It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green stuff on Mars. (picture)

page: 1

join
share:
Ram

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
four years ago (2004) I was very interrested in Mars. I searched the net for all information on Mars and research.

1024x1024 version
I found this picture.
I put it on a CD to show to a friend of mine - It's a trip with train and buss.
I handed him the CD with alot of interresting pictures from Mars -and when I came back home again - My Windows crashed, as windows does once in a while - and I formatted my HD. (winXP)
Yesterday I got the CD back - I don't think you can find this picture on the net anymore - but here it is.

I have no idea what to make of it.

(im not online at the moment - But please say what you think of this)

highest resolution I have of this is 1024x1024pixels

cheers

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Ram]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Wow, Idk what to make of that, other than it looks like a moss of some sort. I'd say if you can't find it on the net anymore, then its a gem, granted you haven't messed with it in any way. I'd like to believe its a real image, but of course there's always going to be people who scream hoax. Either way nice image, starred and flagged.

Ram

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Name is as I found it back then.

wom_iod040517a
-

-BLUE STONES-

This picture was also on my CD

larger version
This picture I also found back in and around 2004-05.

It was in a forum for proffesors discussin Mars - It was part of a neat slideshow - And some proffesor had wrote - "The stones are blue" - I guess to inform people.

It has all the colorfilters on -
named spiritsol149pan

sorry it wont upload the 7851x1052
so i made a zoom image in "paint"
zoom version 625x582

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Ram]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Interesting photos.. neither of them have had any colour change at all? I say this because as well as there being what looks like moss and blue rocks.. the sky is blue.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I have seen these photos before, and I think it was here on ATS but I'm not certain. If it was taken on Mars than this is quite amazing and it wouldn't surprise me too much when considered next to the image tampering that NASA has been caught doing. Either way, I can't tell if they were really taken on Mars or not. It could just be Arizona for all I know. It's a lot different from the Mars photos I have seen from NASA but I know now those had altered colour and other garbage.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Hmm ... that is definately Mars ... or at least NASA claims it to be so

Panoramic from NASA/JPL site (direct link)

another

Here is the thing, that is a better quality image than I found on their site! Not red oversoaked, not b&w, not 3D ... check out the page starting at 2004 for the panoramics so I don't link extensively in this post.

Panoramic page 2004 images NASA

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ram

Hi Ram

This is the shield released after the impact

msnbcmedia4.msn.com...

Don't take as green what you see green: these are not actual colors.

Regards,
Internos

[edit on 6/2/2008 by internos]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I would also say don't take orange/red too seriously either ... as they are also not true colors.

I doubt that shield was that color just after the impact. There is no doubt in my mind that isn't natural color (shield picture). Looks kinda like it would if you wore orange sunglasses (yes, I know, a friend had some orange tinted glasses, crazy and disorienting a bit).

They do have a set of filters that work, but, they don't like to use them much

L2 L5 L6 is it? I may be off, since it was a few weeks ago I looked it up

You know, I think NASA likes the CTs, it keeps some public interest, which helps with keeping funding. Why else wouldn't they use the proper filters for at least one set of pictures a day or month.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Those are not the actual colors. NASA filters and puts in different colors for the general public (and some things are easier to see). They do it for the "general public" which I don't agree with. Just publish the untouched/unaltered pictures, it would save so much confusion.

On some pictures, you can see a circle with 3 triangles on the base. Red, Yellow, and Blue. They are also labeled. When NASA "fixes" the colors, you can easily tell by looking at the color key, they are no where close to the true colors.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I remember reading various threads about NASA's color tampering here on ATS. NASA was adding a reddish tint to the pictures which made the surface of Mars look much less inhabitable.
NASA Tampering with Images from Mars Rover Spirit

If that was hard to understand, this thread explains it a lot better.

NASA Tampering with Colors on Mars?

Oh and here's a thread that basically disproves everything I just linked to. Shucks. Decide for yourself I guess.

NASA is not altering Mars colors

I personally still think they are editing the Mars photographs, whether it be changing the color or editing out any anomalous structures.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Oh NASA sure as heck is altering colors.

Here's a Mars rover image that I came across on a Bob Lazar thread--someone found it interesting and was wondering why Lazar had posted it on his United Nuclear website. Here's the
image posted on Lazar's site.

It's been saturated with red and orange. I thought Lazar had posted it on his site because of what looks like algae or lichen appearing all over it, and NASA pushed up the saturation of warm colors to cover that up.

Here's a version which I just ran through photoshop; all I did was use "auto correct" and lightened the image a bit. Lots of licheny-olive green suddenly pops out, especially at near-right.

This image is very low-res; copy the original and auto-correct it in PS and you'll see what for all the world looks like the edge of a rock-strewn tidal flat.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by gottago]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I know this much. Mars has trace amounts of oxygen. Now I know oxygen can be made from electricity and water but not much and not on the scale to support oxygen on mars unless Mars has lots of rainstorms we have never documented. This leaves only one explanation. Plants.

If I had to guess I would guess that the photo of the green stuff was taken in either the upper or lower hemisphere closer to one of the poles.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

There is but one problem with that... Oxygen is rated as the third most abundant element in the universe. 1% of the sun is oxygen. Are you suggesting plants exist on the surface of the sun???

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
If I had to guess I would guess that the photo of the green stuff was taken in either the upper or lower hemisphere closer to one of the poles.

The rovers are nowhere near the poles.

Both rovers landed closer to the equator and have only traveled a few miles in their lifetimes so far. Since landing 4 1/2 years ago, Spirit has traveled only 4.6 miles (7.3 km) and Opportunity has traveled only 7.2 miles (11.5 km), so they could not have traveled to the poles. This photo is taken near one of the landing sites, since the spacecraft's heat shield is visible in the distance.

The picture is false color, so the items that look green in that picture could be just about any color in real life.

Even though the rovers will not get near the poles, there is a probe -- the Mars Pheonix Lander -- that will land near Mars' north pole this coming May...but it is not a rover, so it will stay in only one place where it will take soil samples and conduct experiments that will look for signs of organic compounds.

[edit on 2/7/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
I remember reading various threads about NASA's color tampering here on ATS. NASA was adding a reddish tint to the pictures which made the surface of Mars look much less inhabitable.
NASA Tampering with Images from Mars Rover Spirit

Being a photographer, I would add those colorizations to increase contrast thus making details more visible.
Red and green are contrast colors... (well, almost)

Edit:
Just a quickie here (stole the image off google... don't tell anyone :S)
Go to adjustment layers in the layers palet. Choose gradient map, then choose green to red. What it does it fill the darkest pixels with green and the lightest with red.
Set layer blending to overlay and it turns out like this.
In some cases this applies better contrast than a simple curve adjustment ever would.

[edit on 7/2/08 by flice]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The green in the image can be the colors that were adjusted or it can be something like rust (copper rusts green for instance). It is not moss.

As to the statements that Nasa tampers with the images to make Mars more red: you are stating a problem that Nasa encountered when they first landed on Mars and took color images. If I remember correctly, the colors weren't correct, because the martian atmosphere filters light differently than earths atmosphere.

The reason why they alter colors is, as stated hereabove, to see more details. They're not trying to make Mars look redder. If you want to know what Mars looks like for real :it's full of rust, so you can guess the color yourself.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ram

Some of the early ESA photos showed what looked to be green moss or possibly grass from satellite photos. There will be skeptics saying it is not possible but add a little moisture and minerals from the ground and moss or grass could be growing almost anywhere on Mars. I do believe there is much more oxygen on the planet Mars then we have been lead to believe.

I also believe there is much more water on the surface and in the subsurface that we could even imagine in our wildest dreams. My conclusion is from viewing thousands of photos is what looks to be biological lifeforms on the surface of Mars. Rik Riley

[edit on 3-6-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Great picture. Here is a great source for colorized rover images:

areo.info...

It's automatically updated and has pictures going all the way back to the beginning.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hi.

What a beautiful and fascinating planet Mars is.

Would like very much to visit one day.

new topics

top topics

join