It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Come on in. Church is open 24/7

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I cant help but notice that every other thread in BTS is about religion. Some want it, others dont, some beleive, others dont. Quotes from the Bible, blab bla bla bla....
Is this now a place of worship?
I beleive in a higher power most of the time, sometimes i dont. Is it anyones business?
ARE you folks trying to save us?
I dont want to be saved. I want to be left alone.

And for the love of (God) why do you speak so strangely, making no sense and speaking in circles? I swear, everytime i glance at one of those threads i think i've had a stroke because i cant understand most of it=if any.

And why do you look forward to death? This always gets me. I'll say it again: We are all going to die in due time. It wont be God punishing us, it will be either a natural death, an accident, or the Universe rearranging itself, shifting or what have you. Its NOT GOD trying to kill us to punish us.

Stop the nonsense. What does this make me? I dont know and i dont care. I grew up CAtholic and i've been dissapointed. I do have enugh common sense in me to know that we live in a very large universe, and for millions of years its accomodated us just fine.

The dinosaurs became extinct. Was it their nasty habits? Did GOD punish THEM? I've said it before but i dont mind repeating myself- i've earned the right, i'm old enough to be semi-senile and forgetful.
Why do you suppose God took their lives away?

Planet X, is it on the path to Earth or is God bowling because he's bored and says what the heck, let me see my true powers, and see if i can get a strike?

I know everyone has their beleif and their religion, but its being pushed more and more down our throats to the point where i'm gagging here on a daily basis.

I beleive in
God off and on. Its natural. Sometimes i have my doubts, sometimes i am sure of his existence. I just want to think of God of my own free will and not everytime i log on!

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
We could switch to politics.

Seriously though, you are now contributing to what you are ranting about by posting in Faith, Spirituality, & Theology. You are just asking for a believer to now come in here and "splain" it to you!

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Hi dgtempe/

I'm going to say this straightforward!

BTS is a place of 'Various posts'....many Topics to be had!
If I wanted to chit chat or rant , then I would definitely do so in the appropriate heading that fits the topic.
Eg/I dont like Politics much, therefore I dont wander into the political side of ATS.
Would you agree with that?

Everybody at sometime in their life will have all sorts of doubts and confusion as to whatever is effecting them...
Death is part of human nature.....agreed!

I believe that the posts you are looking at mainly deal with the end of times?
So, in the Topics of Faith and Spirituality, it is only normal for one to post about Bible Scripture, is it not?

so, friends still?

helen

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
No offense, dg, I love ya and your input here, so don't take this wrong.

When you make comments like this,

o.p. by dg
What would Jesus do? Just ask the evil under the guise of "Born Again Christian"

it might invite a few responses from us born again believers.

I admit since I had my salvation experience in August 2003, my life has been run increasingly through a Biblical filter. I promise not to put any Bible quotes in this post, but many, if not most of my posts these days contain Scriptural references.

The Bible makes complete sense to me now. It never did before. I don't look forward to death, but I don't fear it anymore either. The devil has dominion over fear and death, and he is a defeated foe.

The uncertainty of the times we live in is also a polarizing factor in religiosity. In times like this, people are either driven to or away from religion, as they seek spiritual strength and greater understanding of the forces at work in the universe. The issue becomes loaded, and emotions start to run high. Many rely more and more on the expression of their faith, while others blame religion, even God, for the state of the world around them and their own difficult circumstances.

The media has a hand in this, as well. The 2008 election, especially on the GOP side, has injected religion into politics, which is a volatile mix. The media loves controversy, so they run with it every chance they get. I realize it is in your face now more than ever, and I hope it ends up being a good thing for you, helping you define and refine where you stand with God once and for all. As you choose and decide, of course.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

ARRRHHHH!

You're going straight to hell for that one! No virgins in your eternal garden of hanging basket cases either!

MonKey

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Just for clarification...

What is the purpose of these religious tirades?

Is it witnessing for the Lord?

Looking for strokes from other Christians?

"look at me, I can quote the Bible"

I'm with dgtempe; what's with all the Bibleospeak, scripture quoting? Is it really necessary to get your point across?

And the Spiritual Arrogance...sheesh...it's so thick and ugly and unmistakable.

Are these religious rants somehow cathartic to somehow release yourselves from guilt, hoping that maybe the good Lord will see how pious and holy you are by trying to win converts?

Are the rants fear based and some kind of preparation for the Apocalypse?

Why does the same ground need to be covered over and over?

Personally my beliefs are between me and my Higher Power and don't need to be worn like an Armani suit for all to admire. But that's just me.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
No offense meant. I do have a problem with the end of time prophesies when it comes to the wrath of God.

I'm coming from the fact that history and science tells us that this planet has had many catastrophes for as long as its been here. When there were no humans. If God wants to end the wickedness on Earth and plans to kill us all through some tribulation, what was his motive before humans existed? According to my information (not from any weird text but from say, History Channel, Discovery, scientific publications, etc,) We have been thru countless "tribulations" and so has the universe, and we are due for more soon.

So why do some say its God's wrath??? Relligion is good, it keeps the population in check, and i dont knock that, but why insist on taking the blame ourselves?
Again, what sins were committed by the dinasaurs?

Face it, its how the universe works, its not God wanting to rid himself of us!!

I never really talk about religion but i had the urge to do it today.

God loves you, he does not want you dead. Your governments want you dead, and so does nature.

my 2 centavos

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Whaaa,

Preaching should have a certain amount of effort. Like going out and knocking on doors. Now we have armchair preachers.
Please, go knock on some doors, my friends, and please dont be mad at me, but God does appreciate the sacrifice.

Can someone please answer me the questions i posted before? Maybe i'm wrong, maybe i have a demon. I dont know.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Just for clarification...

What is the purpose of these religious tirades?

Is it witnessing for the Lord?

Yes!

Looking for strokes from other Christians?

Not necessarily; rather to encourage other believers in their faith.

"look at me, I can quote the Bible"

No, God gave us the Scriptures ( The Bible) as a means to an end; It is an instruction manual, if you will. They give those who want and need them guidelines for living and interacting with fellow believers and non-believers. They tell us what God thinks about certain things as well as a history of the faith and a vision of what the future will be like ( remember that God is omnicient as well as omnipotent).

I'm with dgtempe; what's with all the Bibleospeak, scripture quoting? Is it really necessary to get your point across?

Yes because without the proper frame of reference it's dificult to even make a point at all!

Spiritual Arrogance...sheesh...it's so thick and ugly and unmistakable.

Arogance in any guise, whether spiritual or not is not a good thing. Christians who have any maturity in the faith recognize that there is nothing to be arogant about. We are all sinners; none of us get to Heaven based on our own merits or goodness, because the only "real" Goodness is found in the love and forgiveness of God, through His Son, Jesus Christ as revealed by the Holy Spirit, through personal experience and also through the Scriptures ( The Bibleospeak of which you..er..speak).

Are these religious rants somehow cathartic to somehow release yourselves from guilt, hoping that maybe the good Lord will see how pious and holy you are by trying to win converts?

No. The Lord had commanded all of those who believe to be a witness of the Gospel (The Good News) to the entire world; not to give offense but to give you the information you need to make an informed consent or rejection of God, Himself.

Are the rants fear based and some kind of preparation for the Apocalypse?

Most evangelical Christians believe that the apocolypse is coming and preperation is needed but because the time is short, there is all the more reason to tell everyone who doesn't know or believe that there is still time to change your mind...if you will. Remember, it's your choice, in the end; we can tell you where to look and what to seek, but, ultimately, only you can make that decision. Comprende?

Why does the same ground need to be covered over and over?

Because, some people are hard-headed and some are hard-hearted, as far as their viewpoint on religion in general and Christianity in particular are concerned. Many have become convinced that becoming a Christian means emptying their sculls of all their brains and common sense, while others would like to believe but choose not to so they don't lose their friends and family(It has been know to happen). If we (Christians) don't keep reminding you, you will just forget about the subject and perhaps never receive another chance to make the greatest single decision of your life: "Where will I spend eternity". Please, believe me when I say that to a practicing authentic Christian the idea of winning souls for Jesus is more about your welfare and future than it is about winning brownie points with God.

Personally my beliefs are between me and my Higher Power and don't need to be worn like an Armani suit for all to admire. But that's just me.

Yes, your beliefs are yours to decide. So, in that case nothing that is said on this board should have any bearing on your spiritual belief system. My question to all of you non-believers & Atheists is this: if you hate hearing about the Christian experience and being acosted by scripture-spouting believers, why do you continue to come back to the same threads, over & over again? Maybe, just maybe, it's because you haven't made up your mind yet after all. Is that possible? Just asking because I care.

new topics

top topics

join