It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the members of AboveTopSecret.com, a gut-check

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Sky watcher
I guess this means that you too have some grudge against America?

I have a grudge against people who would seek to banish or destroy material and ideas they disagree with.

Interesting...

Do you, or do you not, also have a grudge against those who would seek to demean and belittle, in an attempt to quiet, those with whom you, or your associates disagree?

[edit on 3/1/2008 by darkbluesky]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Im cool with the graphics, and im cool with the warns and all that..

However, I am not cool with the level of post deletion that ATS does anymore.

Censorship is never good..

Warn em, put a graphic on it, add a little snide comment or what ever it is you want to do.. but only the worst of the worst should ever be deleted.

Just my .02

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And that is what got my blood pumping. He deleted what I quoted him on completely saying it was to large of a quote and penalized me points when it was only like five sentences just because he didn't like what I had quoted him on, Now if thats not censorship then I don't know what is.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Please, your input is valuable to this forum. I respect and admire the three posters above me. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Will you wake up more people banned or posting?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Pardon? ..... er.. if I get warned or banned for anything I said in the post above me.. then this sure as hell is not a place I want to be anymore.. though I really doubt I would because I did not say anything abrasive.. just that SO engages in to much censorship.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Not so much your post...

I guess my overall concern is that I don't want members to get drawn further into drama when SO has already acknowledged that ATS is working on improving things at ATS.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Please, your input is valuable to this forum. I respect and admire the three posters above me. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Will you wake up more people banned or posting?

I don't see how my post could warrant a "warn" or a "ban".

I asked a question. How could anyone be banned for asking a question?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

If Sceptic bans me even after I have apologised for questioning his patriotism and saying that I want his opinion on the issue not just a blanket reason of free speech knowing that he is putting all of us at risk by having our good names associated with terrorist by allowing such activities here at ATS then I will be glad I'm gone.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
All inferences aside, SO can ban whomever he wants, T&C or not, it's his website. I just think the purpose of this thread was a peace offering to acknowledge that there are some tweaks to be made and issues to be addressed. I don't see the value of quality members getting in an uproar over semantics.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

This thread is NOT about the video, please use the complaint function or u2u S. O. for his "personal" opinion on the video.

Please only discuss the topic of this thread going forward.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hey, I'm new and I already see the "other opinion" bashing turning personal and have fallen bait a couple times myself.

The Mods are here to keep that from happening. For me, myself, I'll do whatever is needed to help. Keep up the good work. I know it can't be easy and I couldn't be a Mod.

Although, if I could quit my day job....

[edit on 3/1/2008 by idle_rocker]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don't see wht the problem is.

The admin have been more than forthcoming in letting us members know about various disruptions, which are occurring because our site content is so popular, which means growing pains occur.

Picking an obscure reason to have a moan is like cutting off the nose to spite the face - in other words, it doesn't make sense.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I find myself posting a lot less these days.

I've been on ATS under one name or another since mid-2003, and I've seen a lot of changes here... I never posted a lot, but now it's rare for me to contribute to more than one thread a week.

There are several reasons for this. One is positive-- the overall quality of the discussions which attract my attention here has improved significantly; every post is painstakingly researched and strewn with hyperlinks, and tends to reflect a well-supported opinion. As such, I tend to withhold many comments, seeing them more as private observations which, while salient, would not directly further a given discussion.

There are other reasons for my relative silence, however. Due in part to the aforementioned increase in the quality of (and the amount of research behind) many posts, and also in part to the collision of this intellectual atmosphere with the behavior of people unsuited to that sort of interaction, ATS tends to breed polarization. Many discussions quickly become divided to the extent that newcomers are drawn into one side of a debate which does not reflect the minutiae of their personal stance on the issue at hand.

Many posts which seem innocuous enough at first result in brief exchanges of flame, or in drawn-out exchanges of vitriol which continue until they attract the attention of a moderator.

Third (and on this I will be brief), there is (and once again this hearkens back to the first, positive point) a tendency toward haughtiness on the part of many ATS users both new and veteran. I believe that we all need to consider the opinions of others more seriously than we may naturally feel inclined to do, especially given the subjects which we discuss here; it is philosophically unsound to be too sure of one's own thoughts on matters so mysterious as those favored by Above Top Secret.

These are only my observations. I should mention in closing that I am proud to be a member of ATS, and that I feel the site has developed in a very positive direction, and will continue to do so. However, to fully realize its potential, both the membership of ATS and those who manage it must take care that each post contributes to the board's continued improvement.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Do you, or do you not, also have a grudge against those who would seek to demean and belittle, in an attempt to quiet, those with whom you, or your associates disagree?

I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. If you're referring to an episode yesterday where some passions ran too intense (as indicated in the opening post of this thread), it's one of the reasons I posted this thread.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I am not cool with the level of post deletion that ATS does anymore.

As I mentioned in the opening post, we're doing our best to apply a softer touch whenever possible.

Originally posted by Sky watcher
He deleted what I quoted him on completely saying it was to large of a quote and penalized me points when it was only like five sentences...

I only removed the large quote and an ENTIRE post. You've been a member long enough to know we prefer not to see entire posts quoted... especially nested quotes of quotes.

Originally posted by darkbluesky

I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. If you're referring to an episode yesterday where some passions ran too intense (as indicated in the opening post of this thread), it's one of the reasons I posted this thread.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
just that SO engages in to much censorship

I beg to differ. We (I and the staff) only remove or modify content that violates the terms and conditions.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
SO, I'm all for whatever will make ATS better. And I think this new approach may be the answer to many problems. I often remember that I was once new to these forums, and it was the guidance and examples of other members and mods that kept me from too many errors.

To those that don't know, I am a newbie Moderator. Just like a new member, I sometimes make mistakes, though not many as I have good support from other mods to keep me straight. I hope that everyone can keep in mind that mods are people too. We have feelings and opinions just like everyone else here.

I took this job, when asked, because I value what ATS is, what it means to the freedoms I hold dear. I try to do what is best for ATS at all times. When I'm wearing the moderator hat, I try to keep my personal feelings aside and be guided by the T&C. I will not allow myself to delete a post or a video just because I personally find it distasteful, but base my actions on the T&C. As a moderator on this site, I have agreed to uphold the T&C, and with everyones help, I won't have to work too hard.

I am encouraged by the number of people that care enough to to post here. It means that the world hasn't gone to hell, and that there are still a great many people who think deeply on a wide variety of subjects. It gives me hope for the future to see so many viewpoints, even those I disagree with. It means that we as a species are not stagnant and dying of terminal Paris Hilton Syndrome.

You; rather, we, are ATS. We are brothers and sisters in a movement to make our world a better place. And whatever I can do to help us achieve that I will. The key is working together. I think that the "new direction" will make that easier for all of us.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This is my take.

There is the ongoing challenge of the infrastructure to keep up with the growth of the site that requires what has been described as temporary measures to reduce the infrastructure load.

There is not only the ongoing growth, but the expected growth once ATS becomes the hub of the multi-media endeavors of the enterprise.

If ATS is to be a hub for these other media, some accommodations need to be made to make the place even more inviting than it has been in the past.

Some of the measures perhaps have had unintended consequences, for which adjustments have been made.

It takes a lot of technical knowledge, diplomacy, and entrepreneurial abilities to make such a enterprise successful and it is imperative that those in charge be able to anticipate and implement the changes that must be made to accommodate the effect of drawing people ATS through multiple avenues.

Ultimately, this being a user content dependent medium, it will work best when people are comfortable coming here to contribute, so adaptation is a given.

I read the OP and it seems that is what is being requested here.

A reappraisal of everything ATS on every level from user input, to technology, to hardware, to our sense of community.

I doubt that anyone has had this driven home as much as it has to me, so I'd say relax and go with the flow, contribute input and keep a positive attitude.

[edit on 2008/3/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Darn I was rather enjoying having them gone.
Was getting rather tired of having my past comments taken out of context and thrown back at me with everything but they wanted to say I was sawing edited out.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
The thing is, when change happens, you have two basic types of people:
Those who embrace change.
Those who resist change.

We had this instructor in Nursing School who spent a whole day talking about change. Went so far as to lable nurses in general 'Change Agents" Being a brash young lad of 24 I blew it off and moved on. But when I actaully began to practice that whole concept became very clear. As a transport nurse, I am an agent of change for my patient and for myself. I have to change my thought processes and skills to adapt to the evolving nature of healthcare.

In many ways the members here at ATS are Change Agents by bringing previously hidden or even taboo topics into the light WE are changing the nature of conspiracy and the myriad of other topics we discuss here.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I am so sorry you guys for checking out to soon on this enlightening thread. I have been working on a lot lately and the reading load can be tremendous besides my personal life. I just wanted you to know that I was shocked to find out that SO is actually a Cyborg! And that Springer actually admits to knowing him! Now Tell me, when he was 'Scanned' was he wearing a Tin Foil Hat?

Also bring it on Ducky! Any time any place! (But you'll have to bring the kwookies)

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Oh I have to agree with Fred T 100% on this one. No doubt it is amazing the level of information grows exponentially. I was so scared and paranoid at one point and was absolutely afraid to even touch on many of the subjects here for fear of being called crazy or getting the raised eye brow. But you know, all of that is past. I will no longer fear discussing the truths of the world that surrounds me. I have found here the courage to speak the truth and to stand up for myself and the mystery of life it's self. You know what my position on UFOlogy is, but you know I was closed minded about my views, now it is not so, not at all.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join