It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact vs Opinion: Philosophy or Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
'Fact' is 'opinion', unless the 'fact' can actually be 'believed' or 'seen', then you won't believe it [based on your 'opinion'(if you 'believe' it to be 'fact')]. If I lay down what I consider fact(on any subject that exceeds philosophy or religion) would you be biased against it(not considering the fact can be seen other than in words) , no matter how 'believable' it is to you? I couldn't make a believer out of anyone(even if I tried). If you 'believe' I am wrong about all of this(in your 'opinion'), then explain to me why. I'd appreciate it much for your 'thoughts'.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I always thought facts are things that can be confirmed. For instance, it is a fact that I need to blink. If i do not blink, my eyes dry out. This can be confirmed by not blinking.

Opinions are things that are based on evidence and/or facts. They are inpterpretations of evidence and facts and are bias.

Fact is no opinion, but opinion can be based on fact.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
I always thought facts are things that can be confirmed. For instance, it is a fact that I need to blink. If i do not blink, my eyes dry out. This can be confirmed by not blinking.

Opinions are things that are based on evidence and/or facts. They are inpterpretations of evidence and facts and are bias.

Fact is no opinion, but opinion can be based on fact.

This is concerning only thoughts on facts vs opinion: on philosophy and(or) religion.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Im sorry but i dont understand what your talking about.

Can you clarify?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
How about both?

You are disagreeing with yourself by needing people to disagree with you.

Philosophy keeps religion in check, and vice versa.

You can't have an is without having an isn't. So philosophy is as much of a religion as religion is a philosophy. philosophy is for the most part just a more evolving religion that constantly questions itself.

Religion is the veil, and philosophy is the veil reminding itself that it is just a veil.

Do you agree?

I think the best thing to do in all situations is to just agree to disagree.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
How about both?

You are disagreeing with yourself by needing people to disagree with you.

Philosophy keeps religion in check, and vice versa.

You can't have an is without having an isn't. So philosophy is as much of a religion as religion is a philosophy. philosophy is for the most part just a more evolving religion that constantly questions itself.

Religion is the veil, and philosophy is the veil reminding itself that it is just a veil.

Exactly right! So throw that into the equation of Nibiru.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
well the equation will just equal itsself eventually.

Isn't that #ed up? Sometimes, I think it's best just not to think about it because because it will drive you insane in this reality.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
well the equation will just equal itsself eventually.

Isn't that #ed up? Sometimes, I think it's best just not to think about it because because it will drive you insane in this reality.

I hope this justified what reality is perceived as(in your 'opinion'). Thank you for your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Religion is a philosophy. Philosophy is not a religion. Science (scientific method, baconian philosophy) is a philosophy. Religion is merely symbolic stories hiding a deeper truth that is founded upon philosophical principles. Religion is for the masses, but theology is for those interested in studying the philosophical principles of a religion.

Fact vs opinion is one of the heavily debated subjects in philosophy. Generally in human history, there have been four distinct ways to determine "fact" or "truth". The first and foremost is experience. However, this question was not raised until the time of Philosophy (reason, logic), or the second way of determining truth. Some of the more profound truths determined in this manner later evolved into religion. The third way of determining truth was faith. This was heavily emphasized by the Roman Catholic Church, and this is probably the worst method of determining truth out there, as faith means truth determined by belief, but unfortunately belief does not determine reality (or does it?). Then, in the 17th century, science (as we know it now) was founded upon baconian philosophy, or the philosophy that truth can be determined by agreement between repeated observable experimental data. However, science is still merely a philosophy, and has proven itself to be the best method of determining physical truths.

However, science, faith, theology, all pale in comparison to philosophy, the ultimate method of determining truth in that one can reason with physical objects but also with metaphysical concepts. It just really sucks that most people these days believe that it's religion vs science, but completely forget reasoning and philosophy. But yea, basically what I'm saying is that fact and opinion belong to the field of philosophy, but other methods have been developed through philosophy to attempt to determine truth vs untruth, but in the end it still boils down to philosophy.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
i think versus in my opinion...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xnibirux

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.
Author Unknown

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
All to grow the degrees of understanding anything more is a label describing the type.

The baseline of fact changes aswell. Like when the world was flat it was fact at the time.

Belief is a good lie where proof isnt needed.
I dont need proof of the divine becasue I hold hope kindly and aim for the highly improbable of ending world hunger to be responsible for the 51% of it

A highly improbable but.... like a leaf in the wind. Proof wont be seen of the divine just of the miracles human beings can achieve from the bottom on up cutting through every plain.
Divine isnt a being. it isnt a form. I feel people are closer to describing the divine describing what karma is becasue they dont even imagine it to take form in anyway.

religion just being a codec to interface in 3rd density all relative to the persons path.

top topics

join