It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone think Atlantis will make it back?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
From its mission involving the ISS?

Anyone just get that idea that Atlantis might not make it back?

Its very similar experiences from the Columbia disaster with how much attention it got when it blew up on its course back, same thing with Atlantis now.

thoughts?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarentack
From its mission involving the ISS?

Anyone just get that idea that Atlantis might not make it back?

I think so. I just watched some videos at space.com. they had the launch and the flip. the shuttle looks fine. I know it's old, but I don't know why you think it may not make it back? havent heard anything from richard hoagland. Maybe he'll be on c2c tonite.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sarentack

How does one answer this question? The answer depends upon one's choice of perseption as an answer to the question of "What is Atlantis?".

If you believe that Atlantis was a place, then the answer is a simple no.

What else might Atlantis have been? Here's is how I see it.

Atlantis was a "school" for gifted humans to go to and learn so that they might go back and share what they had learned with their fellow tribes. This was the truest nature of "Atlantis".

So with that understanding "Atlantis" is no longer a place but it becomes a consept.

Sure one might understand that this "school" was teachered by "higher beings". Some call these "aliens".

In that case then in some contexts Atlantis has already returned and will continue to return.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

Erm Incarnated he was talking about the Space Shuttle Atlantis.
hEh

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant

Erm Incarnated he was talking about the Space Shuttle Atlantis.

Isn't one the "incarnation" of the other, really?

An interesting (maybe serendipitous) observation: Atlantis was a "school" for gifted humans to go to and learn, so that they might go back and share what they had learned with their fellow tribes.

Well said. Sort of an eternal metaphysical truth. Works on several levels for me.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

It is late. Though the answer does still work. I just saw the question and went with it. I in thinking about it am still unsure how a earthbound and known human flown space shuttle works into the "Aliens and UFOs" forum.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
There is always a 50/50 chance that a space mission could go wrong. Anyway,if there was something wrong with the shuttle. They wouldn't bring it down. They would have the shuttle stay dock with ISS until what is wrong with shuttle is fix.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Incarnated, that was very funny. thanks you made my day. The city of Atlantis is gone man. But, yes he was talking about the Space Shuttle.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
One in Seventy flights or so, and a Space Shuttles is lost. Chances are, this time it won't be any diferant.

And that's the end of that chapter.

[edit on 18/2/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Makes me ponder questions however...

If our government is suposed to have alien "UFO" technologies, whey is our space shuttles so crappy?

I mean this sounds like a convo I had with some of my friends when we were just teenagers and we were wondering if that crappy old beater car one of us bought for 250 dollars would make it on a road trip across state lines or to a consert.

Here are alien UFOs that can travel better then light speed and drive across the universe. Meanwhile men are pondering if it will make a trip out and back in to our own planet.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Our space Shuttles are not crappy, thank you very much.
They are surposed to be replaced in the coming decade.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
If our government is suposed to have alien "UFO" technologies, whey is our space shuttles so crappy?

because the new space technology is being tested. it takes about 20 years to test, then produce and then actually perform the task. NASA is working on a hundred things at a time. A moon landing, a Mars landing, a titan landing, more space station housing, hovering aircraft, etc. but trust me, NASA aint stupid. when the new space shuttle is revealed; I think most people will be stunned!

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I have good confidence that Atlantis and the 122 crew will do just fine.

Sure, there is always a risk. It's spaceflight... STS-122 is nominal at this point with no outstanding issues and is now several miles away from ISS on the way to a holding distance of 46 miles. There is no specific risk only the fear of a such risk. Wednesday weather is 60/40 for KSC, Edwards is ready.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 18-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
to add. I can't say that the Atlantis will last forever. at one time or another it's going to have problems. just hope it doesn't happen on lift off. they have to put it away soon.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

I understand completely jed'. Atlantis is the newest and most recently refitted. Stuff happens. The scandal over the tank hydrostatic catatrophic failure modes is a real bother... I smell a cover-up potential way, way, way, back. Before many were born. If they (high pressure tanks)were to fail they already would have this flight... in the less than friendly lack of pressure in space. They did do a 36 minute burn on Saturday using the same thrusters as for de-orbit to boost ISS's orbit for Soyuz and the ATV.
Atlantis is going to the new SPTS stuff, 123 Endeavour is rolling out to pad 39A right now... Mar 11 nominal launch.

STS-122 nominal de-orbit burn 8:03AM Wednesday morning Florida time... 9:06AM Eastern nominal touchdown at KSC. Perhaps earlier if Edwards.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Our space Shuttles are not crappy, thank you very much.
They are surposed to be replaced in the coming decade.

CRAP : simply means "Unwanted". So what is Crap to me might not be crap to you.

I think our Shuttles are crappy. I'd much rather have a alien "UFO". Wouldn't you?

If someone offered you a Shuttle or a UFO wouldn't you pick the UFO in a heartbeat? I know I would. Especially with the gas priceses these days.

In comparison to alien technologies that are being held away from mankind because of mankind's barbaric tendencies, everything mankind makes is crap perspectually.

new topics

top topics

join