It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kosovo Will Declare Independence Tomorow 17.2.2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Kosovo Will Declare Independence Tomorow 17.2.2008

news.bbc.co.uk

Kosovo's Prime Minister Hashim Thaci has given the clearest indication yet that the province will declare independence from Serbia on Sunday.
Mr Thaci said Sunday would be another day of calm during which institutions would be engaged in "implementing the will of the citizens of Kosovo".

Nothing Belgrade could do would have an impact on developments in Kosovo, he said without confirming the move.

Hours earlier, the EU approved sending a police and justice mission to Kosovo.

The 2,000-strong mission will begin deploying to the region from next week.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.yle.fi

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Finnish YLE news has verified that Kosovo will declare independecy tomorow, BBC is being more calm and waiting.

Lets hope tomorow will be a peaceful day, but i have a really bad feeling over this issue.

We will also most likely hear from ETA and many other separatist movements soon after the western world backs up Kosovo... this independece of few albanians could cause a lot of trouble all around the globe.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf

We will also most likely hear from ETA and many other separatist movements soon after the western world backs up Kosovo... this Independence of few albanians could cause a lot of trouble all around the globe.

)

For that reason I hope Russia says nope we wont have it. I bet the Serbs if they get the blessing from mother Russia will invade and crush the terrorist quickly.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am thinking the same about the Serbs. Russia gives them the go ahead and faces down the West while NATO and the EU scramble about not wanting to start a fight with the Brown Bear. This is certainly going to be a test of the EU's testicular fortitude.

Maybe Russia will back the Lakota's call for independence and send a police force to Montana?

Or could we see a Free Ireland armed with Kalishnakov's?

Seriously though, Putin has made some interesting comments regarding the break-away areas of the Ukraine and Georgia that might soon find some greatly needed Russian assistance much to the chagrine of Georgia, ukraine, and the EU.

Recognizing independent regions in sovereign nations is a slippery slope.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by Tinhatman]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
this event will worsen relations between the EU and the Russian federation (who are against an independence of that Serbian province)
I indeed fear this is an event we will remember a long time and not for the right reasons.
The fact the US have backed up this decision is no coincidence , my opinion is that there are three main reasons , sending a message to other muslim communities around the world ,isolating Russia a bit more and keeping the EU to enter any sort of partnership with the Russian federation.
Same sort of backing the US gave to another batch of member countries to the EU , which in my eyes , was a huge mistake.
I just can't imagine how our population would react if all of a sudden one of the minorities in the country would just proclaim independence of a part of our already tiny Grand Duchy.
A friend of mine got back from a 10 months mission in the international police force in kossovo a month ago and he was definitely not impressed about the situation down there, somtehing on the brighter side is that islamic extremism hasn't taken foot in kossovo yet but first signs are appearing.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by Hvitserk]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It looks less and less likely that Russia will intervene immediately. If was going to - we would already know about it, as it would need to start transporting necessary Russian military assets to Serbia right away. Russia does not appear to be preparing in any way.

Serbia is getting ready only in so far as to mobilize local militia and paramilitaries in Serbian regions of Kosovo. These groups are in no position to attack Albanians or NATO to prevent the separation of Kosovo, and can hardly defend the civilian Serbs if Kosovo Albanians get overly excited about their new freedom. Serbia itself doesn't appear to be mobilizing in force either.

I think it is a safe bet to assume Respublika Srpska and Serbian part of Kosovo will counter by declaring independence as well, either right after Kosovo or sometime in near future. If Kosovo Serbians declare independence from Kosovo - which they have every right (maybe even an obligation) to do, then NATO will be a very compromising and uncomfortable situation. What is NATO going to do then? How can it justify preventing Serbs in Kosovo from countering with an independence of their own? Is it going to prevent Albanians from attacking the Serbs in this case?

If NATO on the other hand allows the Albanian terrorists to attack Serbs in Kosovo, then Serbia would have to intervene, possibly followed by Russia's support. Then NATO's situation is even worse.

And what if Transdniester, Abkhazia and South Ossetia declare their independence immediately after Kosovo? This is the pandora's box that Russia and several other countries were talking about. There is no predicting what will happen, and who will declare independence next.

A multinational organization has approved a creation of an illegal sovereignty, which violates commonly accepted international laws. Not only is Kosovo's independence illegal, it is going to be headed by a recognized terrorist organization - led by thugs who have taken part in terrorist activities, guerilla warfare, and ethnic cleansing. How can NATO take itself seriously after this? NATO violated its own laws to help create a functioning terrorist-controlled state.

And this concerns not only Serbia. Montenegro, Macedonia, and Bosnia are all facing similar problems with the Albanian diaspora, who are pushing to create a Greater Albania. Is NATO going to protect these countries when the KLA resumes operations there, with renewed vigor and steady stream of financing and reinforcements from Kosovo? NATO just got itself into an even bigger mess, and it was already neck-deep in ****. I doubt NATO will stick around for long, because the morale of its troops is at an all time low, and one by one the member nations are cutting funding for the continued operations in the Balkans.

So we will be left with an independent Kosovo run by bandits whose political experience equates to knowing how to use an AK47, and separatists around the world who will now have a precedent to go by. And where the hell is the rest of Europe looking when this bull**** is happening right under their nose? Where are the mass public protests - the kind we saw when Israel bombed Lebanon or U.S. invaded Iraq? Where are the political pundits call the compromise of Territorial Integrity into question? Has Europe really become so lethargic and apathetic?

So who is going to be next to have their nation dissected? Macedonia? Montenegro? Moldavia? Spain? Georgia? Ukraine? Russia? Everyone is fair game now. Russia-U.S. relations take another hit, Europe sits by, and U.S. marvels at its abilities to go about its business without concern for those on whom it steps.

As much as I hope Russia or Serbia will intervene as soon as the farce of Kosovo independence comes into being, it appears that they too have succumbed to lethargy of international politics.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
For that reason I hope Russia says nope we wont have it. I bet the Serbs if they get the blessing from mother Russia will invade and crush the terrorist quickly.

Russia already said nope. U.S. replied that it couldn't give anymore of a cr*p. Seems that this reply is used all too often by the U.S. these days.

And what if Serbs start standing up for themselves? Next thing you know NATO declares another war on Serbia, with the requisite bombing campaign - and before you know it Serbia is further dissected by making Vojvodina a new sovereignty. Meanwhile Europe sits by blindfolded, and nods approvingly as the Hague Tribunal drafts another soap opera to lay the fictitious foundations to support another adventure by U.S. and team.

Face it - U.S. and NATO do what they wish in Europe - it is their domain. God fobid a nail sticks out - it will hammered in faster than you can say "territorial integrity". Russia could do something, but its interference will have too many implication for its own foreign policy, and the Western media will have another reason to shower Putin and his successor with criticizm - last thing Medvedev needs when he gets elected.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a military intervention won't happen, to much at stake
maybe the Russian federation will provide some diplomatic assistance but that would be it.
What a fantastic signal the EU is sending, looking at the amount of minorities around here, we will soon be ending with 2 dozen new countries .
Another more pragmatic thought , what will that new creation will be living off ?
Let me tell you , EU subsidies (in other words for you and me in EU member countries , our taxes)
Albania is technically another third world country , so do not expect much from that side.On the other hand, if the EU doesn't pump in hundreds of millions, the Saudis are just around the corner waiting for another chance to spread radical wahhabism in yet another country (after all they have provided money to most muslim fighter groups in that region already)
So here we are creating a European, Palestine like entity , kept alive artificially to avoid it's infection by foreign agents.
It's about time to stop this nonsense

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I think this will have repercussions the world over, now every secessionist group just got some more fuel for the fire.

From the IRA to MEChA and Aztlan this is not going to look pretty ...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Isn't it amazing how history repeats itself? Serbia/Kosovo as a flashpoint. Shades of early 20th century, no? WWI ring any bells? All of Europe trembles to events in Serbia. Plus ce change, plus ce mem chose. Or something like that...

How many die this time? Every single generation, why are we surprised? Only this time, weapons are available that can destroy us all...

It's gonna be an interesting summer, folks...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
well i'm not so sure it will have such drastic consequences , at least not in armed conflict terms, but economicaly and geopolitically yes
Alliances have changed too, France is no longer an ally of Serbia , the events in the balkans in the last 20 years and the fact that France hosts a large muslim community are , in my eyes , two major and determining elements of the support France (and other countries like Germany and the UK) is giving to this new entity.
let's not forget that Sarkozy is not really keeping up to his promises and the polls in his favour are dropping sharply,regaining a more left enclined part of his electorate will pass through political stunts like this one, but that is for another thread i believe.

top topics

join