It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This happened to anyone before?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Okay ... so since about 4th grade I've been a major computer geek. I'm a Freshman in college now, and until about December of last year, I've wanted a degree in Computer Science and work as a systems administrator or network engineer somewhere. I used to hate everything except computers, and I'd never touch anything like law or politics ...

... until December of 2003.

It was in the beginning of the month when (addressed to my name) I received an Amazon coupon/gift certificate from somewhere (it only had a P.O. box from San Antonio, Texas) saying that I'm one of a lucky few who won free copy of the DVD to the first season of The West Wing.

Score! I thought. Free entertainment. So I sent it in and got my free West Wing DVD (albeit a bit late; almost lost faith in the whole "free DVD" thing
).

So I watched it, and got hooked of course. Excellent storyline, I might add -- one of the best TV series ever made.

This made me want to take a POSC class in college, just to learn a bit more about the gov't and stuff. So when I went to the counsellor to sign up for my spring semseter, I mentioned I wanted to take a Posc class, and she hemmed and hawed and said something along the lines of "oh, that's good" and recommended me for a specific instructor (who also just happens to be running for Congress).

Wow! His class was A-MAZ-ING... that's all I can say. Really got me interested... so I read and read more into it, and I finally made the decision to change my major from Comp Sci to Pol Sci. Now of course, this shocked everyone, including me. I made it clear to the counsellor that I didn't want to become a politician, I just thought it was one of the most amazing subjects I've ever encountered.

Now that may not seem like a big thing to the outsider, but to me and those who know me closely, it was a big "wow" because they'd never guess me for anything but computers.

Anyway, that's not the weird part.

... the weird part comes now:

Just this past weekend, I've received a brochure from the U.S. Airforce with an advertisment in BIG WHITE LETTERS at the top saying:

"INTERESTED AN INTELLIGENCE CAREER?"

... and just below that line it says:

"If you're majoring in policitcal science or a related field, talk to an ROTC advisor today!"

OMG?!

Is this some sort of ploy of the AF to direct me to an intel career or wtf?

Because as I read that, I thought to myself "yeah, it'd be fun to do ... AF huh? Military's cool ... wait a minute"

lol what do you think this is... and has this ever happened to you?

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
geesh, im not to sure what to think of that. (and no it hasn't happened to me) definately odd, that AFTER you change your major you get that thing in the mail. I understand wanting to change majors, West Wing is an awesome show, at least it was last year, I havn't seen much of it this year, I havn't had time.
Maybe its just a recruiting ploy, hey ya never know, the AF, might be good to join, but nowadays, i wouldn't go near the millitary with a 10 foot pole, i'd be too afraid of ending up overseas. Not that im against the military, don't get me wrong, I just wouldn't want to leave my husband, and I eventually want to start a family, and couldn't do that thousands of miles away! I support our troops overseas, and here at home 100% they are brave for being in the army in the first place, Its just not for me.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I can't say that it has happened to me, but It sounds like you have a good career path laid out in front of you should you choose it! you never know the "free DVD" may have had subliminal message in it to change your course!!!
thats why you may have been one of the chosen few!!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by smilingsarah82
geesh, im not to sure what to think of that. (and no it hasn't happened to me) definately odd, that AFTER you change your major you get that thing in the mail. I understand wanting to change majors, West Wing is an awesome show, at least it was last year, I havn't seen much of it this year, I havn't had time.
Maybe its just a recruiting ploy, hey ya never know, the AF, might be good to join, but nowadays, i wouldn't go near the millitary with a 10 foot pole, i'd be too afraid of ending up overseas. Not that im against the military, don't get me wrong, I just wouldn't want to leave my husband, and I eventually want to start a family, and couldn't do that thousands of miles away! I support our troops overseas, and here at home 100% they are brave for being in the army in the first place, Its just not for me.

Heh yeah I don't really want to get sent overseas either, but I really have no one here except my immediate family anyway. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins live in Europe... so I don't think I'd mind it too much since I really, technically, have "nothing to lose".

And the changing majors surprised me, because it's not in my personality ... lol I vowed never to touch politics ever! That was years ago

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Wow... really an odd coincidence.

I'd go for it, if you're really interested, there's no hesitation to have, plus you'll probably end up making BIG BUCKS.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Well if you are as good with computers as you say, maybe they have had their eyes on you for awhile.

Anyways, congrats!

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
lol, well, i can tell u this. west wing kicks ass.
i think its great that they can reach people like that. ive always bin good at math, and ive gotten a number of letters from the NSA sayin i shud work for em, how they're the greatest employers of mathematicians in the US. go figure.
thast as close as i come, but hey, its nice to have people wanting u.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
lol, well, i can tell u this. west wing kicks ass.
i think its great that they can reach people like that. ive always bin good at math, and ive gotten a number of letters from the NSA sayin i shud work for em, how they're the greatest employers of mathematicians in the US. go figure.
thast as close as i come, but hey, its nice to have people wanting u.

Scares the bejeesus out of me...

... the funny part is, why would they choose me, if they chose me at all?

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The Feds have been observing you. They have identified you as a potential prospect in the intelligence field. And I have never heard of anybody recieving similiar mail.
Return to sender, and ask what field is recommended!
I would take the mail as a compliment, and could be a lucrative decision for you. Perhaps your instructor placed your name with someone?
The military is a great way to start- was for me. And I have travelled the world, and would not be afraid of travel overseas. I had some good times all over this world.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawk
Scares the bejeesus out of me...

... the funny part is, why would they choose me, if they chose me at all?

they no things. not insane things, but when u go into fields of interest (math, pol sci, etc) things register, especailyl if u do well.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
everybody makes alot of good points, definatelly something to look into i think, not to mention, they will probably help ya pay for school, i know the army does.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It's simple actually. The CIA, and Armed forces, buy lists with names of people and their majors and or interests, from colleges and universities, they match those interests with their needs and send you an invitation.
The CIA recruits a lot out of Univiversities and Colleges. I saw a full page ad for the CIA once in the Houston Chronicle about 10 years ago.

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
everybody has their own path in life, but all paths lead to the same thing...
This is amazing stuff, god works in mysterious ways, and if you really feel passionate about this, keep going.
This is your path... Looks like someone above had to give u a little kick in the pants.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yeah, it is not too coindicental. Now the West Wing part...maybe something odd there. But the Air Force and the Navy hounded me for a couple of years after HS because of my ASVAB scores. That included specific suggestions like, "Have you ever thought about a career in electronics and radar?" or "Your scores indicate that you would be a good fit to work in intelligence." Then when I was completing college I'd get calls and stuff in the mail saying how bad the military needed people in the sciences. They find stuff out from your school, then they do percentage advertising looking for hits. They're not specifically targetting you (probably).

Lot of people get that stuff. Well, at least quite a few.

Unless you are a sleeper genious and some MIB has pegged you...

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
none of this is coincidence.. i can tell you that...just make sure its what you want to do and for the right reasons...helping people versus not helping people.
for instance...i have a terrible feeling though what they would have you be doing wouldnt involve helping people in any way......
the secret government is in charge of the visible government and not exactly people friendly

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
none of this is coincidence.. i can tell you that...just make sure its what you want to do and for the right reasons...helping people versus not helping people.
for instance...i have a terrible feeling though what they would have you be doing wouldnt involve helping people in any way......
the secret government is in charge of the visible government and not exactly people friendly

hmmmmm............................ food for thought

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Studying political science believe it or not doesn't help you that much in a career in politics. I would say that business helps more. Mind you a background in Polysci helps in becoming a bureaucrat or some such. I could see a demand for it in CIA too in some areas.

Yeah a lot of people must of thought you were crazy because computer science is a fairly solid career choice even today with the depression in high tech right now.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
How difficult is it to get out of an AF intel job if you change your mind - would be one of my concerns. Also what skills are you left with if you take that path - anything you can use in the civilian world?

In my opinion anyone involved in politics should have an extensive liberal arts education - a solid background in world history, classical literature, and philosophy. It ain't the place for businessmen and lawyers.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
hmmmmmm.......free DVD??

makes everybody start to question those free AOL trial discs they send in the mail.......

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies

In a basic airforce enlistment, you'd only be in for four years. I highly doubt you'd make it into the secret govt level intelligence community unless you stayed in the AF for an entire career. Even then there's a good chance you'd never get in that deep and you'd stay in more mundane areas.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join