CPU, that comes with high speed internet!
CPU geeks are a lot of the regular CPU market, but I think thats what this idea is trying to battle, I totally see this popping up in all kinds of homes that would have never bought even a computer in the first place, not to mention internet as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I can see this becoming really popular with much of the market...those who only really use their computer for surfing, watching videos, and messaging, but the advantages (faster speed and privacy) of localized computing are too great to ever really be overtaken by cloud computing, in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I used to work at Corel back in the late 90's and this was supposed to happen over the following 2-3 years. Their explanation was that by doing it this way, people couldn't copy software anymore.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah, Trusted Computing is the real stinker in the IT world today, and it is in effect. I refused to upgrade WGA and promptly lost access to Messenger. No biggie.
Then I started dating again so I hbroke down and downloaded it
Women > Anti-WGA

The only useful mass market application that I can think of for Cloud Computing is Uberly Massive Online Gaming/Virtual Worlds(Millions per server potentially)

[edit on 10-3-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a way to controll us? no a pain in the arse? yes. my tafe uses this system and its a total pain, everythig takes ages to loadand 10% of the time photoshop files are lost and they cant figure out why.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

Its a nifty concept and would help business people endlessly.
Being able to load your desktop from any computer (I guess it would cease being a computer and start being a terminal huh?) would have some perks.
Not that it interests me all that much but that is after all just me.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The US-Microsoft anti-trust case was motivated by actions taken by Microsoft when they realized the Web would make the operating system obsolete. More and more services are being moved online, rather than being handled by a local software client (consider email). Microsoft saw this when they designed their .NET architecture and made Internet Explorer the part of the operating system that you use to browse files on your computer.

Right now, the computer is like what the electric motor was a century ago. An electric "home motor" such as that sold by Sears was a fine, precision-engineered, versatile household convenience. You could purchase various attachments that would allow you to use your motor as a clothes-washing appliance or a fan for cooling and ventilation.

The idiom of practical computing right now is grounded in spatial metaphors, tied to a relatively large piece of physical equipment. Today we have a computer where we keep our things: we store "files" in "folders" on our "desktop." Even as we become accustomed to "mobile" Internet connectivity, we are still "scrolling" through web "pages" and looking in our "address book."

When the Internet first became popular, I remember how strange it was when people talked about having the Internet "on" their computers, as though the Internet were a software application. The physical nature of today's computers reinforce the spatial metaphors that are so common in practical computing.

Before long, however, cities will approach Internet connectivity like a municipal utility service. When all your files are stored "out there" where you can get at and edit them with equal ease at home or on the road, and this ease is as much taken for granted as getting a glass of clean water in an American city today, the spatial metaphors will lose their meaning... they will become like proper nouns, no longer descriptive... like "dialing" a number on your cell phone, or getting up when you hear the phone "ring." The metaphor will be apt, but the mechanical description will be absent.

Computer power will be a resource, like water. Every device with a chip in it will work like SETI@Home. From a market perspective this may be inevitable, as Moore's Law will hit a ceiling around 2050. Around 2050, the wires inside computer chips will become so small that the classical physics governing their operation will break down, and quantum effects will take over. Can't have bits just popping into and out of existence, kinda defeats the purpose of computing. So novel approaches to processor design will become important, as will novel approaches to computation as a resource, if consumers continue to demand increased performance every few years.

top topics

join