It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian girl switched blood type after transplant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Australian girl switched blood type after transplant

www.physorg.com

Demi-Lee Brennan was aged nine and seriously ill with liver failure when she received the transplant, doctors at a top Sydney children's hospital told AFP.

Nine months later they discovered she had changed blood types and that her immune system had switched over to that of the donor after stem cells from the new liver migrated to her bone marrow.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Imagine the possibilities if they can get this working with every transplant

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I freaked out when I read this in the paper today!
Changed blood type and adopted her donor's immune system!
Whether this is some secret genetic experiment or just a freaky natural part of human evolution, this is unreal!
I wonder if it changed her DNA? Does anyone with a medical background out there know?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I couldn't give you a professional oppinion however my best guess is that it wouldn't as blood doesn't contain DNA. Also I think they are quite right about their steam cells into bone marrow theory

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by eRauzed
I couldn't give you a professional oppinion however my best guess is that it wouldn't as blood doesn't contain DNA. Also I think they are quite right about their steam cells into bone marrow theory

What do you mean blood doesn't contain DNA? Blood cells, albeit any cell in your body contains DNA. I'm not medical scientist, but im quite sure about that...

ACTUALLLY!!!!!

MY cousin who IS a medical scientist just came home. I asked her.

BLOOD DEFINATELY CONTAINS DNA!!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Let me clarrify; Your red blood cells contain no DNA what so ever. Your white blood cells contain DNA, maybe thats what she was talking about ?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by eRauzed

Here's some more information about lack of DNA in blood cells. One thing about this is that I have heard of a case where due to mismatched donor blood type, someone's tests showed a different blood type, but the person suffered major problems because that change was also causing the body to reject the new organ. In that case, the blood type tests were actually wrong. Hopefully, that isn't the case here.

Erythrocytes in mammals are anucleate when mature, meaning that they lack a cell nucleus and as a result, have no DNA. Red blood cells have nuclei during early phases of development, but extrude them as they mature in order to provide more space for hemoglobin.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I would like to hope that its not the case. I would much rather it be a medical breakthrough than a blood test error
Thanks for that information but didn't you mean to show DARage that information as I already knew that

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
This is seriously THE most positive news, for people with any auto-immune type disease. I hope it will be a benifit to people with MND.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yes eRauzed, I did mean that for DARage and was supporting your position. Should have replied to the other post. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by eRauzed

I caught the last few minutes of the interview with the girl from Australia with the transplant, changed blood and immune system. The medical doctor seated next to her said the odds are 1 in 6,000,000,000 that this unexplained happening or change could of occured with any other human being. Rik Riley

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Splicing over 2 billion base pairs of DNA regularly over a population of 6+ billion and well, these things can happen.

new topics

top topics

join