It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why to today's kids have a tendency to think being "gangsta" is cool?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
What is cool about being in a gang, on the streets, in fights, getting stoned on weed, getting drunk, becoming an alcoholic, killing and, ultimately, screwing up your life. They say "excitement". I feel sorry for all who think being "gangsta" is exciting.

Now, the question: Why DO kids want to be in a gang? Any LOGICAL explanation? Propaganda? Or just peer pressure and stupidity?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
In the 50s my father was part of a gang.

In the 60s my brother was part of a movement.

In the 70s my friends were part of something

In the 80s my friends were part of a crew.

In the 90s I had no friends. LOL

The more that changes the more things stay the same.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It is a product of long term mass mind control projects.
Joseph goebbels(Propaganda Minister of Nazi Germany) was the most famous for manipulating the mass population .

"THEY" ....(T.P.T.B/N.W.O/ Illumiati, or who ever they are)..... know how to see a human fault and capitilize on it, push it, promote it, and make it a common thing, and then turn it around and blame it on the human and call them OUT OF CONTROL and say they must be controlled.

Problem,Reaction,Solution.

"THEY" systematically destroy the fabric of our societies.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
But why do they WANT our kids to join gangs?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
more gangs=more drugs= more chaos=more suffering..
this is what "THEY" do...and they do it very well and
they also own ALL the MAJOR record lables, ALL the MAJOR
movie and tv companies and pretty much all the MAIN STREAM MEDIA.

Why would they do this?......like the Big Picture Why?.....I do not know.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

Self esteem, feeling of belonging. I'm sure you see it in middle school and high school where students are trying to be somebody. Trying to find an identity.

Identity versus role confusion.

six

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
You know, when I was growing up I had the long hair and listen to heavy metal (well... still do) part of that crowd. I think it is just a phase. It is whats cool at this moment. In the 50's those that listened to Evlis were listening and watching the devil at work with his rock and roll and dancing. They turned out alright. 60's they had the whole counter culture thing what with free sex and drugs. They turned out alright. They were our parents. I think that it is just what is cool for the moment. Who knows whats next.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by six
You know, when I was growing up I had the long hair and listen to heavy metal (well... still do) part of that crowd. I think it is just a phase

I think there are crucial differences between heavy metal and gangsta rap. Heavy metal rarely describes or glorifies violence and/or drug trade (I don't dispute that it happens, maybe, on rare occasions). Gangsta rap is not about some gothic fantasy world, it's about real violence, real drugs and real lives being destroyed, and creating images of glorius thugs, which seduce the young. It's about failed parenting and failed families which allow the kids to enter the slippery slope of street and gang life. The damage is real.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by thetruth777

Self esteem, feeling of belonging. I'm sure you see it in middle school and high school where students are trying to be somebody. Trying to find an identity.

Identity versus role confusion.

Exactly Right!

Perhaps if there were more structured/places where kids could explore a more positive lifestyle and have an alternative to drugs and violence.

Maya432 may be right. The PTB don't want a stable society. Divide and Conquer!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
maybe I'm wrong... (I doubt it) but aren't "ganstas" just the modern day counterpart to cops & robbers, or cowboys & indians?

I mean, cowboys shot guns and rode fast horses and had fast women and etc.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Something tells me you and I are not listening to the same heavy metal.

Gravediggas sang about shooting up buildings and serial killings, Cannibal Corpse sang about peeling the skin off of aborted fetuses and raping women with rusty knives.

It's just entertainment and exaggerated to comical levels for fun.

The rap that glorifies material goods and money at all costs for the sake of short-lived fame is far more destructive then the violent rap IMO but even that is just entertaining a fantasy for people. If somebody goes out and joins a gang, robs a kid or shoots somebody because of a song they've got more serious issues than the existence of rap.

They want to join gangs for the same reason anybody joins anything. To feel a sense of validation and connection with a cause greater than yourself or because they think they'll get some money, street-cred and women.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

right on the money
those living on the fringe of the law... or even on the wrong side of it... have often been glamorized.

is it any surprise that it's still happening?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

They want to join gangs for the same reason anybody joins anything. To feel a sense of validation and connection with a cause greater than yourself or because they think they'll get some money, street-cred and women.

Then why don't they join a community cause, or something that means something than a gang who goes around shooting people and scaring the crap outta people and drugs? Because it's in those songs. Peer pressure. Sense of belonging, their family life isn't that good and think a gang can give them more and the baddies exploit that. I bet if more people sang about helping the community, etc other than violence and killing a lot more kids wouldn't be killing other people.

six

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Thisguyrighthere sums it up pretty good. There are different types of heavy metal...Not just the main stream you hear or have heard ( ie death metal for example). Alot of the content of those songs is about death, destruction, rape, pillage, etc. Not exactly songs to be proud of. I guess what I am trying to say for alot of youths it is the fad of the moment and they will out grow it. For some, the weak minded, those who have little/no parental guidance, yes it could be a guide for them. But then wouldn't they already be heading down those slippery slopes anyways?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Well I can see how it is about a sense of belonging and also about being the "bad" person. Kind of silly if you ask me, but then again that's how people are and will never change for that matter. I just wish they wouldn't play their music at 9 am and wake me up

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

bingo i think you hit the nail right on the head its a control, problem, reaction solution style thing. ever notice the more they fight gangs the more gang recruitment goes up. you get a star.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I was in a gang in third grade, 1978.

The older brothers of my gang members were in gangs, they had "rumbles" in the parks with weapons. Some of them went off to jail for it. The rest joined another gang on graduation, Army and Marines.

Today's kids want to belong to a group like any other kids, if its not gangsta its emo bi-sexuality, or the pierced to death ugly as sin fat as a potato group, or the goth vampire thing, or the "jocks".

Nothing new here.
Gangs and/or tribes and/or mobs and/or religious cults ie, peer groups have existed for ages over ages.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
In the 50s my father was part of a gang.

In the 60s my brother was part of a movement.

In the 70s my friends were part of something

In the 80s my friends were part of a crew.

In the 90s I had no friends. LOL

The more that changes the more things stay the same.

I agree with incarnated on this one, its always been like this, nothing new

maybe you just feel threatened or want to be a part of it ?
speculation though

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

You're on a bus with your girlfriend and the scabby looking people with bandannas and knives approach you... That is today's reality. Things like that rarely, if ever, occurred during the 1950s... To say that "This is something that has always happened," is just a way to ignore the truth.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
it's because when you keeps it gangsta you keeps it real.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join