It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrospies On NOVA - The Militarization Of Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This should be of interest of a number of members and it's a new show that NOVA is running on PBS - WNED tonight at 8:00 PM, February 12.
They also run a repeat on the 14th at 11:30 PM

ASTROSPIES
A look at the Cold War-era plans of the U.S. and USSR to militarize space. Included: insights from astronauts involved in the top-secret American program; a look at the Soviet "Almaz" spy station.

www.wned.org...

It runs on #19 for Cogeco Cable customers in southern Ontario and WNED is available in New York as well, but check your local listings.

EDIT: Here's the cut and paste from my on-line TV guide.

[edit on 13/2/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
*BUMP*

It's just starting now and it looks like it'll be interesting.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
watching it now, seems pretty interesting...

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Crud...and i so wanted to see it too. Oh well, guess ill wait for tomorrow to watch it online at work. From what i perused about it, it should be a heckuva show.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Oh well, guess ill wait for tomorrow to watch it online at work.

I checked the site but this episode isn't available on-line yet.
www.pbs.org...

I'm sure it'll be posted soon, but it also runs on the channel a few times this month.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Thats a good thing. I much rather watch it in HD sittin in my comfy chair then sit at my pc. Thanx for the heads up AD.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As I mentioned in a similar thread, the show is up on the Nova site:

www.pbs.org...

It's in several parts. There's also a transcript!

Chapter 1
SPY ASTRONAUTS
A secret U.S. Air Force program launched in 1964, called MOL for Manned Orbiting Laboratory, is one of the great untold stories of the Cold War.

Chapter 2
MANNED ORBITERS
Parallel covert programs are developed in the United States and the Soviet Union, with astronauts trained to spy from space.

Chapter 3
A SPACE BATTLEFIELD?
While both the astronauts and cosmonauts were training for reconnaissance, military planners saw orbiting spy stations as just a first step in the militarization of space.

Chapter 4
A PROGRAM IN TROUBLE
Tragedy strikes the MOL program, and even as the secret race between the U.S. and Russia continues, advances in unmanned satellite reconnaissance threatens the program's very existence.

Chapter 5
SPYING ON THE U.S.
Although the U.S. abandons its MOL program, the Russians succeed in flying secret manned spy missions over U.S. territory and that of its allies from 1974 to 1977.

I found the program interesting, but not that exciting.

Also, couldn't figure out from the recounting if the program actually flew or never got off the ground, being canceled at the last minute.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Found a cool link about how they initially discovered the suits which lead to uncovering more about the MOL program.

Found: Lost Suits for Space Spies

And from BBC news.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Badge01]

top topics

join