It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heath Ledger, Greatest Genius Actor of His Generation, is Dead...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Heath Ledger has died.

Details can be found on any news site, such as

www.msnbc.com

or

www.tmz.com

He was a true GENIUS and i do not throw that word around lightly.

Why do the best die young?

TPM

Mod Note: Breaking General News Posting Guidelines- Please Review This Link

And most importantly, the submission must be made via the Submit News Button
located on the toolbar at the top of the page.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I know it sucks, but i have to go with suicide. He had sleeping pills shewn about his room. Nobody takes sleeping pills to get high. At least not someone worth millions.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
you won't find out properly untill a full press realese in given or the police release details about what happend. dam shame he died and at 28 years old aswell such a loss.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Sad news man, its like we are waiting for Batman Begins 2 to come out this year with him playing the joker.

This is surreal he is too good to die. People wrote him off as the new Joker but hopefully it will make him a young ledgend in the end because this is bad and hopefully not be worse in his memory.

Stupid drugs, actors and muscians should get a course in avoiding them just for the industry they are in. No need for it, guess Tom Cruis has a point but then again the point can go too far with other issues.

People all over the net are sad by this, he was just about to reach a higher status in his career.

Thanks for the post, hope ATS members respond even though in UK its late.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Well, I wouldn't jump on the suicide train yet.

Those close to him stated he was having a severe battle with insomnia. The medication reported to have been found in his room was over the counter sleep medicine. Most people don't go for the OTC sleep aides when they are considering suicide.

This may have been a tragic accident caused by a reaction, or his body may have been beat down by lack of sleep.

[edit on 1-22-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
I know it sucks, but i have to go with suicide. He had sleeping pills shewn about his room. Nobody takes sleeping pills to get high. At least not someone worth millions.

i'll wait til the autopsy comes in .... i seriously doubt a release of all the full details if the publicist can screen/censor (in a nice way)
the coroners report on the death.

from what i hear, it only takes a shot glass of liquor or a 40oz malt liquor to become a 'death cocktail'...mixed with RXs/meds ... on 'accident'

[edit on 22-1-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Very sad news.

He also had a young child to make matters worse.

Hugely talented actor and a tragic loss of life whatever the circumstances.

This of course follows on from the death of another young and talented actor Brad Renfro who many will
remember as the kid in the 90's Susan Sarandon film 'The Client' and later
in 'Ghost World', 'Sleepers' and in Todd Solondz 'Bully'. His death which occurred on January 15th was also apparently drugs related.

May both R.I.P.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by pmexplorer]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i feel bad about his death,

i thought his name was keath instead of heath, so my friend bet with me on it like two days ago, and he won of course, then when i found out i got so upset i said he should die for his name being that way

btw im kidding about feeling bad i really dont care

but..... my bad Heath

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
He was actually known to have pneumonia at the time of his death (check my link), although it has not been confirmed if this or the pills were the cause. I hope no stupid conspiracy theories come out about this

www.ninemsn.com.au

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I am deeply saddened by Heath's death for a number of reasons:

1. I am a very regular movie goer and he is my favourite actor. Brokeback Mountain and Candy were in my opinion astonishing achievements and from what i hear, his portrayal of the joker is meant to be amazing as well. Michael Caine who is also in the Dark Knight stated in an interview that Heath's portrayal of the joker is "the scariest performance i have ever seen."

2. He was, and again this is just my opinion, the greatest Australian actor, ever. That is a big call but he had already done SO MUCH at age 28 - and by "so much" i do not refer to awards but rather, the emotional depth of the characters he portrayed as well his versatility. I am of the opinion neither Mel Gibson or Geoffrey Rush have given performances which can match some of those of Heath Ledger.

This, as a big fan of his acting, is a sad day

[edit on 22-1-2008 by the titor experience]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I'd heard his name before. But i'd never be able to pick his face out of a picture or anything. Didn't know he did Brokeback Mountain, till i read his obit.

Never heard of that Renfro guy either, till he died. I remember his role as a kid though in The Client.

Oh well, it's a part of life, you live then you die. People die every day under worse circumstances or scenarios they just don't have the papparazzi to publicize it.

Life goes on.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Hi There,

Learning of Heath Ledger's untimely and tragic death was quite a shock. For anyone to meet their demise at such a young age compounds the tragedy even more.

Mr. Ledger was still honing his craft and may have gone on to produce bodies of work that might have set him apart from his peers. I first saw him in 'A Knight's Tale', which was a very enjoyable medieval romp. His next choice of film was the derisible 'The Sin Eater', a film that is best forgotten. I do not believe he was a 'genius', certainly not in the same sense as that of a Brando or Olivier or Gielgud or Richardson, but who knows, had he not (probably) taken his own life through deep depression, he may have delivered certain parts touching on such a high accolade. His level may rest now with that of Dean or Rivers?

My thoughts go out to his family and friends...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Wow, Of all the stars you expect to hear about dying.... this would not have been my first choice.

Tis' a sad day. I too thought he was an amazing actor and had potential to become one of the greats.

As mentioned, his new role of Joker has been acclaimed as a 'one of kind' performances.

He was one of those actors not so much in the limelight, but was always a pleasure to watch on the screen.

'A Knights Tale' was one of my fav's of his. The premise seemed pretty lame, but after seeing the movie , you can appreciate it for its content.
The music track was a big plus for me.

Truly sad, he will be missed by many I am sure.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Excuse me ?? heath ledger ?? a true genius of his generation ?? i mean please, he was an actor, and thats it, what genius ? so genius to die of an overdose ?? only you americans will see your actors for more than what they really are...

they are normal crappy people like the rest of us, they fart and sleep and lie and steal and use drugs...what makes his life worth any more than a 14 year old who died of a drug overdose..

and you amercians wonder why your country is going to crap, it's cause you worship these people....who are nothing but actors - liars same thing, pretenders, whats so great about that ?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
Hi There,

Learning of Heath Ledger's untimely and tragic death was quite a shock. For anyone to meet their demise at such a young age compounds the tragedy even more.

Mr. Ledger was still honing his craft and may have gone on to produce bodies of work that might have set him apart from his peers. I first saw him in 'A Knight's Tale', which was a very enjoyable medieval romp. His next choice of film was the derisible 'The Sin Eater', a film that is best forgotten. I do not believe he was a 'genius', certainly not in the same sense as that of a Brando or Olivier or Gielgud or Richardson, but who knows, had he not (probably) taken his own life through deep depression, he may have delivered certain parts touching on such a high accolade. His level may rest now with that of Dean or Rivers?

My thoughts go out to his family and friends...

His performance in Brokeback Mountain matched any of the performances of those actors you mentioned. Just my opinion. He NAILED brokeback and many critics think he was robbed of the oscar the same way Rusell Crowe was robbed of one for his role in the Insider (which is why he obtained the oscar the next year for a far inferior performance in Gladiator).

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The pills he was taking are Stillnox, or otherwise known as Ambien in other parts of the world...

This is a drug which should either be VERY tightly regulated or removed from the market IMO...

Australian authorities are considering whether to put this drug on Schedule 8 (which includes Morphine, Methadone, Buprenorphine, Heroin, etc....) due to its common and some times severe side effects...

I'd hate Heath to have died as a result of the side effects associated with the nasty and un-neccessary drug...

Peace Heath and R.I.P

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sethdarke
Excuse me ?? heath ledger ?? a true genius of his generation ?? i mean please, he was an actor, and thats it, what genius ? so genius to die of an overdose ?? only you americans will see your actors for more than what they really are...

they are normal crappy people like the rest of us, they fart and sleep and lie and steal and use drugs...what makes his life worth any more than a 14 year old who died of a drug overdose..

and you amercians wonder why your country is going to crap, it's cause you worship these people....who are nothing but actors - liars same thing, pretenders, whats so great about that ?

Firstly, you try acting my friend and making it believable. Actors are artists, and as with all artists, there are differing levels of talent. Heath was exceptionally talented and some would say a genius.

Secondly, Heath was Australian - NOT American - but like most aspiring or successful actors was living in America to make a name for himself in the Entertainment capital of the world - the USA.

No one has said his life was any more valuable. But he was exceptionally talented and his death is a loss to those who can appreciate the creative arts - in this instance the realm of film.

What is so great about some guy posting on ATS nothing but critical comments about a man who even at dying at 28, will be more successful than you ever will be and whose talent was admired by many - and then having a go at those who admired him?......there is nothing great about it - misery loves company.....and you are undoubtedly miserable inside.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sethdarke

For some reason, i agree with some of what this man has said. Anyway, I wasn't aware that otc sleep pills and a few shots of liquor could kill a relatively 'healthy?' 28-year old. OTC meds doesn't sound like a suicide.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   

The sleeping tablets that actor Heath Ledger was reportedly taking in the months leading up to his death might have combined with his reported pneumonia to fatal effect.

www.smh.com.au...

Pneumonia may have had a part to play. At the moment all assertions are speculation. I will wait for the autopsy.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The Stillnox might have contributed to the respiratory distress caused by the "pneumonia"

Orthodox Benzo's (sleepers) are well know for supressing respiratory function...Tho Stillnox acts slightly differently to conventional benzo's, one of the many reported side effect of Stillnox is repspiratory suppression...

So yea, as you say wait for the autopsy...But the drugs are certainly looking like a contributing factor at this point...

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join