It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France bans GM crops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

France bans GM crops

www.physorg.com

The French government on Saturday suspended the use of genetically modified corn crops in France while it awaits EU approval for a full ban.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Personnaly I think this stuff is a load of ****, not the crops but rather the people who say its bad for the enviroment and all that carry on,in 20 years of this stuff growing in the wild I have yet to see any adverse effects on the enviroment or mutants walking around after eating the stuff!

www.physorg.com

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pro-genetic

Personnaly I think this stuff is a load of ****, not the crops but rather the people who say its bad for the enviroment and all that carry on,in 20 years of this stuff growing in the wild I have yet to see any adverse effects on the enviroment or mutants walking around after eating the stuff!

www.physorg.com

Did you know that the biggest issue with GM vegetables is that they are typically modified in such a way that they will not reproduce? This is so people can not use them as seed and grow their own, but have to purchase more.

So you think this is quite alright?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I disagree. The GM manufactured crops are genetically. There geonome is copyrighted, and the use of the GM seeds without purchase from Alsonto, the #1 manufacturer, and btw owns 90% of ALL seed production can result in a lawsuit. There have been NUMEROUS cases of Alsonto, or subsideraries of them suing farmers for seeds being used when the farmers had no knowledge of it. An example being a case where the farmer up the road purchased the seeds, they brought them in, in a dump truck and some of the seeds got loose in the field by the road. As the farmer grew his crops it intergrated more and more into his field. When they checked the DNA of the crop it was a 50/50 mix of GM seeds, which the farmer had not purchased, and consequently he got sued, had to destroy his crop, and purchase all future seeds for them.

While there are merits to GM foods, do you really want 1 company having the power to do what they want with them, with little to no oversite? Yes we have the FDA, but everyone knows they are bought out from the corporations, and have no interest in protecting the people. Just look at all the drug recalls as evidence.

Additionally, why is dementia, altimers, autism, ADD, and everything else so pervelent in western society, while not the case in countries that don't have GM crops, corporate livestock with numerous drugs and hormones in them, and an alphabet soup of drugs that people take.

Just my 2 cents, I hope they ban them, and ban them everywhere else. Have you ever tasted an egg from a free range chicken vs the eggs from the store? or have you tasted the difference in meat that is natural and grass feed vs corporate owned? If you have, then you would agree with me.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Banning GM foods is a great idea to me!
our goverments are killing us slowly.. take power over what you eat, it structures your own DNA and food is our nutraints in keeping us healthy and alive! People who do not understand what this is doing to them needs to do their research and see the evidence to how bad it really is, Ever tried a strawberry that is organic and unreated, infact every single veg/fruit, tastes so much better without GM. We all have to take the power back from the goverment and take responsibility for our own health by understanding how important it is to eat food that is not tampered with or soon one day our future generations wont grow old only die young and think it is compleatly normal. and its due to the food that is being tampered with that we eat.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I would have said the exact same things as others have already said and I nod in agreement with the total banning of GM crops.

I wold also like to add this.
GM crops to blame for disappearance of honey bees? as, according to some, it is the GM crops that is to blame.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Yes, I agree and wouldn't doubt it re: bee's disappearing.

For me it's rather simple - GM food is just unnatural, how anyone can be okay with it is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Most corn in the US is under one or two strains (types of corn) because of certain massive corporations who dominate all other corn growers. This is very dangerous because if this one kind of corn gets a disease that wipes it out than, well... that is bad. But if there are several strains of corn than if one gets a disease and is wiped out it is not as severe.

It is probably a lot easier to control only one strain of corn because the company can simply look at it's DNA etc and determine who owns it. Plus they try to make the single most profitable genetically modified corn type.

So yay to dismantling GM!

Also, Europe in general does not accept genetically modified crops

[edit on 10/2/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
How can ye all be against it? The benefits are huge! And so what if a company owns a seed they have researched and produced, I think there are issuses with capitalism here rather than GM seeds, and as for the farmer with the mixed seeds in his crop, they cant reproduce so a few seeds magically turned into 50% of his crop, if it was an accident then the company has to be fairer,but if its a simple case of the farmer tryin to pull a fast one then im all behind the companies!
And to missuneko taste is a matter of opinion,not law, i personally think lots of organic food tastes really bad, free range chickens and eggs! YOCK, and sorry to burst yer bubble but everything ye eat today has been genetically engineered down the centuries!and i mean everything, from beef to vegatables to farmed fish!

[edit on 10-2-2008 by Pro-genetic]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
what benifits are they???? to human health??? if the structures of the foods we eat are being tampered with and copied and altered to a state where our human bodies will not beable to take in the nutriants of these GM foods which is what keeps use alive? if we eat food that looses the correct structurings then we do not benifit from eating them, we might as well be eating burgers and chips that are cooked in a microwave and kill every living cell..

Please explain beinifits to GM food?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Pro-genetic

I would urge you to do some research into GM crops before you start making the claims you do. Monsanto along with other such companies are taking over our food supply. The scale at which GM crops are being grown in encroaching on non-GM organic growers. Contaminating others fields, taking over their cops due to wind driven cross pollination, and destroying heirloom varieties.

The stance you have herd people make here is not anti-capitalist it is anti-imperialist. I have no faith in the good intentions of mega-cooperations. I also have not faith in only 20 years of GMs loose on the planet as being a reasonable time frame with which to assume GM is safe.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by misuneko

the benefits are numerous, stable outputs means stable prices!
In lesser developed countries, meeting the agronomic needs may mean the difference between a harvest and no harvest at all. It is evident that meeting farmers’ agronomic needs benefits all humankind.
Healthier oils, increased levels of vitamins, proteins and amino acids are examples. While these primarily benefit consumers in the developed world, some, such as increased levels of essential vitamins and other nutrients, also benefit those in the developing world.
so there you go

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

We let masses of crops go to waist so that prices will rise, when we aught to be sending them to those you speak of.

This isn't for the people, it's for those at the top.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

And i suggest you do the same! If a GM seed cross polinates with another non GM seed you get a new entity, one which the corporations did not create and so have no legal right to it! And you have no faith on the 20 years of gm crops? i got that figure wrong,should be a couple of 0's on the end of that figure, humanity has been doing this since we learned how to plant seeds!

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

reply to post by misuneko

the benefits are numerous, stable outputs means stable prices!

Yes, for now. But once Monsato controls ALL the seed for any given crop and the competition is gone, then what?

In lesser developed countries, meeting the agronomic needs may mean the difference between a harvest and no harvest at all. It is evident that meeting farmers’ agronomic needs benefits all humankind.

A HUGE lack of consideration here man. What makes you think the people in lesser developed countries WANT us to come in and save them? What makes you think they need to, or want to, be saved? What makes you think that in some of theses countries people are nto happy as it is with out our interference?

Healthier oils, increased levels of vitamins, proteins and amino acids are examples. While these primarily benefit consumers in the developed world, some, such as increased levels of essential vitamins and other nutrients, also benefit those in the developing world.
so there you go

A value based assumption. You assume that because it is not the US or some other advanced white country even their food products are not as healthy as ours? Furthermore what makes you think GM crops are more healthy than non-GM crops? How about you show some evidence of that.

Your argument is weak and you position is slightly infuriating. I appologize for being heated but I do not appreciate that spam that you are bringing to the table mate.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If people really want nutrition they should stop their unhealthy habits. You don't need ultra modified crops to be healthy lol; supporting these corporations which control everyone else in the field is dangerous. Modified crops open the opportunity to induce anything they want into the product when they get powerful enough.

[edit on 10/2/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

1)
There are these magic things called Anti-trust laws.
2)
i'm pretty sure that a starving man would like his food to do more for him and the farmer would be more than willing to grow em cause they give more yield, simple!
3)www.acsh.org...

now i ask you to give evidence of gm crops being unhealthy!
It is in fact your argument that is weak, and no need to apologize1

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

reply to post by Animal

And i suggest you do the same! If a GM seed cross polinates with another non GM seed you get a new entity, one which the corporations did not create and so have no legal right to it!

US biotechnology company Monsanto has taken a Canadian farmer to court, accusing him of illegally growing its genetically-modified (GM) crop...

In 1998, genetically-modified rape seed was found growing on his farm. He says he never planted it, never wanted it and suspects it blew onto his land uninvited.

And in this case? Or how about this?

The UK case

The court proceedings come two weeks after news that farmers in the United Kingdom have unwittingly been growing GM rape seed for two years.

The crops were grown from seeds imported from Canada and taken from plants that had accidentally been exposed to GM material from nearby fields.

Personally I agree with the lawyer of the Canadian Farmer who said this...

'Out of control' seeds

Mr Schmeiser's lawyers say the case is evidence that GM crops are spreading unchecked across farmland.

"It was something that was unleashed into the environment and cannot be controlled," said Terry Zakreski, Mr Schmeiser's solicitor.

The defence will argue that Monsanto failed to instruct farmers properly on how to plant the genetically engineered rape seed and keep it from spreading to neighbouring fields.

link

Here are some more links of information on this issue for you to read up on...

link 2

link 3

link (Terminator Gene)

link 5

[edit on 10-2-2008 by Animal]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

"The fact is, it is virtually impossible to even conceive of a testing procedure to assess the health effects of genetically engineered foods when introduced into the food chain, nor is there any valid nutritional or public interest reason for their introduction."

-Richard Lacey: Professor of Food Safety, Leeds University

I urge you to start here, plenty of information, resources and all. If you're still adamant that GM foods are okay after reading this, and many other information sites as such available on the web, then well I guess we can just agree to disagree.

At the end of the day we can choose to accept it, and consume it, or we boycott it and try our best to be good to our bodies, as nature intended.

[edit on 10-2-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

You obviously know nothing about agriculture if you think genetically modified crops are a good thing.

A few points:

Resistance to pests and diseases is easier with a diverse crop planting. If you have all of the same plant and a cricket comes through that loves what you're growing, you're done for the season.

GMO crops are called 'terminator' seeds. This means at the end of every season you have to go back to the seed distributor and BUY new seeds. That kills a farmer. If we're not able to keep our heirloom seeds from the last season, there's no point in farming.

GMO crops are also known to be biologically unstable. Native plants do not grow well with them. Native plants grow OK next to field crops, but terribly with GMO crops with chemical fertilizers and the whole lot.

This is a very bad idea to use GMO anything.

Good for France for banning their use. I wish we could do the same, but the politicians are bought and paid for by lobbyists and corporations. Too bad.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join