It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Criticized for Slur

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

McCain Criticized for Slur

www.sfgate.com

Arizona Sen. John McCain refused to apologize yesterday for his use of a racial slur to condemn the North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured and held him captive during the war.
``I hate the gooks,'' McCain said yesterday in response to a question from reporters aboard his campaign bus. ``I will hate them as long as I live.''
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Is it really appropriate for a Presidential candidate to be using racial slurs this day in age?

I don't see him getting any vote from people of Asian-American descent.

I'm surprised he would say such a thing and expect people not to call him on it. What a dumbass.

A racist American President, who could imagine?

One President freed black slaves, and another uses racial slurs in public. Where has the direction of this country headed?

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/31/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I can understand why Mr. McCain could have a fervent dislike of a group of people that tortured him. I'm sure I would feel the same way.

And don't forget he once said that President Bush was "all hat and no cattle"

"bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran"

He's funny!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Guess I don't understand your position here. McCain has a right to feel this way after his experiences, can you honestly say you wouldn't either?

Less criticism, more understanding.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think his feelings are somewhat valid, but is this the sort of person we want as President?

Do we want a person who hates a ethnic/national group as a whole based on an experience with a few bad apples?

I don't think the alternatives are much better (Clinton, Obama). However, at least they are a little better at hiding their hatred for life

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

You know its bad when Ann Coulter doesn't like you

The bright side of the Florida debacle is that I no longer fear Hillary Clinton. (I mean in terms of her becoming president -- on a personal level, she's still a little creepy.) I'd rather deal with President Hillary than with President McCain . With Hillary, we'll get the same ruinous liberal policies with none of the responsibility.

Also, McCain lies a lot, which is really more a specialty of the Democrats.

I really don't like the woman, but she has a good point about the lying...

I wonder if she knows more than she is letting on?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I think you can hate someone or even a group of people for actions they took that caused you harm without disrespecting an entire race of people.

I personally believe that the use of racial slurs is similar to the use of vulgar language in that is is indicative of either a lack of self control or a rudimentary knowledge of the English language.

Semper

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Maybe its because I am the son of a Vietnam vet but I have no problems with McCain comments . Mind you I must also say that I am not fond of the source of the criticism as I oppose affirmative action .

Well that is my 10 cents.

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

As a senator, he was one of the leaders of the postwar effort to normalize U.S. relations with Vietnam.

/2rwkbf

I think this puts the whole matter in context.

It's refreshing to have a candidate who refuses to buckle at the first peep of the PC language police.

I think I'm liking McCain more and more everyday.

Who thinks that Asians don't have words they use for whites.

You only have to go as far as Hawaii where whites are openly called hoales.

[edit on 2008/2/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
hmm. .
seeing that this country quite yet the whole universe is on a toll for heading face down...even the presidential candidates are obnoxious than ever... i understand mccains "pain", as a human being its hard to forget experiences.. but there's something called forgiveness... God forgave the world full of sinners.. he gave his one and only Son to die on the cross.. so that we can live again in Heaven.. so the verdict goes, mccain can stop whining about his haunting past..because obviously Jesus Christ suffered more than him.. more than anyone in this whole wide world.. so who is he to be a baby about his little pain.. obviously he offended the whole asian american citizens in this damn country... well i forgive him.. but i wouldn't vote for him...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You can't force a person to like another.

No matter how hard you try or how much PC heat you apply, it just can't be done, especially if that other person did you traumatic harm.

If that were the case it would have been applied to Jesse Jackson years-s-s-s ago.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well there it is. McCain is going to plummet in the polls now and lose the election by a landslide. There's no way America is going to vote for him now that he's used a racial slur in public. Obama camp and the media will use this to no end to attack McCain.

Sometimes McCain is such a joke I think he was purposely elected as the republican nominee just FOR Obama would win. Out of all the people that ran for republican nominee, McCain had the least chance vs. Obama from the get go. And he was elected. LAWL.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I can imagine why he would dislike them.

He's old and set in his ways and obviously very harmed psychologically from that trauma.

I can understand why he said that. Not PC, but understandable.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Maybe he would've structured that sentence a little better if he had watched his epi's of wheel of fortune, Price is Right and taken a good, long nap like a good 72 yr. old senator....what a joke.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
How is this "Breaking News" if it happened 8+ years ago?

McCain earned the right to call his torturers anything he wants to. In light of that....Gooks is kind of tame, I would call them much worse.

top topics

join