It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way

news.bbc.co.uk

A giant cloud of hydrogen gas is racing towards a collision with the Milky Way, astronomers have announced.

It contains enough hydrogen to make a million stars like the Sun, say experts, and its leading edge is already hitting gas from our galaxy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Obviously this won't happen for many years but when it does what will it mean for the earth and our surrounding planets? will these stars automatically slot into orbit with the other planets in our solar system or will they go crashing around causing chaos and destruction?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Vox fires up the What-Will-Happen-Machine...

Russia will claim that they own the gas because they have a tower than just barely pokes above our atmosphere and into the gas.

Shortly thereafter, the USA will launch nuclear armed satellites into the gas for "peaceful research."

That action will be followed almost immediately by China launching their own predatory satellites.

England will claim that the gas was once part of their empire because Sir Francis Drake was a gassy fellow.

The Pope will announce that the gas is evil because it's coming isn't foretold in the bible.

Greenpeace will make "Save the Gas" t-shirts and use the proceeds to start a public smear campaign against gravity.

Basically, the usual stuff you would expect from a bunch of monkeys with huge egos.

Actually, the interesting part is that the gas itself could provide some insight into the electromagnetic nature of star/galaxy system. If I am not mistaken, ionized gases polarize the light traveling through them which should allow us to make some interesting observations about the region between our sun and the center of our galaxy.

Jon

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
[sarcasm]I think that a butterfly in South America will flap it's wings, which will set off the gas cloud, causing mass panic and eventual incineration of the entire solar system!!![/sarcasm]

Quite honestly, this is a very interesting event, as it could have many different, and potentially beneficial nuggets of knowledge. I'll keep a close eye on this...

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

Haha! You should be writing cartoon scripts, you know?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel

Basically, the usual stuff you would expect from a bunch of monkeys with huge egos.

Jon

I almost fell of the chair
but all stated in the above is soo true
Cheers to You for making my day

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
In 2 to 4 'million' years. I'm certain we will/PTB will find a nice way to off ourselves in that timeframe.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
isn't this the same cloud of matter/gas which our solar-system is
plowing through right now??

another thread had a post or two that this ionized cloud of gas
is what may be 'heating' up the whole solar system & planets
including Earth.

if this is a new or different cloud in our little parsec of space,
about a 80 light-year cloud affecting about a dozen stars around us,
then 'never-mind'

top topics

join