It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed cuts rate by 3/4pt. 1/22

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
thumbs up rilence!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The cut probably won't have any effect. A little too late, I guess.

It doesn't mean it's gonna go into recession.. yet.
Besides, it's just stocks, not inflation or oil. If the dollar has problem, then start panicking.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

75 pts is like admitting "we don't have any other ideas to make it better, so here is our token offering..."

It will fail, sadly...For most people that is...It might bail out a couple of well off stragglers who didn't read things so well, but for Mr and Mrs Average, it means nought, really

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

Desperate 1.5 maybe?

That is the one that I remembered where the market dropped after the rate cut because it was viewed as desperate. That is why I don't see today going well. This cut could be the catalyst that kicks the whole thing off.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ladies and Gents, the free fall has begun!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

You honestly don't think we are already in a recession? If I am not mistaken, Inflation is higher than it has been in a long time, oil is trading in the $90's, the dollar is at record lows, and now the stock market is tanking.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The picture on the front of CNN.com sums it up for me.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
3.6% down ( 443 ) in 3 minutes

ouch.,.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
450 pts in 3 minutes....Wow !!! And not in a good way

Also Europe has dropped considerably since the Fed made its announcement...Because this puts pressure on the ECB and the BOE to follow likewise, and conditions in Europe or England might nor warrant such a move...

Very tricky situation indeed...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

You honestly don't think we are already in a recession? If I am not mistaken, Inflation is higher than it has been in a long time, oil is trading in the $90's, the dollar is at record lows, and now the stock market is tanking.

(sssh, yes, the US is in recession, I just don't want sound doom and gloom)
(Besides most people are not stock traders, as long as the dollar and oil holds somehow, we're all going to be okay)

Did I say recession? Oh, I'm sorry I mean depression.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Ahh, ok. That makes more sense.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Merrill Lynch last week said we're already there (hey, they should know!).

Yes it's pretty obvious the unwinding is well under way. The markets are now starting to catch up to reality--they just don't like to admit it won't go on and on and up and up, that there aren't any more bubbles to inflate.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Just found something amazing....March futures for the S&P200 top stocks on the Australian stock exchange are actually up over 1.5% !!

Now this surprised the hell out of me, given the US Fed cutting by 75 seemed to do nothing to bolster US markets in the interim...

Hopefully we might see a relatively calm day in Asia, and hopefully Wednesday will be a good clarifying day on US markets...

Unless there are some bogeymen hiding in the shadows we don't yet know about...

All I know is Aussie futures are looking positive for tomorrow, which means I get some super back, so that's as good as it gets...

Woot !!! *waves my pennant*

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just a side note here 8:53 central time 248.55 to the down side
but we would have to drop 2700 points total before we equaled the losses
that were seen in 1987

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Dow has picked up in a major way the last bit...Only 235 pts (2%) down at this point...

Perhaps the Fed bearing gifts may have done the trick after all, for now at least...?

London is back in the black, Paris almost the same...Frankfurt has been the straggler all day, but is only 2% down...

Lets see how this first aid applied by the Fed might hold...

Any predictions thus far folks ?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
Just a side note here 8:53 central time 248.55 to the down side
but we would have to drop 2700 points total before we equaled the losses
that were seen in 1987

Respectfully
GEO

I've seen this mentioned a couple times. Now, I certainly don't know, but what was the percentage drop in '87?

I would think that it would take more than a 2700 plunge today to equal that one based on percentages...again though I don't know.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Black Monday

Black Monday is the name given to Monday, October 19, 1987, when the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) dropped by 508 points to 1739 (22.6%)

This guy predicted the 1987 recession in 1983. Is he lucky or is he smart?
Did he ever say anything about any looming recession?

By, the way, I'm not his supporter.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well, it looks like we are only down 2% or so right now. I think Rilence is right though, tomorrow will be a good measuring stick to see how this is going to turn out.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Its strange, but all I see going through all these threads is a mass of chicken littles thinking that the world will end tomorrow if you don't make your dollar today. Despite some people's ideas and opinions, not wall street, nor the banks, nor the foreign markets, nor the fed run the economy, nor are they as influential as you think. Them all working together is what moves the economy, and they're never in sync, and the system realizes this. They also aren't going to die in one day or in one week or in one month.

ALL these institutions are in teh long view of things, and all this short term daily stuff is picking up extra pennies where available for them.

So what can you do? not a dang thing. If you have some savings and a stable job, then you're pretty much fine.

get over teh doom and gloom and drama and start thinking for yourselves.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
IMHO I think there is way too much manipulation in the market. Just remember to read between the lines. The great depression was a staged event as the current crisis is today. Why is the market dropping? So the big boys can pick up some more assests at a discount. Take a look at the news and look whos buying up our american companies.

I will try and find some sources and post them later.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join