It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Not all' fast food unhealthy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

Some convenience food can be as healthy as home cooked meals, say food experts.

The advice comes as stricter controls on the health claims made on food are being drawn up by the European Commission.

A group of scientists and policy experts said expecting people to cook all food from scratch is unrealistic and not necessarily healthier.

Instead people should be encouraged to check labels and avoid foods with high levels of salt and fat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I have only one thing to say to this - RUBBISH.

Home cooked food (from fresh ingredients) is tastier, has higher nutrition levels and is free from additives, preservatives and high sugar/salt content unless you add it yourself.

To me, this smacks of the food industry trying to protect profits by saying that processed rubbish can be healthy.

And who suffers?
The taxpayer and the NHS, as the battle against obesity caused by the fast food industry heats up.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
WOW, Pure BS,

If you ate nothing but fast foods and not from just one place but from all of em, You will have a list of health probs a mile long,

an then after x amount of time doing that, u eat a months worth of homecooked food your be right as rain.

Nuffin Beats Homemade Mashed Potatoes and Turkey Smothered In gravy with some french break on the side.

Yeah!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Whats so wrong with fat? The best source of energy is fat, and is easier for the body to burn than carbs. So why eat carbs instead? Because its cheaper for them to serve you high carb foods! Carbs is the main culprit to obesity these days, and not as what most people would think the name would imply the "fat".

Did anyone lose weight by drinking diet coke? haha what a joke. I dont like these politicians being lobbied by food corporations. Like Gro Brundtland (Pepsi Gro). She should be charged with corruption charges.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am speaking from experience here, Fat can single handedly destroy your digestive system, Just fat, Fried, Cooked, whatever fat will cause your body to produce more acid ( heartburn ) that will incause destroy every aspect of your digestive system as well can an will cause for the removal of yer gal bladder, that then will lead to the inability to digest those fats that were so easy to digest in the 1st place.

Has to be a equal if not one sided deal with eating that stuff.

thats all Im saying just that fat wether your looking like yer gaining it or not will kill u. I could give a rats behind about the way others think I look, but I care tons about how I feel and react internaly.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

news.bbc.co.uk

Some convenience food can be as healthy as home cooked meals, say food experts.

The advice comes as stricter controls on the health claims made on food are being drawn up by the European Commission.

A group of scientists and policy experts said expecting people to cook all food from scratch is unrealistic and not necessarily healthier.

Instead people should be encouraged to check labels and avoid foods with high levels of salt and fat.

Well...there are two sides to this "fairytale"

First: Nutrition

Ofcourse we should all be able to read what kinds of nutrition is in the convenience food, such as fats, carbs, vitamins, minarels etc etc..

And people should ofcourse know the difference in polyunsaturated monounsaturated fats, unsaturated fats etc etc...Yes fat is not just fat!

Polyunsaturated are the good guys, if you didnt know allready.

By knowing how to determine a products nutrition, one can ofcourse choose the right food to eat.

A home cooked meal made from scratch, will almost always taste better, but ofcourse the nutrition, depends on the Quality of the products used.

All convenience food products, should show the exact amount of nutrition within them.

Now comes the second: additives

Almost any convenience food you can find, have one or more additives in them, to perform different outcomes. to name some would be:
Colors
Preservatives
Antioxidants
Acidity regulators
Thickeners
Stabilisers
Emulsifiers
Flavour enhancers
waxes
sweetners
etc etc...

And it is here the difference and the danger is really hiding! They not only stuff animal with artificial growthenhansers, they also pump alot of product with additives for whatever reason they see fit!

The above, is the info we need on our food products! aswell as the nutrition details! This is where the other health factors besides being overweight lies!

I feel additives are totally overlooked in the OP article from BBC!

All convenience food products, should show what kinds of additives are in them.

What to do?

Learn how to determine good from bad food!

Ecological grown food are, atleast in my country, under strict guidance and rules, to prevent/limit the use of additives and artificial producing methods!

Growing your own food in healthy soil without anything artificial, will always be the best way to get full value for your money!

Do a search on "E numbers" and "Polyunsaturated" to learn more if you are interested in what you feed yourself.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluess

Thanks for all that; informative. That is one of the reasons why I buy organic foods. Reading the ingredients on most other foods it is almost sadly comical that they have fifteen different additives. I heard however that they are forced to add these by the Department of Health or what-have-you.

Oh dear. I thought this would be some article by a fast food investor. Shame BBC

Maybe they are just lowering the standards of what is healthy.

I'd go for my mother's home cooked food rather than this any day. Home cooking can also create a good environment

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenflt
Did anyone lose weight by drinking diet coke? haha what a joke.

right, but not because diet coke makes you fat. The mentality that has a person prefer soda over water is what makes you fat. it's a lifestyle, not a particular diet or restaurant.

top topics

join