It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MyAspartameExperiment.com - a private study shows links to cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Someone actually took it into their own hands to conduct research into aspartame, especially after all the controversy it has caused since being FDA approved (thanks to Don Rumsfeld).

www.myaspartameexperiment.com...

I did my aspartame experiment because my family was addicted to diet soda. After researching the effects of aspartame, I strongly believed the artificial sweetener might one day lead to their illness and even early death.

Most influential in my research on the aspartame molecule was The Bressler Report. (3) Dr. Jerome Bressler, M.D., led an FDA task force to attempt to validate the authenticity of a study done by G.D. Searle, the pharmaceutical company that held the patent to the “sweetener.”

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A good interesting article.

However, it was hardly definitive.

BUT, it makes me want to look for other sources regarding aspartame.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this as well.

Other than that, good job

I look forwards to reading more

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Maybe instead of rats he should have used you for a guinea pig.That would have been more definitive.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
yes, rats will develop tumors anyways, but I think it's fascinating (in a creepy way) that someone would do all this on their own accord. It's a shame the FDA won't do this.

as for my thoughts, I think aspartame, sucralose, and all other artificial sweeteners (equal, splenda, sweet-n-low, nutrasweet, etc.) are a horrible idea. Luckily for me, they also just taste horrible and give me a unique headache. It's literally a different drug that has certain side effects.

I'm kinda picky though, I also view sugar as a toxin (albeit one I can't seem to kick), and I try to use no sweeteners, or stevia as a replacement whenever possible.

Doing even a mild amount of research (1-2 hours) on aspartame will uncover so many inconsistencies and questions, that I'm fairly certain that even the most conservative person will notice some extremely contradicting reports. The thing you notice is that all positive reports on aspartame seem to be linked to government funded studies, while all negative reports are, well... anything that's not funded by the government.

[edit on 17-2-2008 by scientist]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Staying on topic and avoiding personal attacks is the way to go forward here.

The subject is the effects of aspartame... not budski.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum

Maybe instead of rats he should have used you for a guinea pig.That would have been more definitive.

I don't think budski was trying to discredit the research, but probably pointing out the fact that rats are much more prone to tumors and cancer than guinea pigs, and probably a plethora of other animals that could have been used as test subjects... however, guinea pigs have stricter dietary requirements - so that would have been more expensive / difficult to maintain as well.

The main point is that there should be more testing, but the product has already been in the market for decades, and it's a moneymaker.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

The main point is that there should be more testing, but the product has already been in the market for decades, and it's a moneymaker.

Most definitely - I'm going to have a look for any european research that may have taken place, and also do some more reading about aspartime, although my mum (alternative medicine type person) has been saying about this for years, and the dangers of the additive.

This has really piqued my interest

A couple of links about european studies:
here
and here

These seem to suggest that aspartame is mostly safe - although I'm not entirely sure I agree with "acceptable" risk.
Any risk is unacceptable if you're the one who gets sick from this.

[edit on 17/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

These seem to suggest that aspartame is mostly safe

from your own link:

Results
9. Overall, a significant increase in malignant tumour

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Sorry, I meant the second link - not quite fully awake yet, had a bit of a late one last night

Although there is evidence to show the link, the FDA and EFSA have consistently said it's safe.
Although there is also evidence to suggest that the product is still used because of pressure from the manufacturer.

All in all, I think I'm going to check anything I buy for aspartame.

[edit on 17/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
include these tidbits in your research:

www.whale.to...

new topics

top topics

join