It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time's Up For Petrol Cars: GM CEO Acknowledges Peak Oil Production

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Time's up for petrol cars, says GM chief

The struggle to convince a skeptical industry... and world... that electric drive vehicles are not only technologically viable, but the planet's only hope in the face to rising oil demand, static petroleum production and concerns over the environmental impact of rising CO2 levels... officially ended on January 13, 2008.

It happened in Cobo Hall in downtown Detroit when the Co-Chairman and CEO of General Motors announced to a stunned media that the world cannot produce enough oil to meet rising demand -- a phenomenon known as "peak oil". [See relevant excerpts from Rick Wagoner's speech below].

The impact of Wagoner's remarks at the opening of the 2008 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) carried around the planet. Down in Australia, the Sydney Morning Herald carried the following headline on January 15, 2008: "Time's up for petrol cars, says GM chief."

The article opens with, "The world's biggest car maker, General Motors, believes global oil supply has peaked and a switch to electric cars is inevitable."

Finally, the major auto companies acknowledge the problem of peak oil production....

Too little too late?

[edit on 28-2-2008 by MrdDstrbr]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Peak oil, although enevitable is not here now. It is being used to drive up prices and the car companies are now using it to justify the developement and production of thier new "eco" cars....IMO....

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Peak oil, although enevitable is not here now. It is being used to drive up prices and the car companies are now using it to justify the developement and production of thier new "eco" cars....IMO....

HUH? You make 'eco cars' sound somehow repugnant!!

You're not another 'Flat-Earther' are you? Still believe there's no such thing as GW I'm assuming by your strange remarks.... Hell - even GM are now having to come clean (pardon the pun). Simple facts are - GM realise that you just look stupid and arrogant if you ignore the scientific consensus any longer.

Yep - the earth really IS round...and sometimes common sense does prevail...

J

J.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by jimbo999]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Jim,
You have me all wrong. I am not against eco anything and GW is an entirely different subject.
What I am against it the big corps. scaremongering to sell a product or to justify prices etc.
Yes, we need to after our planet better and yes we will run out of recources eventually with the way we are consuming them but why make things appear worse than thy need to?

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

I agree that peak oil production can be artificially engineered, in order to drive up prices - for example by not bothering to make use of the vast oil reserves in Alaska (see the work of Lindsey Williams).

But demand is starting to outpace production and supply nevertheless

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Here's an excellent website for discussion of alternate energy sources. I would love to see the push for hydrogen-powered cars be ramped up.

www.clubofpioneers.com

sty

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The oil peak is engineered to happen earlier , but this is good as people now have more time to prepare! I hope that "off-the-grid" solutions will win..

new topics

top topics

join