It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s Largest Supercollider Could Destroy the Universe

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by HEXTKnight
"Y'know, maybe forcing two particles to collide at such a high speed just under Sweden isn't such a good idea after all"?
The chances might be slim, but there could be all sorts of unforeseen consequences. Kennedy didn't realise that the Hiroshima attack would kill twice as many people as planned. We don't know enough about our Universe to test what caused it yet.

cern goes nowhere near sweden and kennedy had nothing at all to do with hiroshima. i think the scientists involved know more about what they are doing than you know about simple geography and history.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
In actuality, it's not the machine that is the problem....

It's the people pushing the buttons.

And the people who tell them what to do! etc,etc.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by justyc

protons hit earth billions of times every second at the same speed... there is no threat of catastrophy

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Lmao, I just read this article, and i'm sure this is nothing but fuel for the fire for all the hand wringers and doomsayers.

LHC full power beam dump heats car sized graphite slabs to nearly 700C

“In a bad accident, the beam could go off course and drill a hole through one or two magnets.”

[edit on 8-8-2008 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
When the Book of Dragons is opened all will be revealed to us. However the seals must first be broken. One seal was the splitting of the atom. Another is FTL. Time travel is yet another. Perhaps forming life from inanimate material could be one, or even AI. How many seals do you think there are? And how many are left?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I actually hope that they do make a black hole that is strangely only limited to destroying the super collider and all of the scientists who built it along with all investment in such a machine being a complete waste and bankrupting any entity that invested in it.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This experiment is 100% useless!!!! why risk everything this world has to offer just to say you created a black hole? "Oh you stopped world hunger? well i created a black hole over my country...thats just as cool right?" what the hell are u gonna do after you create it? "Well guys good job we desroyed millions of dollars worth of stuff with that black hole AND wasted billions of dollars!" GREAT JOB!!
This is just one of those things we have no need to mess with and shouldnt even be bothering with it!d

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Just heard on the radio this morning that they may have fired up this supercollider. www.nytimes.com...

Should be interesting to hear or see the results. Hopefully, not devistating and is all good information.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

So thats why google used this image

Awesome!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

10.09.2008 First beam in the LHC - accelerating science Geneva, 10 September 2008. The first beam in the Large Hadron Collider at CERN was successfully steered around the full 27 kilometres of the world’s most powerful particle accelerator at 10h28 this morning. This historic event marks a key moment in the transition from over two decades of preparation to a new era of scientific discovery. >>

press.web.cern.ch...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
What do they say they hope to find?

Aha.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bagheera

So what is the source for this scary information? This would definitely make sense to me and would coinside with predictions of the bible and the mayan calendar. If destruction is not instantaniously after the super collider is run at full power then it could quite possibly drag out in the scenario described.

What scares me the most is that this is not an exact science, the physisists can only theorize on this, but nobody can possibly know the true outcome of this experiment. This may be our generation's tower of babel.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Impreza

But is there any strange matter in the universe? It's apparently like an incurable disease. It converts normal matter into strange matter, breaking down I suppose the normal physical and chemical laws that govern life and the workings of the universe.

I think it might be a pretty exciting way to go. As I said earlier, I just hope that such a death isn't prolonged. If we go quietly and quickly all the better.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Spaxz

Yeah this reminds me also of the 2012 prophecy wow It just may be the reason for our doom.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join