It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston Rockets on fire!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
18 game winning streak

9 straight games double digit point victories

Any questions?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
19 game winning streak

10 straight games double digit victories

Any questions?

"Yao is gone, they're done"
"Pretenders"

Blah blah blah

I bet once they do finally lose, that's going to somehow take away from all the wins. They all of a sudden don't count when that one lose comes.

It seems some people want them to fail just so they can be "right".

Hilarious.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm predicting an early exit come playoff time when the games get extra physical!! They just don't have the physical element needed to advance very far in the deep waters of the western conference!!! Add that to coach Adelman who's underachieved for years in the playoffs and it spells impending DOOM for the Rockets. So enjoy this winning streak Rockets fans because they don't give out rings for long winning streaks!! and please keep Tracy McGrady informed as to how many games it takes to win a series!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by swish22

Not sure I agree with the lack of physicality part swish. You could argue that they're more physical without Yao. Mutombo has always been physical. Scola is physical. Battier is physical. The backcourt, McGrady and Alston, not so physical though. Bring in Hayes and Landry off the bench and they don't miss a beat in the frontcourt. Bobby Jackson is physical at the point.

One of the reasons they're so good defensively is because of their physicality.

Peace

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It's funny how everyone has an excuse. :shk:

I bet these people who criticize the Rockets haven't watched more than three games this season. Yet, because the Rockets are "on top", in the sense that they are the hottest team, then suddenly everyone is an expert, everyone has an opinion, and everyone can immediately spot "flaws", all in an attempt to knock them off.

I also find it funny that because the rest of the league has only heard of Yao and McGrady, that means Houston only has two superstars, which in turn means they suck. Simply because these people haven't heard of Carl Landry or Luis Scola, that means they aren't good players. It just goes back to watching the games. If you haven't watched the games, then don't hold an opinion, because chances are, you're wrong and any fan of that team will show you you're wrong.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
First off they've won 7 in a row without Yao, but I don't think anyone could argue that any of those teams (wash, memphis, n.o., denver, indiana, dallas-Dirk and N.J.) are physical teams!! New Orleans is the only playoff team they've played besides the game with Dallas without Dirk! It will be curious to see how they do in these more physical games down the stretch!! I just feel after watching the physical Spurs the last couple of years, the new look Lakers who really impressed me with their physical play and the new more physical Suns that they will be struggling in the paint!!! I like the infusion of talent they've added and I love Battier's presence on both ends of the floor but McGrady has never proven to be a playoff superstar because of his reluctance in taking it to the hole and finishing!! It's possible he's more hungry after his failures in the past few years so I wouldn't be shocked to see them beat one of these teams but I'll be surprised if they get by everybody out there!! Jackson and Popovich also own the advantage in the coaching department. They stress defensive adjustments and intensity where as Adelman stresses his offensive philosophy!! One thing is for sure. Every Western Conference series will a great one to watch. Peace!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by swish22
First off they've won 7 in a row without Yao, but I don't think anyone could argue that any of those teams (wash, memphis, n.o., denver, indiana, dallas-Dirk and N.J.) are physical teams!!

So all it takes is to be a physical team and you're all set?

If they had lost those games you'd be saying they suck for losing to non-physical teams. So clearly it's lose lose for them.

besides the game with Dallas without Dirk!

Blah

Blah

Blah

"Dallas didn't have Dirk! If they had had him, it'd be different!

Yeah, well Houston didn't have Yao. If they had had him, it'd be different.

We're even.

I just feel after watching the physical Spurs the last couple of years, the new look Lakers who really impressed me

The Spurs and Lakers winning streaks this year have consisted of the same garbage teams that Houston gets beat up for beating.

So which is it? I mean, the excuse is the Rockets are only beating bad teams, but the Lakers and Spurs are great, even though they essentially have the same schedule. Which is it? Are the Rockets only beating bad teams, or are they great like the Lakers and Spurs? You can't go both ways.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

No, physical play isn't the only reason but as anybody who's watched the NBA for as many years as I have would know. When the playoffs start the INTENSITY changes and the referees let the games get VERY PHYSICAL. This SIMPLE fact is not in the best interest of the Rockets!! Who would you want in a 7 game series making adjustments if you owned the team? A Phil Jackson, B: Greg Popovich or C: Rick Adelman
Can't imagine choosing C over these guys with multiple rings!!! and a defensive mindset!! I'm a Detroit fan and have watched pretty much every game they've played this year!! The teams that impressed me the most with physicality were the LAkers(pre-Gasol) and the Celtics!! The SPurs have never been afraid to knock some guys down come playoff time which is allowed and what's required to win the ring in this league!!
Why do you think the Suns would go after O' Neal??? His days are numbered but brings a very physical element that's much needed in the playoffs!! They remember NAsh getting knocked sideways last year by Horry!!
My hats are off to the Rockets for this winning streak but it's really meaningless come playoff time!!!!! I've always been a big Yao fan and even though he hasn't improved as quickly as I originally thought he would, I feel his loss will hit the Rockets hard once the playoffs begin!! I will probably be playing the money line against the ROckets in round 1 depending on the matchup!!! I wish the NBA would change their mindset on officiating these playoff games. I love watching the offensive talent shine through but unfortunately that's NOT THE CASE!!!! The game continually gets more physically every year in my humble opinion!!!

Peace!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Who would you want in a 7 game series making adjustments if you owned the team? A Phil Jackson, B: Greg Popovich or C: Rick Adelman

Out of Popovich and Adelman, I'm not sure. But I definitely would take both over Phil Jackson.

Yeah, he has rings, but what did he do? Look at some of his teams. Look at what the GM of his teams put on the floor for him. He's had three of the greatest players EVER! They aren't great because of him.

I'm a Detroit fan and have watched pretty much every game they've played this year!!

The Rockets? Or someone else?

I will probably be playing the money line against the ROckets in round 1 depending on the matchup!!!

Well, here's to you losing money.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
FOr those that are saying the rockets lost thier toughness when they lost Yao, may have never actualy seen Yao play.

The Rockets are TOUGH, realy tough now.

Scola was the best player on earth not in the NBA for the past 4 years.

Landry, Hayes, and Mutumbo stepped into Yao's voide and are PUNISHING teams down low.

What ever they lost in Yao's offense, the have offset it on the other end of the court... thier D is great now...

I can't wait til the Rockets and Lakers play this weekend...

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
O.K. majority rules!!! But I will remind you Dr Love and D.O.M. if you're wrong. I've been in the minority/contrarian before!!! LEt The Games Begin!!
I've got to get back to my beer and back to watching the continueing adventures of Flip Saunders and the ever changing bench rotation he's experimenting with!!
I'm still wondering why he's playing Juan Dixon!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
20 in a row. To put that in to perspective for everyone, they've now won, in a row, roughly a quarter of their games during a full season.

They've won more on this winning streak than 5 teams in the NBA have won all season. Of course, those teams suck, but anytime you are this far in to the season and you can say your winning streak is more games than 5 professional basketball teams' total amount of wins, that's saying something.

There should be no doubt now. This isn't a fluke. This isn't luck. This is just Rick Adelman's offense kicking in at the right time.

Sure, they'll lose at some point, and everyone will seize that opportunity and say they're done because somehow 1 loss trumps 20+ straight wins, but that's alright. They're clicking right now, and they'll be clicking after they lose a game.

For all of you who thought they wouldn't make the playoffs without Yao, well, don't look now, but they're tied with the "World Champions" for first in the division, second in the conference, and they're 1 game back of the Lakers for first in the conference.

They're going to the playoffs.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Kudos to the Rockets, who are playing extremely well right now. But if the Lakers get Andrew Bynum back....it's over!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
When the Lakers and Rockets play on Sunday, it could be fore the #1 seed in the West.

Thats insane...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
When the Lakers and Rockets play on Sunday, it could be fore the #1 seed in the West.

Thats insane...

When the Lakers and Rockets play on Sunday, it WILL be for the #1 seed in the West.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm concerned about tomorrow's game. They've played pretty bad these last two games.

On paper, the streak is still going. Mentally, and talent wise, I think the streak ended in Atlanta. If it weren't for the fact that it was Atlanta and Charlotte, I think they would have lost those games.

Hopefully they come out with more intensity against LA. Otherwise, they're going to lose.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Rockets won those two games with grit and guile. Thank God they were shooting bad against those two teams and not one of the better teams. I don't care who they're playing, at this point in the streak every team is dangerous because every team has it out for them.

The Rockets can win games on defense alone, they proved it the last two games. Are they tightening up, you betcha, but what team wouldn't with a winning streak like this? It's inevitable.

Edit: Lakers went into New Orleans and got their arse handed to them. Rockets went into New Orleans and wiped them out.

Peace

[edit on 15-3-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
And we have a new # one in the west... The Houston Rockets...

The lakers lost today to the Rockets, being down Pau Gasol hurt.. but a loss is a loss... the Lakers have been in a funk for the past 5 games or so...

The Rockets have won 22 straight, to go from 9th place, to first in the West...

This is going to be a good playoff year...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Well, see, the way I see it is this: Dallas didn't have Dirk. They lost. New Orleans didn't have David West. They lost. Los Angeles didn't have Gasol. They lost.

But Houston hasn't had Yao, and they've kept winning.

So, the critics of the Rockets who say they're only beating these teams because of lucky things here and there with injuries, it's false. Those teams had injuries and lost, and Houston had injuries and won.

So maybe Houston just played better.

Good game today though.

Their next four games are Boston, New Orleans, Golden State and Phoenix. I think they'll beat Boston, but I think the streak will end with one of the three after that.

A loss is a loss though, and they'll have to put it behind them when it happens. It's how they respond after that that will determine how they're going to do the rest of the year.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Well, it's finally over. It's no big deal though. It is still the regular season. It wasn't like that was a game 7 of the playoffs.

There will be those people that fault them though. It's lose lose. Despite winning 22 straight, something only one other team has done in NBA history, despite being at the top of the very competitive, very good Western Conference, and despite being drastically undersized to the team with the best record in the NBA, they'll still get beat up by the critics for losing.

See, if you beat the bad teams, it's only because they're bad that you won. If you beat the good teams, there's some excuse "Gasol was out; Dirk was out; David West was out". If you lose to the bad teams, you flat out suck. If you lose to the good teams, you're a fluke and can't match up with the good teams.

You really can't win. There's always a critic with an excuse.

If 22 was easy, tell me why Michael Jordon's Bulls never did it. Tell me why the almighty Spurs haven't done it. Tell me why the Shaq-Kobe Lakers never did it.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. It was going to end at some point anyway.

You can't diminish 22 games in a row. That is more than a quarter of a TOTAL SEASON'S games. All won, and all in a row. And a good number of them without Yao.

So, yeah, it's about how they respond now. They need to put it behind them, recognize what they did was great, recognize that it was not a fluke, and start a new winning streak.

No matter how you break it down, 22 games in a row is not a fluke. If you believe that, you're an idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join