It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thinking

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Just a quick thought:-

Did the uk really kill the foas or did it just go black?

OK the uk is devloping UCAV's, but for personal reasons i cannot see the old men at the mod/raf buying a unmanned tornado replacement.

I also cannot see the F35 being used as a long range strike package.

Thoughts?, or have i finally lost the plot!

RAB

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
??? Unmaned Panvia Tornado replacement?
Why shall UK refitted PT as unmaned aircraft?
Unmaned Tornado is not a question concerning F-35 to be long range attacker......

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I think he meant the replacement being unmanned not a unmanned PT.

The UK Government loves to cancel projects when they get to the point of having to buy something. I belive you right the replacement project will look at UCAV for the long range strike role, probably to come into service a decade after the tornado is goes out of service. So I guess the role will end up dropping on the F-35.

link   
triple post!

[edit on 4-3-2008 by deckard83]

link   
triple post!

[edit on 4-3-2008 by deckard83]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The most likely Tornado replacement (or the current preferred option) is a UCAV force combined with a version of the two seat Typhoon in which a Typhoon 'flight leader' operates with two or more UCAV 'wingmen'. I would also expect to see a two seat F-35 at least proposed for the role.

This concept evolved directly from FOAS but I am sure that some degree of 'black' work is still ongoing towards this aim over and above the programmes we have been told about.

I am still waiting for the time whe the Govt says we must find collaborative partners or end the project altogether.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
In a wonderful world the US interim bomber would be ideal, it would give the UK a long range strike ability which has been lacking since the mid 80's. In addition it would be of mutual interest for the US, when was the last time they were able to lower the unit costs of their bomber purchases, not to mention making a few quid.
Having said that, I think that the RAF will be fortunate if they survive for another decade.

Jensy

top topics

join