It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saved By A Whisker!! Near Earth Misses By Asteroids In Jan 08!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Ok, I’m not trying to sound alarmist. But here are a few of the NEOs that missed us and will hopefully miss us in Jan 08!

Jan. 2008 Earth-asteroid encounters:

Asteroid___Date(UT)___Miss___Mag.___Size

2005 WJ56___Jan. 10___10.9 LD______11_____1.2 km
2008 AF3____ Jan. 13____1.0 LD______14______27 m
1685 Toro____Jan. 24____76 LD______13______6.2 km
2007 TU24__Jan. 29___1.4 LD_____10_____400 m

Notes: LD means "Lunar Distance." 1 LD = 384,401 km, the distance between Earth and the Moon. 1 LD also equals 0.00256 AU. MAG is the visual magnitude of the asteroid on the date of closest approach.

The closest was yesterday, 13 Jan 08, when a small 27 m wide asteroid missed us by the skin of our teeth!! Just 380,000 km away!

There’s another one, asteroid TU24, that’s headed our way which is half a km wide! And that’s HOPEFULLY going to miss us by 1.4 LD (Lunar distance) on 29 Jan 08.

JPL Database Browser

Now what would happen if Earth’s/Moon’s gravity alters its course some and …..Well no! I wouldn’t like to think of the consequences!

Let’s see what could happen in the worst case scenario which is shown in the vid below. But what you’re about to see is the affects of a much bigger event. Probably an asteroid half a km wide such as the TU24 wouldn’t be so devastating after all!

Don't worry! Be happy! It's not going happen after all!! But then again, who knows??

spaceweather.com...
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 14-1-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Good Morning Mike! Good thread!

Had this crazy thought hit me just now. Wondering if there are more of those puppies out there right now (more than usual lately)?

It seems to me, there has been an increase in sightings/near misses.

Most people aren't privy to owning telescopes. I definately have to get one! I've been wanting one for ages! (waiting for the $$$ to build up for a 'good' one)

I also wonder what info might be held back from the general mainstream, as to 'what sword of damacles' might be hovering over our heads as we speak. The ones that are VERY close (possible hits?), and will not be disclosed to society, so as to not cause mass panic?

What are your thoughts?

~Ducky~

[edit on 14-1-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
I also wonder what info might be held back from the general mainstream, as to 'what sword of damacles' might be hovering over our heads as we speak. The ones that are VERY close (possible hits?), and will not be disclosed to society, so as to not cause mass panic?

Hey Ducky!

I was thinking someone would raise this point. Probably NASA has some info regarding the Jan 29th event, but aren't going to town with it! Gravity imponderables will have to be factored in to arrive at its exact orbital intersection with that of the Earths.

Heck! I hope this mud ball gives us a wide berth! If it hits the Pacific at its present speed, I shudder to think of the size of the resulting Tsunami!

Keep your fingers crossed!!

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Heck! I hope this mud ball gives us a wide berth! If it hits the Pacific at its present speed, I shudder to think of the size of the resulting Tsunami!

'The lessor of two evils':

IF anything hits, cross yer fingers that it finds it mark in the ocean, and not 'land' - would be thousands of times more devestating, concidering the 'nuclear winter' that would ensue.

I wish we had more Astronautical people come forward and disclose secret goodies.

Rolling the dice now..."Come on Whistleblowers...Momma needs a nice pair of truths!!!"

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Now what would happen if Earth’s/Moon’s gravity alters its course some

Gravitational perturbations from Earth and Moon have already been taken into account.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by Mogget]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
...It seems to me, there has been an increase in sightings/near misses. ...

This is probably due to more people looking for asteroids with better equipment and/or better detection techniques.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am aware that the Minor Planet Center includes approaches by large objects to within 0.2AU on its "close approach" lists, but 76 times the distance between Earth and Moon does not equate with "near miss" in my estimation (1685 Toro). That's 0.19AU, or approximately 29 million kms !

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
has anyone been able to see this through a telescope yet?....

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Absolutely wonderful post. That video shook me to the core, I must admit.
I had no idea so many had passed that close to us. Probably a good thing too...If something big was going to hit I would not want to know.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
So... uhh... that thing has to be getting close now huh...

Does any one know the Position of the moon relative to the astroid when it passes?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well isn't a relif that what is shown in the video is whats not going to happen
I think we do need to keep an open mind on NEOs though as I don't think NASA would tell us even if we were going to be obliterated

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
According to this article and illustration, tu24 should be visible with a modest telescope. The illustration of tu24's path during it's closest approach was provided by a Philly amateur astronomer.

~article~

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
There is one out there with our name on it. But it could be another 10,000 years in getting here. We're "due", but 10,000 years is a cosmic blink of time, or maybe as long as a wink.

We do need to get ourselves in gear on this. We need to stop talking about putting some defense in place and actually do it.

And good job Mike. You were on this almost two weeks ago.

top topics

join