It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God's Name is "Jealous"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It's right there in the Bible, at Exodus 34:13. Moses has trudged up Mount Sinai with a second pair of stone tablets, on which God will write the Ten Commandments. Moses and the Big G engage in some repartee, then God says:

"For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God"

This is straight out of the King James Version. God reveals "his" own name: Jealous.

In the original Hebrew, the key words in this verse are SHEM and QANNA. According to one of the standard reference works in this area - A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Hebrew Bible by james Strongs - shem is a noun meaning "name." One of its specific denotations is "the Name (as designation of God)." The word qanna means "jealous" and is applied only to God.

Why isn't this mentioned in Sunday School? Perhaps because it could lead to children pledging, "One nation, under Jealous," people cursing, "Jealous damn it!" or the government stamping on its currency: "In Jealous we trust."

But if you are going to accept the Bible, then you have to accept it when God reveals his own name, no matter how odd or silly.

May Jealous have mercy on my soul.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Delusioners can a look at some synonyms for the name "Jealous" in the event they find it hard to call their imaginary fiend by that name. "Jehovah Jaundiced" anyone?

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
And 'Danger is my middle name.'

Get it?

It is true: God does not want us worshiping false gods. That seems fair.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Exactly ASH....God is saying:

I am the one who created you, created all, it is mine, you are mine...and to deny that and worship someone who has no hand in it makes me jealous. And that feeling is embedded in all of us. He has given us that emotion. When you date or marry someone you love, you give them everything....emotional support, financial support, friendship, etc....you give your all for them....when they screw you over or start to "worship/love" someone else we get what? JEALOUS! All that work we did to make him/her happy is being thrown to the side for someone else..no matter the reason....and it sparks that feeling of hurt, pain, and JEALOUSY!

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grock
"For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God"

Don't stop there. God revealed many names to us through the scriptures. Each one shows a different attribute or facet of God.

The Names of God

We know what God is like, not only by His perfections and works, but also by His names. They tell us many things about God’s care and concern for his own.

• Yahweh Jireh (Yireh): “The Lord will provide.”
  • Yahweh Shalom: “The Lord is Peace.”
  • Yahweh Elohim Israel: “The Lord, the God of Israel.”

.. visit link for full article.

As I was saying looking at God via his names is much like looking at a multi-faceted diamond. As you turn the diamond and look at it from different angles you'll see red, green, blue, white and a whole rainbow of colors. The diamond doesn't change, it's your point of view that changes.

Is God jealous? Yes but God is also loving, fierce, terrible, caring, and forgiving. His appearance and nature depends on you the observer. If you want to view God as simply a jealous God then you can, but you're doing yourself a disservice by fixing your gaze on only one point of view.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
EDIT: Ugh. Never mind. I'll just ignore the trolls.

[edit on 3/8/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest. 2 And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount. 3 And no man shall come up with thee, neither let any man be seen throughout all the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds feed before that mount. 4 And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. 6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, 7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yes God can be jealous, he loves you so much he wants some of your time and attention though he won't force you. God wants a relationship with you, he wants nothing more than to spend time with you. When you choose the TV over God he will be jealous of that time....when you ignore God and concentrate all your time on _________, he is also jealous. He doesn't ask that 100% of your time is focused on him, not even 90%, just a balanced amount because he cares so deeply for you.

Give him some and see what he gives back.

Blessings....

[edit on 3/8/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Once again its people without understanding blaming God...

In the dictionary, go search it

(Jealous)

One of its definitions is...

(((((( Intolerant of rival )))))))))))))

Thats a definition in the websters dictionary of Jealous...

so it just means, God is intolerant of other Gods..

Thats not a sin on Gods part, as hes perfect...

:shk:

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
(Jealous)

One of its definitions is...

(((((( Intolerant of rival )))))))))))))

Thats a definition in the websters dictionary of Jealous...so it just means, God is intolerant of other Gods..

Thats not a sin on Gods part, as hes perfect...

:shk:

Wait. God is admitting there are other Gods?

Whoa!

Any idea who these would be?

You know the thing about Heaven that's kinda strange as described is that when you go there, it's not like a country club.

You spend eternity gazing at God and giving 110% of your attention to 'Him'. You don't fly around like Angels. You just worship God.

I mean it's supposed to be very satisfying and having had a 'heavenly' experience, you just want to be there and bask in eternal ecstacy.

Still it sounds a bit odd that God would want this. Apparently you lose all free will, or stop exercising it.

[edit on 8-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Once again a feeble human mind with no understanding..

God st paul is awesome when he said..

" These men blapsheme everything they don't understand "

badge im not saying what you said is blapshemy, just don't let your limited mind cause you denial of God...

Have you ever seen a beautiful women?

you don't want to stop looking... I know I cant sometimes....

Now, God (made) that beauty...... Can you even imagine how beautiful God is?

Yet that womenly beauty God made is only outward appearance, but God will let us see his beauty unimaginable, inward and outward...

have you ever heard of a beautiful soul? This is the inward beauty of a good soul...

Now just because we gaze at God (trust me you wouldnt want to stop gazing if you seen him)

doesnt mean we cant fly around...... or talk to the saints...

the joy you would experience is unimaginable, I repeat unimaginable..

Not including all the senses being affected..... the smell, the eyes, the hearing ect....

with the most joyess things you cant even grasp Badge....

Think about this...

God designed our bodies, our world, even the thought of joy....

So how, tell me how can this same God not know how to make us happy for eternity?

You say people who created a goofy country club can make us happy, yet God cant?

your mind is either shallow or just has no understanding...

Yea country clubs are good. You golf, eat, look at trees ect ect.......

I get it, but that cannot even come close to heaven.... This is just something you will have to learn if you get there which I hope you do.

peace.

[edit on C:/120502465717America/ChicagoSat, 08 Mar 2008 19:04:17 -060017/Mar by JesusisTruth]

new topics

top topics

join