It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why G_D? Why not GOD? ( i dont get it )

page: 1

join
share:
JSR

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I figured since I was asking about GOD, or G_D, it would be in this forum.

What is the deal with the use of the word God displayed as G_D? really, I don't get it. Can someone please explain this to me.

I suppose im a bit slow. But, I really don't understand this one. Does typing the word God offend people or something?

Help please......

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Mainly jewish peaple will use G-D instead of GOD.

Jewish treat the name of there god as holy and if it's written on a piece of paper, you can't just throw it away, the paper becomes sacred and you have to burn or bury it to dispose of it. so to avoid that we write g-d in casual references to god.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Not sure how accurate this is but...

www.jesus-is-savior.com...

JSR

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

ahhh.....I guess that makes sense. I understand now. thank you.

it just baffled me. I kept seeing it here everywhere, and had no idea what it means.

JSR

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

very informative.

thank you.

i guess i can consider this one, case closed. ya learn something new everyday i supose.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
I suppose im a bit slow. But, I really don't understand this one. Does typing the word God offend people or something?

Help please......

They get too caught up in dead letters and miss the point. Swallow camels while straining at gnats, etc.

It's comparable to reverencing a stack of paper rather than the data contained in it.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What's really odd is that yes the commandment says to not use the name of the Lord God in vain, but the text "God" is not "The Name". It's simply a pronoun for "The Name". In their extreme paranoia of breaking a law, they turn to (IMHO) silly antitcs to avoid breaking it. Jews have lots of rules that they pretty much made up for themselves. For instance their insistance on keeping beef and dairy items seperate comes from a scripture that says "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk" (Exodus 23:19) So they insist on waiting 6 hours between eating meat and dairy products in their extreme paranoia of doing something wrong.

Straining gnats and swallowing camels? Yes, exactly! These silly traditions are exactly what Jesus was talking about when he was letting loose on the Pharisees in Matthew 23.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
What's really odd is that yes the commandment says to not use the name of the Lord God in vain, but the text "God" is not "The Name".

What really places the cherry on top is the fact that everything that is not done in faith is vain.

top topics

join