It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dora and Diego Harbingers of the NAU?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
You could say the same thing about Sesame Street. They were always teaching you Spanish or Hispanic culture on the show.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What I always found interesting about Dora, wasnt so much the Spanish lesson but rather what goes on in every episode.

She has to sneak somewhere, either across the river, through bushes, through a cave. She has a set of certain tools that can help her. There is always someone or something out to find her that she must avoid.

I always thought it was a training cartoon for illegals to get into the country, teaching them the various skills and methods.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ringing
What I always found interesting about Dora, wasnt so much the Spanish lesson but rather what goes on in every episode.

She has to sneak somewhere, either across the river, through bushes, through a cave. She has a set of certain tools that can help her. There is always someone or something out to find her that she must avoid.

I always thought it was a training cartoon for illegals to get into the country, teaching them the various skills and methods.

Yes, possible. They've got to sneak everywhere afterall don't they? The laws don't apply to them.

Plus, the cartoon may be teaching kids at an early age to accept these invaders sneaking in to the country.

I tried getting phone service via bellsouth/at&t in my area. The first correspondance they sent me was in spanish! They had English at the back as the secondary language. That's how much these invaders are taking over!

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Another thing I've come to notice is the little fox that Dora sometimes pursues named "Swiper". This diminutive kleptomaniacal creature is constantly trying to steal things from Dora and her friends. Anytime he is spotted, Dora encourages our children to cry out: "Swiper, no swiping!" To me, and maybe only to me, this little bit of shenanigans seems to trivialize the act of theft. If it were up to me, the repeat offending little bugger would be doing time in some god-forsaken mexican prison.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by KATSUO
I have 3 boys 6 and under..
occasionally they will watch it and come away
with a word or 2 in spanish...

MY QUESTION IS.. why not teach mexicans English....

I mean damm.. my country, my language.. why
does everything have to be bi-lingual... I would NEVER
NEVER NEVER go to another country and not speak
the language... and I would never expect them to
learn mine, just so I dont have to learn theirs..

it has been rubbing me the wrong way for a long time..
I HATE BEING ASKED AT THE ATM.. do you want english or spanish...

IM IN AMERICA... I WANT ENGLISH.......
if you cant speak my language... GO HOME!

well.. now that I got thayt off my chest.. :-D

[edit on 1/29/2008 by KATSUO]

Amen to that, why can't they come up with our own versions , call them Mike and Amy.

I'm in complete agreement. I am bi-lingual basically by birth (my mother being hispanic) however, because of the embarrassing behavior of illegals, I have actually come to embrace my american heritage more so than my hispanic. Also, I have taken classes to learn french, and japanese. So you bet your butt that if I ever traveled to france, quebec or japan, I would do my darndest to speak the language, or at least try.

You have to think of your country as you would your own home. If you have guests over, you make them understand, your house, your rules. You can say "make yourselves at home" and be hospitable but the minute they start disrespecting you, your family, your home, you're going to ask your guests to leave. Why should america be any different?

I have always thought of travelling in a similar fashion. I think it is incredibly rude to travel to someone else's homeland, and not have the common decency to at least learn their language.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Proliferation of Spanish-oriented shows for kids on the TV is just a reflection of a massive coporate interest aimed at bringing in more cheap labor into the country. Greed has no boundaries and no concept of allegiance to the US or any other flag.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by seridium

Well first post here...

I've been reading on this site for quite a while now. I wanted to registed for a long time but never feel like i would bring something justifiable. Anyhow here's what i have to say.

As a french canadian (Québéçois) i can assure you that English classes are mandatory in order to receive your high school diploma in french schools of Quebec.

But i really understands your concerns regarding your language situation since we've been strugling here to keep our french culture from being assimilated in this english ocean were surrounded of. Since were only 7.5 millions compared to 340 million (rest of Canada and USA).
And thats the reason why if you stay in Quebec you have to learn french in school.

And FYI, Dora here is in french but she is teaching english and spanish

Vive ATS

top topics

<< 1   >>

join