It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40,000 Exposed to Hepatitis, HIV in Las Vegas Clinic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

40,000 Exposed to Hepatitis, HIV in Las Vegas Clinic

www.novinite.com

A clinic in Las Vegas may have infected 40,000 people with Hepatitis C virus and HIV due to improper medical procedures, US health officials reported.

An investigation determined that \"unsafe injection practices related to the administration of anaesthesia medication might have exposed patients to the blood of other patients,\" CNN reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
That number if infected could multiply buy the people that have it with out knowing they have it.

Unreal, After all the care we are supposed to take on helping out awareness something like this happens.

Are they doing this on purposely? Population control?
Or is it just plain stupidity of not watching what they are doing?

www.novinite.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
related links
Review Journal
News.com
CBS

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

Holy cow...

Holy Cult of the Dead Cow!

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Imagine what it would be like if this is true and 40000 people are infected.
One person can infect a lot of people. that could spread fast.
Airports - to different states and countries
how many are going to infect their children with out realizing it and the kids
infect other kids in school.
Kinda scary.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
40,000 is the number of people who have been through the clinic that was reusing the needles, not the number of people who were actually exposed to hep and HIV.

Mayor Godman has closed the place down and is bringing the 4 doctors who own the place in before the city council.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by cavscout]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
One person can infect a lot of people. that could spread fast.
Airports - to different states and countries

It just dont work like that. We are talking about hep C and HIV here. The people who are at risk of contracting these from those exposed at the clinic are already high risk due to their lifestyles, excluding maybe spouses who pick them up through sexual contact.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

Yeah, 'cause out of 40,000 people, how many could possibly have spouses, right?
Lemme guess, they "deserve it"?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
You can catch HIV through any body fluid

What I mean is some one on a plane could sneeze some one could breath the vapor in.

Saliva carries the virus, my step uncle had it, he took extra care, rubber gloves and such.

The 40000 that been through the clinic MAY have it.
I'm sure they haven't tested all of them, and I'm sure they didn't bring all of them back in to the clinic. How many spread it not realizing they have it.

I'm not saying they all have it but out of that number how many do from this clinic's malpractice ?

[ed] heres a little list of ways of contact

[edit on 2/29/2008 by EvilBat]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Yeah, 'cause out of 40,000 people, how many could possibly have spouses, right?
Lemme guess, they "deserve it"?

Where the hell did that come from?

Relax. Take a walk, some prozac. No one is attacking you and no one said they deserve it, just that the majority of people who have to fear getting sick from the victims of this are already high risk. Being high risk, the probablity of thier getting sick probably wont go up much. It aint ebola or TB, you usually have to do something to get it.

apc

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Don't confuse exposure with infection. Probability of HIV infection through tainted needles is less than 5% (it's less than 3% through vaginal sex). I can't find anything online but I've recall the chances are higher for Hep-C.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

I tend to expect the worst of conservative rhetoric from you. Forgive my hastiness.

However there's still a sizable health risk from this. HIV and Hep C aren't the only blood-borne diseases out there. And with that many possible people infected, well, it's pretty staggering.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
You can catch HIV through any body fluid

What I mean is some one on a plane could sneeze some one could breath the vapor in.
Umm no, Its not transmitted this way, if it was we would all have it by now. i'm sorry but this is just wrong, and misinformation.

Saliva carries the virus, my step uncle had it, he took extra care, rubber gloves and such.
Saliva does carry small amounts of the virus, the likely hood of this type of transmission is about as good as getting hit by a rock from space... There are far to many variables, and the virus itself is very fragile.

your uncle was just looking out for his family, this type of transmission is highly unlikely.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by C0le]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
I tend to expect the worst of conservative rhetoric from you. Forgive my hastiness.

Forgiven, but I am not a conservative so I dont know where you get that from.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

What I find most ironic is that you are giving misinformation on the methods of transmission, yet include a link with a complete list of them that you obviously didnt read.

You would think in this day and age we can at least understand what is, and what isnt a risk and stop scaring people....

Stop the misinfo.... please

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Wonder if they were just reusing needles after autoclaving or if they truly didn't sterilize the equipment? The article doesn't appear to give specifics.

In addition, one of the dirty little secrets of medical procedures is that many types of endoscopy and colonoscopy equipment can not be completely sterilized due to the complexity of the electronics. Though they use gas-sterilization, it doesn't completely remove tissue that becomes embedded in the nooks and crannies inside the equipment. Several studies have turned up actual blood and body fluids inside.

Though doctors, tending toward arrogance, rarely wash their hands between patients, I had no idea they were still being this cavalier with standard precautions. I hope they all lose their licenses, but most likely blame will be passed and they'll just get censured and fined.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is really scary.

My brother died eight years ago from hep C. Never knew where he contracted the disease he had donated blood, had a tattoo done at home and not in a shop and possibly even shot up dope.

The part that is interesting about hep C is that the body can carry it without manifesting symptoms for many years. He had a liver biopsy ten year before his body showed symptoms of the disease.

I noticed around the time that he got really sick there seemed to be alot of people around his same age beginning to manifest symptoms and get diagnosed with the disease.

The funny thing is when I told my doctor that I was around my sick bro alot and wanted to be tested he told me it wasn't necessary unless I had shared needles with him, which of course I didn't. My mother got stuck by a needle from his (brothers) diabetes shot, they did test her and she was negative but I had to pressure my doc to even test me. He did after three different requests and luckily it was negative.

My sister in law (divorced from my other brother) also contracted the disease and died very quickly. She never used needles but did have a tattoo done at home and she was risky with her sexual behavior.

I guess the main point I am attempting to make is that it doesn't seem to be as easily passed as you might think, but there does seem to be a common denominator not yet figured out and about 8 years ago many people around the age of 38 to 42 got real sick real fast after carrying the disease for a long time.

top topics

join