It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Lunar Eclipse today! (Feb.20)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Just cheked outside and cant even see the darn thing cause of the clouds.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Isn't it beautiful? The moon is simply stunning. Somehow an eclipse makes the moon look so much more "real". Instead of this familiar light bulb in the sky that we are so accustomed to seeing....there is this magnificent heavenly body with the faintest of glows. The moon, in eclipse, looks like a planet you can reach out and touch with the tips of your fingers.

I took the kids out all wrapped in blankets to see this lunar wonder. It became one of those moments that you know you are going to look back on 10 years from now and remember those faces...staring in awe...at the new face of the moon. They will remember the stillness. They will remember a sight not seen before. They will remember standing under the stars and feeling so small upon this earth yet, so infinitely connected to the sky. I can only imagine how special this was before the world had the distractions of television, radios and other devices...when the moon, sun, and planets were the stars. What a wonderful evening. I hope all of you get a chance to see this beautiful sight.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

It cleared up in my area, but if you can't see it search for a site that has a live feed, by searching "view lunar eclipse live". There are plenty of sites, but many are overloaded.

I am also watching on Slooh.com but it may be members only.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It is now past totality here. It was absolutely stunning!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Good observation, Earth2, regarding Saturn...

Consider the moon as the center of a clock. The bright star at the 8 o'clock position is the planet Saturn. The star at the 11 o'clock position is the star Regulus, which is about 77 light years from earth. It has some weird properties, you can read about here.

www.space.com...

The moon is at the front paws of the constellation Leo. If it is very dark outside, you can see an "S" shape formed by Saturn, the moon, Regulus, and the "mane" of Leo.

Looks great from North Florida!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's just lovely here right now in Upper Michigan. The skies are crystal clear and moon is a dusty, rusty red. Myself and all of my fellow waitresses at work have been watching it all night.
It's not every night we get to witness something so beautiful, so mystical as this eclipse. I so wish i could take pictures, but alas, no camera. Oh well, i'll never forget it.

Lady

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I am here in Seattle, WA and I have the best view! I tried to take photos but you can barely make out the moon because my camera sucks...sorry guys. I wish I could share this with everyone. It's positively breathtaking...

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Okay. I'm past totality here in Florida. A sliver of light is now showing clearly in the lower right of the moon.

I'm trying to think about celestial geometry here. Not sure if I will be seeing this end before Seattle, or Toronto, for example. So I thought I would record this for others, who might be seeing something different.

So ends my personal "Lunar Eclipse 2008" experience.

Have a nice evening everyone! Goodnight!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I saw it today, I'm a little disappointed, I didn't get to see that white ring of brilliant light, but I did however manage to take one perfect picture within those two hours....I must of taken at least 100 photos, yet one of them was only good. Damn point and shoot camera, and for those with crappy camera like mine, don't give up hope, I'm sure eclipse is still on...so here's my setting if anyone is still attempting to take a shot.

Lowest ISO + Night Scene + 1" Shutter Speed + Slow Flash + some weird hard angle object to set you camera on like a cheap tripod.

Here's my picture...
img504.imageshack.us...

[edit on 20-2-2008 by skyblueff0]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Does anyone know the time when it ends? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
well, that was fun.... at least we survived!!! lol

So.... what's next?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I setup my telescope and camera, but it wasn't cooperating. I couldn't get a decent exposure. I did take some screen captures of the live feed from Slooh, which was actually from Argentina. I think this is the best one.

I wish I could take pictures like that.

I'll post this in the other thread also.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Here's my Lunar Eclipse photo's from Nye County, Nevada.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Moons about a quarter still covered her in London Ont. Been watching the color disappear, got a great view out the front window. Nice clear skies, what a view to behold

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I forgot to say my camera is a Kodak 6490DX

I had it set on landscape and the highest zoom gave me an extra 30 times magnification. Sorry no tripod.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Hal its so beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing that photo with us!!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
sadly its cloudy tonight here in memphis tn

And I just got a new telescope last week

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
4 Yea had fun watching it here from NJ

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I just got done watching the eclipse about a half an hour ago, and it was pretty amazing. Unfortunantly I didn't get any pictures but it was still cool to watch. I didn't see Saturn either, did anbody else?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

wow... man, I should have stayed up
It really looks fantastic!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join