It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarettes that do NOT stay lit?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Almost like the opposite of those pesky Birthday candles (the ones you can't blow out)

I heard from the grapevine, a while back, that the gubment was going to introduce a new chemical into ciggies that would have the potential to make a smoke literally not burn (if unattended for a period of time). I'm assuming that would pertain to 'safety issues'.

I've seen the smokes in action...errrr rather inaction?

These chemicals were applied to the brand name and 'no frill' smokes. What has me cheesed is that I think these same chemicals were also 'snuck' into the reserve (Native American) smokes as well.

Every once in a blue moon, I'll head out to Caledonia, Ontario, to aquire a carton of ciggies. These cartons come in 'bag' form, and contain 8 packs of 25 ciggies - Full carton. The price is most certainly right....1 carton = $10 smackeroos!

I've also heard that the gubment just recently compensated an extraordinary amount of money to these Natives, as well as a HUGE supply of Tobacco.

These smokes seem to exhibit the same trend as the 'chemically treated' ones mentioned above.

Have any of you smokers experienced this?

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I find myself puffing harder and faster because if i dont....my cig goes out.

I guess they had to make them that way so that people wouldnt start fires.

The question remains, what sort of whacky additional ingredient is in them

now? Now, besides, rocketfuel, plus dozens of other insane things we

have to wonder what makes fire stop!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I've found an interesting tidbit!

Apparently, our ciggies have been Fire-Proofed with a certain type of paper that acts as Speed Bumps.

Look at the pink-tinged 'striped color' paper below:

I'm beginning to think certain companies have added an extra band of speed bumps to the very end of the ciggy.

When I (initially) light one, the freaking end-part doesn't want to stay lit.

A fire-safe cigarette has a reduced propensity to burn when left unattended. The most common fire-safe technology used by cigarette manufacturers is to wrap cigarettes with two or three thin bands of less-porous paper that act as “speed bumps” to slow down a burning cigarette. If a fire-safe cigarette is left unattended, the burning tobacco will reach one of these speed bumps and self-extinguish.

CIGGY SOURCE

Ciggies won't put me in the hospital....lololol...it will be the stinkin hernia they have to pull out of me when I 'warp-speed' puff, to keep those suckers stoked.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, that's good! I remember flicking a cigarette in an ashtray, and if there was just one other cigarette close enough, that one would light back up. Always made me paranoid that I was going to set the ashtray, and then something else on fire. :shk:

For a while there was an uproar that the companies said this was too expensive to do (it came out to what I believe was $0.001 cents a cig) and as far as I see it, what's one more chemical in the smoke?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

I hear ya on that one!

Tis bad enough we inhale all the 'goodies/baddies' that are in ciggies, but I'm wondering what else is in these 'speed bumps'?

Side note: Not to advocate smoking, (I surely don't) was just giggling to myself thinking of how much toxins are in the enviroment around us, and how many people make their homes asceptically clean. When it comes down to the smokers, we've already 'primed' up our systems to (adjust?) to the harsh chemicals. Mabey that's why George Burns lived to 100...just a thought....lololol...I'm such a tardo.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I don't smoke ciggies very often. Maybe 5 six times a year. The last year or so... yeah they go out... and they don't taste quite so "flavorful"... and you gotta haul on 'em to keep them fired up.

You might not burn yourself to death anymore but you do have to inhale with more vacuum than before for sure so it might be a trade-off between lung cancer and the occaisional fire from irresponsible smoking.

Glad my cigar tobacco comes from Cuba via Montreal.

Vic

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I also make the trip to Caledonia about once a month for the bags of 200, but I don't notice that they go out. I'll light one now and set it in an ashtray and not puff on it after I get it going and report back.

I had heard they were removing potassium nitrate from cigarettes so that they would go out if unattended, not adding something to them.

OK, the smoke is lit and a timer is running.
I'll post some pics in a few minutes.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
You guys buy cigs by the BAG???

What do you mean "bag"???

We have packs of cigs here containing 20. How many in a bag?

Ducky, i need to buy a bag from you!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

DG, for the most part, us Canucks buy our puffs by the '25 pack'. (hmmm...wondering if they have them in the States...only saw the 20 packs when I visited/around border dutyfree) We have the 20 packs up here.

Loose tobacco is sold in 'tins/cans' up here (for roly's), the U.S. most likely has the same thingy too.

We have 'packs' 'tins' and 'cans'. Now, onto the 'bags'....

Bags of smokes are basically Native smokies in a 'zip lock bag'. It's like buying a whack of smokes without the packaging and put into a bag. The ultimate cheap No FRILLS smokes.

As I had mentioned in OP, these 'bags' are pretty cheap, and for the long last while, seemed NOT to contain those speed bump papers.

You know what? I'm ripping one apart right now to see if there is any 'special paper' in it.....

(40 secs. later) Ok...I've checked..and guess what?!?! There ISN'T a speed bump paper. Hmmmm...I'm wondering why the smoke resembles 'speed bump' activities.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My little experiment is complete and here's the pictures. I included a pic of the 200 bag I took the smoke out of for DG to see.

Smoke lit and put in ashtray.....

About 5 minutes and still burning.....

About 10 minutes and still burning.......

About 15 minutes and I smell filter burning......

And here's the bag from the Reservation that it came out of.
Cost of bag of 200 = $10.00 CDN

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Pics n' all!!!! Good stuff my friend!

Ok...Here's my next Q&A...

1. Where abouts do you live?

2. Which reservation do you go to?

3. Have you noticed ANY change-ups in the last batch or so, where you purchased? Same dealer?

4. Have the smokes seemed drier in the last while. Harsh tasting?

5. Do you buy them directly or have a midle-man go to the reserve and purchase for you?

Sorry for putting you under the bright light, tied down, interogated and gagged....lololol I'm trying to find a common denominator here.

Thanks again Anxiety for the 'visual aid'.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Dang, why don't you just turn a bright light on over my head...

Originally posted by TheDuckster

1. Where abouts do you live?

Hamilton

2. Which reservation do you go to?

Six Nations near Caledonia

3. Have you noticed ANY change-ups in the last batch or so, where you purchased? Same dealer?

The lights are tight and VERY light. Same shop every trip.

4. Have the smokes seemed drier in the last while. Harsh tasting?

The ones with the brown tips are harsher and do seem dry.

5. Do you buy them directly or have a midle-man go to the reserve and purchase for you?

My husband usually goes out with a friend of ours once a month, so no middle man. He gets them from a place called Dubees Discount Smokes that stamp a card for every bag you buy and you get a free bag after 10 bags.

The place is at #1104 Hwy. 54 Phone 519-757-2523

That's all I know and you'll have to waterboard me to get any more......

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Neck stretched...finger pointing upward now...

"Ahem...one more question Ma'am (brought in Detective Columbo) lolol before we put you on the 'cucking board'."

Ask yer hubby if he ever visited 'Crazy Horse's'. shack. There another one we frequent on the 6th Concession Rd. It's..ummm..(What the hell's it's name?!?!?) It has a 'Mexican' theme about it? umm..mabey a 'sombrero' out the front/patio lights. I forgot.

Psst....the 'Mexican' one sells them for $9 bucks/carton!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster

"Ahem...one more question Ma'am (brought in Detective Columbo)

We both love Columbo movies but don't call me Ma'am, we're both manly men.

He's never been to Crazy Horse's, but with the card from Dubees it works out to $9.00 bucks a bag when you cash it in for the free one.

Now a question for you.
Obviously you are in the area, do you live in Hamilton ?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I live across the 'Sky Way' bridge, Burlington.

1-2 min jaunt to Spencer's Restaurant/Lake Ontario.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Love Burlington, it's a great place to live. I know it well.
We're near Gage Park in Hamilton right on Main.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
My smokes tend to start going out closer to the filter... right around where that second speed bump is...i dont usually smoke very far past that second speed bump anyways so this isn't really a problem for me.

what i do hate is the cigs with white filters, like parliament lights...man...get a few drinks in me and tell me to go outside and smoke that cig theres a good chance im gonna light it backwards..like at night time..lol

and those bags look uhh...really bad for me..lol..wish we had something like that in the states..cartons go for like 30 bucks

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

My smokes tend to start going out closer to the filter... right around where that second speed bump is...i dont usually smoke very far past that second speed bump anyways so this isn't really a problem for me.

You're pretty LUCKY at this point hon, where it WILL have a continuing burn.

what i do hate is the cigs with white filters, like parliament lights...man...get a few drinks in me and tell me to go outside and smoke that cig theres a good chance im gonna light it backwards..like at night time..lol

I've NEVER heard of 'PARLIMENT's' (Definately an 'American' ciggy eh?)
YOU? a pyhro (sp?)...lolol poor dear. Balkin Tackwords? or Lackwords Biting!!!

and those bags look uhh...really bad for me..lol..wish we had something like that in the states..cartons go for like 30 bucks

Why would 'bags' around the eyes look bad on ya...WHAT THE?!?! oh yeah....lololol da zip lock baggies of smokes. Lololol Just kiddin with ya hon. Ok...WHY do the 'bags' look bad on ya?

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
To me, putting another chemical into cigarettes is pointless and can only mean that it is an attempt to kill smokers off faster or is a test of the effects of said chemical.

The easiest way to stop cigarettes burning is to take out the potasium nitrate and not to add another chemical to the 599 previously added.

A cigarette is described which has the wrapper treated with a burn accelerating agent over a preselected area. An aperture is formed in this area. The burn accelerating agent causes the treated area of the wrapper to burn more rapidly.

5. A cigarette in accordance with claim 1 wherein the potassium nitrate is applied to the wrapper as an elongated strip extending from the mouthpiece end of the cigarette.

Although the complete theory upon which this invention is based is not entirely understood at this time, it is believed that the effect of the perforation, slit or other aperture in combination with a burn promoting agent applied to the cigarette wrapper results in a synergistic effect which substantially reduces the delivery of smoke constituents. The data shown in Tables III and IV indicate that the combination of aperture and potassium nitrate treatment in accordance with this invention does not produce an additive effect but instead results in a decrease far in excess of expected results.

www.freepatentsonline.com...

The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994, this list of ingredients had long been kept a secret.

www.medindia.net...://www.quitsmoking.about.com

By 1836, it was already well-established "that thousands and tens of thousands die of diseases of the lungs generally brought on by tobacco smoking. . . . How is it possible to be otherwise? Tobacco is a poison. A [hu]man will die of an infusion of tobacco as of a shot through the head."—Samuel Green, New England Almanack and Farmer's Friend (1836).

medicolegal.tripod.com...

The entire tobacco industry has done nothing but lie for profit for a very long time.
Adding more chemicals is not the answer.

Taking what's been added out is a step in the right direction.

A self burning cigarette is nothing more than a scam to force a nicotine addict to buy more cigarettes.

Hand rolling tobacco and the papers do not contain an accelerant.
I roll my own and if i put one down for 3 minutes i'll be able to light it up in an hours time.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Cigs that dont burn, simple, rollies.
Been smokin' roll your own for years and the joke is
that people know when ive been at a friends place cause
my half smoked rollies are lyin' all over the place.
Ive often wondered why that is, they obviously add something
to Tailors that they dont add to Rollies.

Anyway ROLLIE'S rule!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join