It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One more year of this awful mess.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
We only have one more year of Bush. How will we get out of Iraq and the current situations that Bush has gotten us into? Will we be able to recover from the Bush administration?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Mav,

I'm not seeing a conspiracy angle here. Did you mean for this to go into Above Politics or did I miss something?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
We only have one more year of Bush.

True, but the Bush initiatives, the situation in the middle east and the 'Bush Doctrine" of preemptive war, will linger on.

How will we get out of Iraq and the current situations that Bush has gotten us into?

With great difficulty. One suggestion, Ron Paul for president.

Will we be able to recover from the Bush administration?

Yes you will. Germany recovered from the Hitler administration, or I should say, is still recovering.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
it would be elated to see ron paul take office, but the average joe american has no idea who he is. if the current trend keeps up he won't even be a blip on the radar come election time.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
neformore, my point is that we only have one year of this raging lunatic. One more year is left before Bush is out of office. After that we won't have to worry about bills like the Patriot Act being passed into Congress or that we are going to become a police state. I'm worried that with a Democratic controlled Congress that the Republicans will still be able to get their way and bully the Democrats around so they don't get their policies in place. Maybe even though that Bush isn't in power the Republicans will still feel like they need total control and would take revenge on the Democrats for knocking them out of power or they would feel bitterness and resentment or something. Do you see the angle I am getting at now?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Its not over. This election doesn't look good. On the one hand, you've got Obama and Hilary. Obama only cares about the minority's and Hilary only cares about the women. Not good for us middle class white men. On the other, you've got Macain, and he's already said he wants to keep the war going. Just bad all around...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

OK. Ron Paul is out. It was silly of me to even think that America would want to get back to it's hard working mind my own business roots. Here is another suggestion for how does America get out of it's current difficulties: a trade union for the armed forces.

I think the Dutch have a trade union for the armed forces. You don't see them barging into Luxembourg.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverickhunter

yeah... like McCain is going to be any better...

lol! sorry, I don't mean to dampen your spirits... but seeing who are going to be the candidates this time around, it just seems to be more of the same. Especially since Bush Senior just endorsed McCain

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The facts are not transmutable. Abraham Lincoln said "No man has a good enogh memory to make a good liar".
That being said, do all of you remarking that when Clinton lied nobody died, that you sound like an idiotic sound bite.
The fact is that because Clinton lied, as did Nixon, Carter, REAGAN, (caps for emphasis,, so you know I'm not a complete right wing nut, or have the dreaded "neocon" tag attatched to me) we are in the Middle East now with our military.
On other sites, as well as on this, it is inescapable that people that do not comprehend the way we elect Presidents, the popular vote then given over to the electoral college, who then cast their ballots.
In a nutshell, a president can be elected having not received a majority of the popular vote.
Bush WAS elected, NOT selected.
The Supreme Court decision was about allowing what were normallly non-votes to be counted (ref. hannging chads). When I say non-votes I mean votes that were incomprehensible, again, chads.
I digress
Clinton lied to protect his butt from the Hillary. I'm not so sure that K Starr going after a sitting President was a good idea.
I don't think it ws good for the nation.
I don't think W. had any malice in his heart when we went into a war.
He quoted intel from Germany, Russia, Italy, Israel, Britain, France LOL, Kuwait, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and others. All saying Iraq was on the warpath.
How nice it must be for you to look back and say that information was wrong.
We still don' know if it was wrong, there may still be those weapons in Iraq, as we are yet to find them. Can you say Syria, Iran.
Can you say the weapons weren't buried?
The dead in the last few years are from SEVERAL of our fearless leaders lying to us.
Some more than others.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Bush has done several things wrong but the next POTUS will do several things wrong. This US government is so obese that it can't be managed. This world has it's hand out and the US tries to fill it and that can't be done.

If the US left Iraq, there will be mass killings and the blood will be on your hands. Those of you with the " get out" mind set will be murders.

We broke it, we got to fix it and the Iraqi's must help.

Roper

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Thumbs up!!!

Ccear, concise, and to the point.
No matter what anyone thinks of the present situation, leaving now would result in the worst holocaust since Hitler.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
We broke it, we got to fix it and the Iraqi's must help.

Fix??

Eventually the US will leave Iraq and the accompaning influx of Iraqi refugees into the US will cause problems we can't even imagine.

Nice going "W" Nice exit stratagy!!

Sorry Mavrickhunter, I don't see an end to this mess, ever.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!!

[edit on 18-2-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Question

Question,
You're right on, again as usual.
In about three years, people will be saying:
"Only one more year of _______(fill in any name-it doesn't matter) .

I couldn't vote when Eisenhower was president, never got the chance to say it about Kennedy, because he was assassinated before his last year, I definitely said it about LBJ(talk about keeping us in a war), Nixon(I am not a crook), Carter(18% inflation and a disastrous foreign policy), Reagan(because he was getting to the point where the poor guy didn't even know what was going on), Bush Sr.( who did a good job of killing the economy),Clinton(and Monica), and now Dubya(and his war and disastrous economy).
Wow, 300,000,000 people in this country, and we still can't get a decent candidate nominated, never mind elected.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It's very easy to decieve and manipulate the population. Politicians count on that ability. Talk nice-sounding rebop and people rarely, if ever, look beneath the surface.

Sure, we can have tax cuts, universal health care, homeland security and 'finish the jobs in the wars'. Anything else you want? The economy? Don't worry about it. It's strong. Why did we take down all the economic statistics data? We're saving YOU, the taxpayer, money!

Start making politicians legally accountable for the actions and things would change. At present, they are free to lie with impunity.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Great thread.

I think there is truly only one answer.

A president is often only as good as the congress he presides over.

We must have term limitations and we need them immediately. This will accomplish two things.

1. It will force the populace to be astute voters rather than "Oh I recognize that name" Check.

2. It will give us a freshness we so desperately need.

Please take 10 minutes of your time and tell me the following isn't a slam dunk for term limitations. People actually voted this example back in. Are you freakin' kidding me!

www.youtube.com...

Becker

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I heartily agree with Becker. But we won't see term limits anytime soon to be sure. Instead there is something we ALL can do: Vote ALL incumbents out in every election. Sever the prevailing special interest ties that have had a stranglehold on government for generations. Make sure politicians understand clearly (they're very arrogant and not very bright, you know) that they serve at the pleasure of The People. Take back your government people. Things are far more desperate than most of you realize.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
I heartily agree with Becker. But we won't see term limits anytime soon to be sure. Instead there is something we ALL can do: Vote ALL incumbents out in every election. Sever the prevailing special interest ties that have had a stranglehold on government for generations. Make sure politicians understand clearly (they're very arrogant and not very bright, you know) that they serve at the pleasure of The People. Take back your government people. Things are far more desperate than most of you realize.

I agree 100%. My view on elections are that it does not matter what party is in office(referring to Democrats and Republicans), you get the same thing. What about the other parties that can't compete with the Democrats or Republican's money? The Constitution party has some good ideas but no one ever hears about them except for on the local level. There are also the libertarians, and the green party. We need to have more than a two party system, inorder to keep different views in the government. I am a registered Republican, but I vote for who I think is the best person for the job, be it, Republican, Democrat, Constitution, or any of the other parties. The government does what ever it wants to, and this is not right! It is time to get the incumbants out, and allow all the parties equal representation and media coverage in elections. Imagine a presidential debate with 5 candidates from five different parties on a national network.

(they're very arrogant and not very bright, you know)

I work for the government, and most of the politicians I have met on the national level look down at the common American, and they feel that the common American (99% of the population) can not make decisions for them selves. If you have ever watched Stargate SG-1, there is a character Senator Kenzie, and this character acurately represents alot of politicians in our government

new topics

top topics

join