It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunter Green Dart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
All that is known now about the Green Dart is that Northrop Gruman built it, and it's deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. When Northrop was asked about it they said they were "not allowed to comment" and directed all questions to INSCOM. It's costing $22.5 million for one, but no one knows what it is.

There is some interesting speculation going on however. All of that has recently been put to rest with the find of a contract award mentioning a payload named the "Hunter Green Dart". So we now know that it's a payload belonging to the Intelligence and Security Command, but that's all.

Any speculation?

BQM-155/RQ-5/MQ-5 Hunter:

The Hunter, originally known as JIMPACS (Joint Improved Multimission Payload Aerial Surveillance, Combat Survivable), was based on the Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) Impact UAV. TRW provided systems integration and management of the Hunter in the USA. In March 1991, the evaluation of Sky Owl and Hunter began. The tests included "relay flights", in which one vehicle would relay the signals between the ground and another vehicle, which was flying the actual mission. In June 1992, the Hunter was declared the winner of the UAV-SR competition, and in February 1993, TRW received a contract for seven complete Hunter systems, with an average of eight vehicles per system. None of the reserved PQM-149 and PQM-150 designations was used, however, and Hunter became the BQM-155A instead.

In 1999, some Hunters were taken out of storage for operational use in the operation in the Kosovo. At that time, the BQM-155A was redesignated as RQ-5A (in the new Q-for-UAV series in the designation system for manned aircraft), and several RQ-5As were equipped with a laser designator. The remaining Hunter systems of the U.S. Army were used for test and evaluation purposes, and were planned to be retired when the new RQ-7 Shadow 200 became available. However, initial delays in the RQ-7 program and later the growing importance of UAVs have lead to a marked increase of the Army's use of their RQ-5A systems.

Beginning in January 2003, Northrop Grumman developed a repackaged version of their BAT (Brilliant Anti-Tank) guided anti-armour submunition, which can be deployed by suitably modified Hunters. The first modified BATs and Hunters were delivered to the U.S. Army in March 2003, and in April 2005 the designation MQ-5A was allocated to RQ-5As modified for weapons delivery.

In 2003, Northrop Grumman purchased the Hunter program from TRW. Subsequently, the company developed the MQ-5B, a Hunter variant which has been further optimized for the multi-mission role. It first flew in July 2005. The MQ-5B has a longer center-wing section, increasing the span by about 1.5 m (5 ft). This ensures proper clearance of the landing gear when dropping the BAT weapon. Additionally, the longer wing provides for a higher ceiling, and holds more fuel for increased endurance. The MQ-5B is also fitted with improved avionics and Mercedes Benz heavy-fuel engines. The U.S. Army has ordered 18 MQ-5B aircraft, which are expected to remain in service until at least 2009.

www.designation-systems.net...

There is the possibility that Green Dart is related to the Viper Strike package that was under development, but why would they have two names for the same project at the same time? Especially when there is actually a LOT of information about Viper Strike out there, and NOTHING about Green Dart.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The reason for 2 code names is a very easy question to answer.

Feed BS to the public about 1 and say they are both similar.

People ask less question when they think they know whats going on.

The project sounds similar the project "Black Dart" - Unmanned planes.

I can only assume that they are developing unmanned fighters/bombers with anti tank missiles as payoad.

I'll look for more information and let you know what i find.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
We know that it's a payload of some kind, and we know that it's for a UAV. But beyond that there's just nothing. I think it'll be interesting to get the members in here digging and see what we can come up with.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Ok sounds neat at the very least and with it being narrowed down to payload I'll take a look for any info I can find tomorrow. Thx for the heads up on this thread Zaph.

On thinking about it for a second and doing a quick bit of reading this evening I'm leaning towards a tracking pod/payload of some sort.

Also Flight global has been cover this story as well.
www.flightglobal.com...

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Canada_EH]

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
More news leak of sort on the project. Here is the link:
www.fbo.gov...

We really still don't know much more but with the small leaks on other systems for IED hunting called Angel Fire, Highlighter, Constant Hawk that may work in concert with UAV systems that employ Greendart. And all or one of the Angel Fire, Highlighter, Constant Hawk projects may be funded under a title called Liberty ship.

Solicitation Number:
W58RGZ08C0025GREENDART
Notice Type:
Presolicitation
Synopsis:
Added: February 11, 2008
The US Army Aviation and Missile Command (AMCOM) located at Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, Alabama has an urgent requirement to procure on a sole source basis the on-site technical, engineering, logistics, training, and operational support to Operatio n Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) for the Green Dart Payload effort.

These items are only available through Northrop Grumman Technical Services, Inc., 4067 Enterprise Way, Sierra Vista (Garden Canon), AZ 85635-2273. It is anticipated the award will be a Cost Plus Fixed Fee modification to the current contract. All responsible sources may submit a quote to the e-mail address in this notice. All submissions must be received by 25 Feb 2008.

The proposed contract act ion is for supplies or services for which the Government intends to solicit and negotiate with only one source under authority of FAR 6.302. Interested persons may identify their interest and capability to respond to the requirement or submit proposals. T his notice of intent is not a request for competitive proposals. However, all proposals received within forty-five days (thirty days if award is issued under an existing basic ordering agreement) after date of publication of this synopsis will be consider ed by the government. A determination by the Government not to compete this proposed contract based upon responses to this notice is solely within the discretion of the government. Information received will normally be considered solely for the purpose o f determining whether to conduct a competitive procurement.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Still don't know what it is, but they're surging it to Iraq to support intelligence and reconnaissance missions in country. They're sending new and retrofitted MQ-5Bs to carry the payload. Best guess so far is that it's an ISR system or used for counter IED work.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
If you go to the Northrop-Grumman website and simply do a search for 'Green Dart', you get this: MQ-5B-Hunter:

www.irconnect.com...

I hazard a guess that the 'Green Dart' referred to in the original article, is an updated variant of the 'Viper Strike' munition carried by the UAV. The only pic I could find, is this:

www.es.northropgrumman.com...

Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Its awesome to see a great program stay out of the publics eye... Come join the US Army and find out

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The "Dart" suffix is used for UAV programs; it's not Viper Strike (we already know about that, and it's not secret...and Green Dart seems to be bigger).

It appears to be related to the counter-IED effort, and the smart money is on an exotic sensor or similar. It might also be some sort of HPM device for neutralising IEDs from a distance.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Need some help please guys. I'm on my work computer right now and can't listen to the audio, but someone explained what this is.

www.flightglobal.com...

I don't have a connection at home right now, because we're moving again, so can someone do a brief synopsis for me?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It's a cheap and immediate off-the-shelf precursor to the BAE SIGINT package

www.baesystemspresskit.com...

"The system detects, identifies, locates and reports enemy electronic emitters to aid in situational awareness and targeting."

top topics

join