It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Treasury Department is Out of Control!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I was out of work for 11 months, and had got behind on my student loan payments. I contacted the company that my student loan was through, and I told them that I am working, and they told me that I was in defalt and they would not accept payments, and that I have to pay the loan in full,NOW! I told them, again, that the company that I worked for went out of business, and I have been out of work, and I just started to work for a new employer and I also had to wait a month before I get my first pay check. They did not want to hear about it! They were not willing to work with me, and there was not anything that I can do!

They then proceded to take my income tax checks, which I did not have a problem with, because I want to pay the loan back. Now 2 years later, my employer sends me out of state, to cover another center that is short staffed for a month, and I was issued a Visa travel card for my expenses, and hotel. I get back home, and turn in the paper work for the hotel and expenses. My employer issued me a check to pay for the travel card, and it was intercepted by the treasury department, and come to find out the treasury department has a lein on my social security number.

I contacted the student loan company, and they told me to call the collection company. The collection company told me that they had nothing to do with it, and they told me to contact the company that I had the loan through or the IRS. I had already gotten the run around with the loan company, so I called the IRS. The IRS said that they had nothing to do with it, and they gave me the number for the U.S. Treasury Dept. When I talked to the treasury department , they told me that they put the lein on my social security number, and refered me back to the loan company. Again the loan company sent me to the collection company. After talking to the collection company, and talked about getting a lawyer, they put a supervisor on the phone and now they are letting me make payments, but they stated that they cannot do anything about the lein until the loan is paid off.

I was checking on the internet about different offices in the treasury dept., and I emailed another department. The next day I got a email from the Treasury Department stating basically that the U.S. TREASURY DEPARTMENT CAN USE ANY MEANS THAT IT NEEDS TO, TO COLLECT A DEBT. But now my job is in jepardy, because, my employer paid me to pay off the travel card, and the treasury department took the money that was not mine. It is my employers money. I told the Treasury Department that I can not pay for the loan if I lose my job, and then what will the Treasury department do throw me in "debters prison" just like in medieval times.

What burns me the most is that, all I've wanted to do was pay for my student loans. WHAT GOOD IS A GOVERNMENT IF IT TURNS AGAINST ITS CITIZENS, WHO PAY THEIR TAX DOLLARS TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 3-2-2008 by paladin1852]

mod edit, all caps in title

[edit on 6-2-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
It's time to hire an attorney? To contact your state senator or congressman? Perhaps you might even contact your local newspaper or television station.

I agree, things are getting entirely out of control with the Treasury Department. These people are supposed to be working for us not against us. Granted, there are "deadbeats" out there but one can't paint everyone with that same brush!

The IRS is entirely out of control and, it would seem, above the law!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Thank you, for replying!!!! I have talked to a lawyer, and I have contacted my state senator.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Sometimes one needs to make a personal issue public in order to get action.

A lot of local newspapers and television stations have special feature reporters that take on tough issues. You know the type. The reporter who will go to bat for the "little guy" against city hall over some mistake, misunderstanding or outright stupidity. This is certainly one avenue that you might consider. Of course, it would mean that you would have to take a personal issue and make it everyone's business but, at times, one has to do whatever it takes to get results. And when you are up against the government, you need all the help you can get!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I did'nt think about the media. It is embarrassing to put your personal issues forward, but, alot of times a different view makes a large difference. Thank you!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
An old prime minister of the UK once said "Whichever party is in office, the Treasury is in power" i found that quote whilst i was looking for the answer of the PTS podcast.

I think that quote is relevent here. May i also add that i advise every one to go to the ATS Mix section of abovetopsecret.com and listen to the politics podcast by Justin Case and Martin Bain, it is very good.

Dorian Gray

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Sometimes the attention of the media can do more than the intervention of a Congressman or a lawyer. I recall an incident that took place in an affluent Detroit suburb about fifteen years ago:

A day care center that had fallen into tax arrears was "raided" by IRS agents.
With guns drawn, the agents actually demanded payments due from the parents who were arriving to pick up their children. Yep you heard right. The agents were literally trading children to their parents in exchange for bringing their accounts up-to-date.

A parent called a local television station and that put an end to this ridiculous tactic. As soon as the van from the TV station pulled up, the IRS agents released all of the children!!!! (I've been searching for a link to this story but, alas, it has been quite a while ago. However, I can clearly remember hearing about this story on a local Detroit talk-radio show). It goes to demonstrate that the only thing that can be done at times is to expose the misdeeds of some governmental agencies to the light of day -- and to the awareness of the general public.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I just found a link to the incident that I referred to in my last post:

On November 28, 1984, IRS agents raided the Engleworld Learning Center
(a day-care center) in the Detroit suburb of Allen Park, MI, because of
overdue taxes. The IRS agents forced parents to pay the center’s taxes
when they came to pick up their children. According to the Washington Times,
“Inside were a handful of bewildered parents, unable even to see their
children until they paid money for taxes they did not owe to two IRS agents
sitting near the entrance. Allegedly, the children—as many as 30 of them—could
not run to greet their parents . . . as ordinarily was their custom. IRS
agents kept them closely guarded in Room C of the center. At least one
agent was posted in another room where pre-schoolers, some still in diapers,
were detained.” Parents were not allowed to see their children until they
signed an agreement with the IRS to pay up. Source

This story certainly goes a long way towards demonstrating just how extreme the IRS can be in dealing with matters. If only they would simply work with people to deal with their problems and the their debts in arrears, I am certain that everyone would be happier and issues could be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Thanks for posting that BT. That is absolutely ridiculous and scary. Have they lost their brains? I would think the parents could file a kidnapping charge against the IRS or whoever made that horrible decision.

[edit on 4/2/08 by forestlady]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

From what I remember of that story when it happened, the IRS agents "released" the children back to their parents once one of the parents, who was a lawyer, started screaming "bloody murder". I believe that the lawyer called a friend who was a judge.

I don't have a clue as to how the incident was eventually handled. That is to say, I don't know if there were any lawsuits resulting from this case. The thing that really gets me is that this sort of thing is not an isolated incident!

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The problem with these sorts of things is that at the end of the day no one is ever held accountable. The gov't goes about its business and plans the next trampling of citizens' rights emboldened by yet another success.

And I believe that it is Congress that should be held accountable. They are as happy as clams to start MLB steroid investigations or NFL football videotable inqueries but anything that has merit? Nah. No thanks.

I urge people to keep this in mind come November. Our Congress has abandoned us. This became powerfully evident after the midterms. They are reponsible for protecting our rights as citizens and keeping a leash on government. They have done neither. I encourage people to de-elect every single Congressperson they can. If we can do this nationwide and with unity the message will be driven home loud and clear.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
The problem with these sorts of things is that at the end of the day no one is ever held accountable. The gov't goes about its business and plans the next trampling of citizens' rights emboldened by yet another success.

And I believe that it is Congress that should be held accountable. They are as happy as clams to start MLB steroid investigations or NFL football videotable inqueries but anything that has merit? Nah. No thanks.

I urge people to keep this in mind come November. Our Congress has abandoned us. This became powerfully evident after the midterms. They are reponsible for protecting our rights as citizens and keeping a leash on government. They have done neither. I encourage people to de-elect every single Congressperson they can. If we can do this nationwide and with unity the message will be driven home loud and clear.

I agree, there is no accountability in our government! Our government would appear to have there sight set oversea's, and appears to not be aware of internal issues, or aware of actions that are being taken against its citizens, in the name of the U.S, government!

new topics

top topics

join