It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriotism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Is it fair to use a banner of patriotism to call up men for cannon fodder, e.g. WW2?
Personally, I'd very happily be cannon fodder for my country if it was required.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
go sign up..They can probably have you dead and back in america this time next year if your hurry and get over to iraq before all the "fun" is over......

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Fun, I'm not American though nor legally old enough to sign up.
I could commit myself if the draft was enforced, was what I meant

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
You know what real patriotism is? It's actually caring about your country enough you'd spend your time talking about it, good or bad.

It's also keeping the country alive. Flag-waving and bigotry do not count as patriotism.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I think going to fight a war for your country is un-patriotic if the cause isnt just, all your doing is helping your country do wrong in the world and reducing the respect the international community has for it... the draft is ridiculous and if they EVER introduce it in Australia i'm not firing a shot if they force me to war

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Would you fight for your country if you knew the reasons for war was to get more money for rich men who own and operate the nation you live under?

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Yeah but don't the masses exist so that someone can be at the top of the pyramid? Is that not the status quo for most of us?

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
If you are willing to fight for your country what more can your country ask for?

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Yeah but don't the masses exist so that someone can be at the top of the pyramid? Is that not the status quo for most of us?

Good god, you're not The Right Wing Gladiator for nothing...

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Being Patriotic is not following or backing everything your country does. It is keeping a keen eye for injustices that are against our heritage as Americans, it's about supporting "troops" no matter who or what they are fighting for, it's about helping out your friends, family and nieghbors, its about being proud and understanding why we are the greatest country to ever be assembled, its about knowing that whether you agree with something or not you understand that the "majority" doesnt always get what it wants, its about helping people and knowing that you just like anyone else in this country has a chance to succeed regardless of race, gender, creed, religion or sexual preferance and most importantly its about knowing that this is a democracy and your vote does count.

link   

Originally posted by GraemeJ
If you are willing to fight for your country what more can your country ask for?

They shouldn't be asking you to fight, they should be asking you to think. Last I knew, a brain was a far more dangerous weapon than an M-16, and at the same time a safer tool.

link   
If i believe that the 'War on Terror' was just i'd enlist with the ADF (Australian Defence Force) right away and get a role where i can be posted and do my thing for my country and the world... but since i think the war on terror is a crock of S.H.I.T! i wouldnt fight for them if they gave me a gun and dropped me in the middle of an al-qaeda rally... in fact if they did that to me i'd fight against Australia because that would show the country has really gone to the dogs

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GraemeJ

Willing to fight ignorantly isnt a smart move. You should know why you are fighting and the consequences of everything that can happen. America doesnt have a mandatory service requirement for everyone, its strictly volunteer and if you believe in America and the "war" that we want to fight then I say go for it, but it doesnt make you any more patriotic than someone who doesnt believe in the reason for fighting. Everyone can love the country the same, regardless of their willingness to fight.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Here Here Dreamz my point exactly... fighting blindly is less patriotic, in my opinion, than not fighting for a good reason

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Blind patriotism is commanplace.

Joining the military is not a bad thing, your fighting for the protection of your country and its inhabitants.

Deep

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
See for protection is one, thing but in the Iraq case for example i didnt agree with the reasons (i doubt the intentions behind the war were what was stated) i wouldnt have fought that war patriotic or not. BUT if iraq had attacted the Australia i wouldve joined the fight no questions asked... but its really up to the individual... some people will defend their countries actions regardless and thats patriotic... others will fight their countrie actions feeling the country would be a better place without these actions... that too is patriotic... it comes down to personal perspective (as everything does)

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love my country and would die for it. I'm an enlistedman and would do anything for this great soil I live on.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Alot of people do it for the experience, school benefits and the early retirement. But they should also know that they will HAVE to fight regardless of if they believe in the war or not.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Honestly, I think patriotism is a little weird in the first place. It can be felt to only be proud of what your nation has achieved, and not appreciate the cultures and accomplishments of other countries and of all humanity. But America just is so diverse it can be easier to learn about other cultures just from your friends rather than seeing things 'hands on'.

I would not fight for my country, I would fight for a cause. Yet there's not much progress if one just stuffs a cause down your opposing side's mouth, better by example and their own discovery, I think. Although it's not always that easy.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Since i was a kid i have wanted to be in the defense forces... but i have opinions ad morals now and as much as i would love the aventure, exitement, the experience, and education the m,ilitary could give me i would no go against what i believe for these things

top topics

<<   2 >>

join