It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IE7 issues

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Windows vista users with a Com Surrogate error beware of shutting down any services to cure the problem. Instead just uninstall DivX and see if that makes the error go by by. The Com Surrogate error happens when the pictures folder is open and the system is scanning the folder for images.

Flash9b.ocx errors pop up from some crappy ATS flash ad coding. I get that error also. Its something in the flash code doing it. I had problems with casalemedia ads on ATS with my browser as well. I fixed that with security settings.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm back and I'm road testing Safari....

fingers crossed.

I will stop by if some issues occur.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

You had issues with firefox? I am blown away by this as I have read so many testaments from people who were so glad they switched. I have yet to have a problem with FF after using it for approx 4 years now. The only thing was early on you had to dump your old version before loading a newer version as the load over didn't work real well. However, now the updated versions load right over no problem. Other than that I have nothing but great things to say about firefox. I wouldn't go back to IE at gunpoint!

As for Vista, I have not been misled. In fact I have not been led at all. Maybe I 'm wrong but I am just doing this waiting period on my own and don't really read much about Vista at all. I usually give new OS's at least a year before trying them. Just my way I guess and I would imagine you are correct if loading it onto machines that don't have the capacity to run it. Makes sense!

I would definitely give firefox another try as I would be so bold as to say your issue was a fluke of some sort. The only issues I see now are that it's becoming so popular that the sinister faction will start attacking it specifically in the same ways they do IE now. Thankfully I haven't seen these problems yet.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
So how can I stop this?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

I've been getting the same problem occasionally as well. I think it's from some of the new ads(since the problem is with flashplayer), I will have to make a note of which ads are up next time this happens.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This appears to be an increasingly widespread problem. Lots of good detail here.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

So, um, is there a way to fix it?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I suspect the flash ad with that cackling laughter is what triggers the problem. There are numerous flash ad files running on ATS and It happens with a seldom occurance. I have only had the problem when on ATS and know it is some bad scripting trying to do something its not supposed to be doing.

Edit to ad: I think the offender maybe the yellow laughing emoticons that show up every now and than from the right hand side bar flashing google ads.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by WorldShadow]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
I suspect the flash ad with that cackling laughter is what triggers the problem.

From what I can see, it's rather random, and seems more to be tied to potentially bad timing that ends up being rather unpredictable... essentially any Flash animation seems to be able to trigger the error, as long as it loads and runs precisely at the same time another ActiveX call attempts to access the same block of system memory.

The probability that a specific ad banner is causing this is rather slim... banner designers tend to design their animations for the lowest-common denominator version of Flash so that the banner functions on the broadest range of browsers.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
It did turn out to be an add-on Flash component.

I run xp and if I have more than 6 tabs open on ATS then I get an add on error and ie closes. I also have the problem if I run more than one video at once at you tube.
good luck with your pc

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Your statement is reasonable in narrowing the flash9b.ocx conspiracy. But, I just had the flash ocx error alert come up and get this, I had another 2nd tab open in focus with 2 occurances of other webpages running with ATS running on the 1st original tab in the background unfocused. The ATS page suddenly came to the front focus, the 2nd tab session went to back focus and the flash9b.ocx error appeared on top of the ATS page.

I still suspect a rotated flash ad on ATS caused this. I did try to scroll up to see which ad was on the ATS screen but because the flash error locks the browser, I could not identify the ad.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Whatever it was seems to have fixed itself. I got back on my laptop this morning and updated everything and no more IE shutdowns on ATS. Must have been dealt with in an update.

I'm going to listen to others and switch to Firefox today.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I'm going to listen to others and switch to Firefox today.

never too late to make the right decision!

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Don't use IE and download firefox----it's free.
The problem is with adobe flash, and it is a well known problem discussed on a few threads.
I love firefox, it is stable, customizable, and free. Just for the security alone it should be everyones favorite.
The only problem with it is it loads slower than IE, as IE has it's fingers all through the operating system.
But what is a few seconds in comparison to having to restart explorer over and over again?
Once it is loaded, it runs faster, safer, and with much less problems.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I didn't get that flash # for a while now, but today I've gotten it three times on ATS. Anyone else getting it on ATS again?

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I uninstalled and reinstalled all the Flash stuff from all my computers and have not had a problem since. I could not find a word about this on Adobe's site. I had it happen only while at ATS and it happened on three computers, two running XP Pro and one running Vista. There was an unistaller to download and I used it because I thought it would be more thorough. So far so good. It seems that whatever it was must have been in an update or something.

I'm going to get Firefox installed this weekend on everything I own. I've got it on one and other than being slow I find it not to different than IE. Call me weird but I liked IE. It is like throwing out a pair of old comfortable Levi's.

Edited to add: I should have mentioned it happened on machines running both ATI and NVidia cards. All high end cards as I do a lot of graphics work. I see that some on the Net are thinking it is the cards but I don't see it.

[edit on 2/26/2008 by Blaine91555]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I upgraded the flash player to the latest so called flash9e stable version with no luck. I still received a flash9e.ocx error on ATS. The old version player I had installed, suddenly showed flash9b.ocx around two and half, three weeks ago. The next newer version was flash9d.ocx to the now latest version flash9e.ocx which only throws up the error while on ATS. I never get the error on google or youtube or other websites with flash playing.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Seems like it must be related to certain ads somehow? I may have only seen this on ATS because I don't go to many sites that have ads. Mostly sites hosted by software I own. I suppose a wise person would contact Adobe directly, but naw, makes to much sense for me to actually do it. Anyone else contact their support?

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

I tend to talk about a long while ago as if it was yesterday. When I first tried Firefox it was fairly new I think. I can see its different now.

I'm sure your right about it being better to wait but I needed a new laptop and they all had Vista. I've had zero issues other than crappy drivers which has nothing to do with the OS. I would not put it on a cheap laptop though. Vista is a hungry OS. I had a new graphics computer built a few weeks ago and I stuck with XP Pro with the same thought in mind as you plus I avoided the driver issues on a commercial Epson printer. I would not be afraid to run Vista on a new high end computer though if it were not for that.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Its Back! Same stuff all over again and only happening on ATS for me. I'm going to contact Adobe support today and find out whats up. They are generally quite helpful. I'll post the info later if I have any luck.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join