It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the members of AboveTopSecret.com, a gut-check

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Just trying to help out the membership. It's easy for you, you've been doing it. I wouldn't even know how to make a "screen shot". Now they know what to use, thanks to you guys.

If you look on your keyboard to the right of the F12 key there should be a key that says "Print Screen" (hopefully). Push that key.

Then if you have Paintshop or Photoshop, open that up... If you don't have that, you have MS Paint built into Windows (If you're on a PC?). So click start, then mouse over 'all programs', then mouse over 'accessories', then click on "Paint".

In this program, click 'edit' (top left of screen), then from the menu that pops up, click 'paste'. Now there's your screenshot.

You can mess around with it, crop it, or write on it or whatever...

To save it, click 'File' (top left) and click 'save as'... now in this box where it says 'save in', choose your documents or wherever you want to save it. And for the lower selection thingys, for 'file name' just give it whatever name you want. And for 'save as type' choose JPEG or GIF. (Avoid 'bmp' like the plague).

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Yeah, I don't think the red stars would be a good idea. Even with the blue stars the system is being abused now so much that to me the stars a practically worthless.

I've got an idea to make it worthwhile -- stars cost points for the person dishing them out (not too costly, but enough to be worth something). Then maybe people won't sprinkle them so liberally just to say "I agree". Perhaps then it would actually serve it's purpose.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread Bill.

I feel exactly the same way...I'm a little burned out myself.

Good to hear staff is aware of what's going on.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Just started reading this thread, and found it interesting that today I also installed a FireFox addon for Alexa website.

Here is the info regarding Abovetopsecret, Belowtopsecret and Abovepolitics.

www.alexa.com...

Obviously over the last year, AboveNetwork has increased with quite a lot of traffic!

Thx

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
I am still very disappointed in your staffs recent decision not to ban a certain member for posting a terrorist video and then his rejoicing over Americans getting killed. That absolutely disgusted me and when I spoke up and said something about it I got a warning.

The true test of anyone's ability to embrace the idea of free expression is in their ability to tolerate, even support, the expression of ideas or theories they find abhorrent. Free expression is not a concept that enables us to hear what we like, it's a concept that challenges us to confront and examine what we don't like.

It's unfortunate that you found that content distasteful. It would be more unfortunate if we removed content that was distasteful to a small segment of people.

(Disclaimer: understanding there are indeed certain topics such as extreme hate, illicit drugs, pedophilia, etc. that we choose not to cover here)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachelor
Oh I seen I got a u2u and thought oh cool someone must love me, and it was only a mass u2...

**sniff...

Originally posted by ParanormalShiver
reply to post by Bachelor

Same here
One day...one day.

Hey...that just means that we *all* love ya!

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
I've got an idea to make it worthwhile -- stars cost points for the person dishing them out (not too costly, but enough to be worth something). Then maybe people won't sprinkle them so liberally just to say "I agree". Perhaps then it would actually serve it's purpose.

holy crap, that is an AMAZING idea.

and...

everyone please disregard the following statement, but my head would explode if I didn't make it:

ATS stands up for the right to post terrorist videos and rejoice americans dying, but threads on marijuana still get moved to rats or deleted? could cut the irony with a spork

ok, continue. i can breathe again

[edit on 29-2-2008 by scientist]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I would star your post if i could because i agree.

ironic.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
ironic.

It is what it is, and we've explain why several times.

However, intelligent threads addressing the topic are being supported in the "Really Above Top Secret" forum.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Great to see ATS movin' on up! I'm sure the increased traffic will be tough, but anything worth doing won't come easy...

18 Hours of nonstop coding:
Cost~ Stress, and lots of coffee.

Server and equipment upgrades:
Cost~ Stress, 50k USD

Keeping it all running:
Cost~ all of the above, and depleting the overstocks of gladwrap tinfoil.

Knowing that we are all a part of the best place to Deny Ignorance:
Priceless!

Oh, by the way... you will have a deal as long as I can get that last roll you have stashed out in top drawer of your desk.
j/k

Seriously, I think it's sweet... I'm relatively new and I have barely scratched the surface.

Keep up the good work guys, it is much appreciated.

Regards,
T-

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I am glad the site owner....or 'SO' started this thread.

Although I'm fairly new here, I have come to understand the purpose of ATS, even when threads degrade into personal attacks, or get so far off-topic one has to go back to page 1 to remember the OP...BTW, I always thought 'OP' meant 'original point'...or is it 'Original Poster'??

In the heat of a conversation, I have been guilty of drawing a discussion into a new direction...it is hard to resist, sometimes.

Back to the PURPOSE...of ATS. It is to promote a scholarly discussion of topics that are outside the MainStream, in that, they touch upon subjects that will not be discussed rationaly by ABC or CBS or NBC or CNN...or, even that 'other' acronym....OK...it's called FOX 'News'....

Guess I have just displayed my 'deniance of ignorance' in the last paragraph. I do not shy from my stance.

I have made mistakes, and have been gently (sometimes not so gently!) admonished. Good lessons, that I take to heart, and learn that they matter, those lessons.

I will leave this, with a thought, about trying to convey one's feelings in print. CAN'T be done! UNLESS you are an exceptional writer!

Having said (written) that, we do our best, to express ourselves in the print, blog, whatever it's called, medium....and just try to get along, hopefully.

My thanks go out to the various Mods who have deemed some of my posts worthy of 'Applause!' I thank all of you! My thanks also go out to the various Mods who deemed I deserved a 'warning'...it is a lesson, either way. And, I thank you too!

...I looked over what I just wrote, and it sounded as if I am trying to 'suck up'. I want to assure everyone, I am not!

I guess I was just inspired by the spirit of the OP, the message....

AND, please don't give me any 'Applause' for this post...oh! That was a really terrible description of what I am trying to say.

I hope some of it makes sense.

Aloh'a

[added, edited]

[edit on 1-3-2008 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Hi SO,

I'm not experiencing topical burnout. I knew from the beginning the ATS would Explode!
My problem is I get lost.
I really appreciate all the hard work you guys do.
All the Mods are GREAT!
I can understand why other countries might be *a little* ticked off, with the U.S. How did Springer find out you're not human? I didn't tell him.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

if members want to go to other sites, let them. they do not know what time and effort, and of course money, that has been have put into this site, along with the dedication of the super-moderators and the other moderators. i find this particular forum provacative, as to the different subject matter presented. there are some here, that are far more knowledgeable then myself, in the fields of engineering and science, and i tend to take their posts much more seriously, but i do have to say that a number of OP's, have vaild and often times, interesting observations. keep up the great work...and a big !!!!!!HUZZAH!!!!! to all, that bring knowledge and reasoned discussion to a forum such as this.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I know Im a freshman,here so whatever you guys have to do go and do it.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Free expression is not a concept that enables us to hear what we like, it's a concept that challenges us to confront and examine what we don't like.

Pretty cool, thought provoking statement! Makes me think twice about putting people on ignore. Because really, it's true. The challenge of confronting what you don't like is much tougher than staying focused on what you like. One of the great things about life is the sheer variety of likes and dislikes there are to choose from. The freedom to choose what portion of one's focus should be on what they like, and what they don't, is also helpful. We all draw those lines in the sand differently.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I visit myATS several times daily though I rarely post at all. I am happy to hear that ATS is growing and I want to congratulate all of the staff on all of their work, its much appreciated. Sometimes I think the moderators give too much slack to all the rude and antagonistic posts here, but that "ignore" button keeps me very happy.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

The true test of anyone's ability to embrace the idea of free expression is in their ability to tolerate, even support, the expression of ideas or theories they find abhorrent. Free expression is not a concept that enables us to hear what we like, it's a concept that challenges us to confront and examine what we don't like.

I have for years been on teams that respond to and attempt control of large gatherings and riots. Just part of the job.

Of course I do my job and always have, but until I came here I never fully appreciated what it is I am doing while at these events/situations. A large majority of the time, I either disagree with the foundation of the group message, or in many cases, I abhor their premise; yet, ATS has given me the ability to revel in protecting their right to express themselves.

Watching the Administration and the Moderators on this site defend members that have ideas that, at times, repel and disgust them, has truly given me a new outlook and appreciation for the "unfettered" defense of our liberties.

If we do not help to protect "all" ideas, do we really have any right to express our own?

Thank you SO for this thread and thank you ATS for all that you give each of us.

Semper

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

thank you for the chance to meet new friends on ats----you mentioned burnout of old members and stress with growth and new members finding their legs----sure i can understand these things---but where do you draw the line between these and verbal abuse to the extreme?

since i'm not sure where this line might be could you please take a look at my profile and tell us if this is what we should make a deal about accepting. tnks

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
"Free expression is not a concept that enables us to hear what we like, it's a concept that challenges us to confront and examine what we don't like."

This is the answer to your question. You often refuse to reflect on any point of view but your own. As evidenced by your profile page. If you have all of the answers, why do you come to ATS? Maybe you should reflect on why you actually "foe" people with whom you have had no discourse.

Mod Note: Stay on Topic– Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
if as 1 member states (i think 1 listed as my foe in the past) for some reason? use of the foe system is wrong ?----why is it there ? since being admonished for making excessive long quotes i no longer use that system-----i'm easy ---i'm willing to not use the foe system either if staff tells me not to.

don't mind following the rules as long as i know what they are and i just love the rule on civility and decorum---or maybe thats part of the new changes?not sure--guess we have to wait see?

i would prefer a larger ignore supply---so no ones feelings get hurt for getting the "buddy just called you his respected foe "message .with more than 10 ignores made available i just wont be able to see what is said by everyone so i couldn't respond anyway even if what i would say wasn't rude----just the facts as i know them to be.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join