It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Former Congressman, U.N. Delegate Indicted as Part of Terrorist Fundraising Ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

AP: Former Congressman, U.N. Delegate Indicted as Part of Terrorist Fundraising Ring

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — A former congressman and delegate to the United Nations was indicted Wednesday as part of a terrorist fundraising ring that allegedly sent more than $130,000 to an al-Qaida and Taliban supporter who has threatened U.S. and international troops in Afghanistan.

The former Republican congressman from Michigan, Mark Deli Siljander, was charged with money laundering, conspiracy and obstructing justice for allegedly lying about lobbying senators on behalf of an Islamic charity that authorities said was secretly sending funds to terrorists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Holy sugar!

This is shocking news! Breaking by the second, more updates to come

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
abit of background to Mark D. Siljander

Siljander was born in Chicago, Illinois, where he attended the public schools, graduating from Oak Park-River Forest High School in 1969. He received a B.S. from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, in 1972 and a M.A. from the same university in 1973. He served as a trustee on Fabius Township Board in St. Joseph County, Michigan from 1972–1976 and also worked as a real estate broker. He served in the Michigan State House of Representatives from the 42nd District, 1977–1981, and was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1980.

Siljander was appointed by U.S. President Ronald Reagan as an alternate representative to the United Nations General Assembly, serving from September 1987 to September 1988. He is president of Global Strategics, Inc., a consulting firm in Washington, D.C., operates an import-export firm and works as a radio commentator. He was an unsuccessful candidate in 1992 for nomination to the 103rd Congress and is a resident of Reston, Virginia.

Siljander takes an interest in conflict resolution, particularly in Islamic countries, and in recent years has tried to publicize the common ground between Christianity and Islam, particularly in the Koran's portrayal of Jesus. This is a turnaround from a previous position in which he objected to the Koran being read at a prayer breakfast. He is widely traveled, having visited at least four continents, and is also one of the few American politicians to have visited Libya in recent years.

en.wikipedia.org...
Congress bioguide

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This news is quite strange,

I'm doing much research on this man and he REALLY doesn't seem the type person to be involved in terrorist funding. I'll continue my search

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
man, no one cares apart from me? Jezzzz...

(sorry for the one liner)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's not that I don't care, but I want to hold out for more info first. If it's true, throw the book at him.

I know it's shocking, but for money, some people will do anything. Even sell their own country down the drain.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This will be an interesting story to follow. I wonder what is all going to surface once the courts and media start digging around. Are people close to Mark Deli Siljander going to be targeted as well for possible connections?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Another black eye for Michigan. It's not bad enough we got neutered by the Democratic National Committee delegate wise, or that we are in a state recession, or that we lost 35,000 people due to moving last year or that we have one of the highest unemployment rates. Now we have a retired Congressman from our state is allegedly a traitor.
Ick.
This is one of the few times I wish I never left New York - at least our corruption was rampant and known and kept in house - nothing to terrorists or Islamic radicals...just the mafia.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone would be surprised. This is the essence of republicanism as far as I can tell. Nixon had Watergate, Reagan had Iran-Contra and Bush will have illegal wiretaps, torture and the Iraq War for us to remember. But it's not just the Presidents that get to screw the country over, their party members have a field day selling the country's assets and security to the highest bidder.

They should keep Gitmo open for this guy and anybody else from the GOP that's found to be linked to terrorists. If waterboarding is legal, the CIA can use them for training.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I wonder how long they've been trying to keep this one under-wraps! And I'm sure it's a lot more than just a measly $130,000.

You can't even buy a decent house in my neck of the woods, which has one of the lowest real estate rates in the country, for that for that much.

We all know that there's a whole lot more to this story and this is only the tip of the ice-berg. That he's a Republican speaks for itself. Fasten your seatbelts folks, we're in for a rough ride on this one -- Oh... and be sure to stay away from Fox News if you are looking for any updates on this story.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Excuse me? Is this for real? Um, could this perhaps be the string that brings down the whole ball of yarn concerning the 9/11 and the war on terror?

I wonder if this man had a hand in helping set up finances for the staged terror attacks? Or the "I found out" and "allowed" the terror attacks. This is almost like the vilifying Communist finger that was pointed so often during the cold war.

I wonder how deep this rabbit hole goes...

Ears opened.

AAC

top topics

join