It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling someone a Canadian is the same as calling them the "N" Word

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

HOUSTON -- Assistant District Attorney Mike Trent tells FOX 26 his side of the story--why he used a "word" some say is a racial slur. FOX 26's Isiah Carey has the details.

Full Article

I would like to know how my Canadian friends feel about this? And by Canadian I mean those who are in C A N A D A, hahaha.

Your nationality is considered a racial slur to describe African Americans according to this.

Rants?

I also posted this in BTS but I figured I would post it here for a little more exposure...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
ps: There is a racial slur database?

www.rsdb.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The question is whether or not the person referred to was an actual Canadian, as in someone who was born and raised in Canada.

I'm tired of Blacks trying to dictate the words we use to describe others.

I've been called a redneck, a grit, a coonass (despite my Norwegian, Scotch-Irish heritage) a honky, a gringo, a blue-eyed devil, and many worse terms making reference to my race and my ethnic background.

None of these terms cause me to become apoplectic or indignant enough to cause a scene or get the media involved.

Some of these terms when used disrespectfully do not please me, but that's between me and the offender.

As long as we knuckle under to these race-hustlers who constantly play the race card, we will gradually lose our right to free speech.

"Minorities" always act like crybabies when someone, even inadvertently uses a a so-called racial slur, while these very same people use racial and other slurs in public and in their "art" with the intent of intimidating those around them.

It's high time we collectively said enough is enough.

[edit on 2008/1/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I have never heard of this particular "racial slur" before. All I know is that some of my best friends are Canadian.....really.

I am dumbfounded that the word "Canadian" means anything other than to describe someone from Canada. I am equally as dumbfounded to have learned that the term Canadian is used as some sort of "racial code" to denote some sort of racial slur towards people of African descent. To be frank, I just don't "get it".

As someone who is interested in the origin of words and word usage, I would be most curious to find out how the word "Canadian" ever evolved to mean anything but a word to label those from the "Great White North". Bizarre.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Oh grady, I sure if you got you some black friends they wouldn't be all that offended if you were to say "sup nigga". I got a few and they really could care less, not like its an attempt to belittle them.

However I still don't like saying it, and most definitely would never say it to insult someone and never to someone I didn't know because you never know how a stranger will react.

But I do understand where you are coming from.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
"sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never kill you"

A childhood nursery rhyme. I'm sure that we've all heard that one. But I can't think of a nursery rhyme that had "it" so wrong. Just think of all the harm, conflict and strife that has been caused by.....words.

At every level in society, words -- even statements that were misunderstood -- have been at the root of incredible turmoil, pain and grief. Personally, I can't help but feel that we all need to be incredibly careful with what we say, what words we choose to express ourselves.

If only we had all evolved to be tele-paths. Then everyone would just "know" what sentiments truly lay in our hearts.

[edit on 1/13/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I find it odd that Canucks would find it a racial slur.

I'm a 5 buck Canuck, thats how much it cost back in 1964 to buy membership to be a Canadian.

[edit on 13/1/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
I find it odd that Canucks would find it a racial slur.

I also find it hard to believe that Canucks or, for that matter, that anyone would find this to be a racial slur. I can't even imagine how the use of the term "Canadian" could ever become a 'code' word for the "N" word.

I don't think that Canadians would take offense because, to be frank, I don't think that Canadians even know that a term meant to describe their country of origin is even being used in a racially derogatory fashion. I'm not a Canadian myself -- I'm an American -- but I've lived in Canada for better than 25 years now and I've never heard of this peculiar usage. In fact, I find this matter to be quite curious.

new topics

top topics

join