It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Risk to Earth Found in Supernova Explosions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Great, a new way to die. Nice and slow and will kill Billions.

www.space.com...

he cumulative effects of long-duration exposure to blue-enhanced light would begin to interfere with life on Earth.

Those who study chronobiology, or the effects of biological timing, have found that low levels of blue light can strongly affect the endocrine systems of mammals by causing physiological and alerting responses. Blue-enhanced light is associated with reduced levels of melatonin production and affects circadian rhythms. For these reasons, it is sometimes prescribed to counteract seasonal affective disorder (SAD) or winter depression.

"This is not going to be an 'everything dies immediately' kind of event," Thomas said. "But with the risk factors associated with higher levels of this kind of light it's certainly something that could be important in the longer run."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yes, sometimes, on rare occasions, I will admit science sucks. Sure we learn better ways to live and how to save ourselves ect. But we also get the chance to learn just how much is out there that can kill us.
I'm not trashing science, I'm just hoping we find something magic like or something that benefits us at least a quarter or so of the magnitude of these things that can kill or erase us.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
There is no doubt that the universe is a hostile place. We find new things that can be a negative to man every dat, it seems. But remember that we have overcome a lot of odds to make it this far. We might overcome a few more.

And yet another reason for us to have the ability to move freely among the stars.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
NGC you are very correct there, every day that goes by we learn more things that are killers than are saviors. And the ability to move through the stars is required for long term survival. My choice is many ships with decent populations going out in different directions so we can expand our presents if we survive and not wipe us out in one swipe if something were to go terribly wrong.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You know, the first thing that comes to mind after reading this is, Hollow Earth.
If perhaps the earth is hollow, and if we realize this soon enough, a solution to this problem would be to live inside the earth. And I think there is an expedition that is set to sail to the north pole this summer to see if there is an opening to the inner earth.

It's not a joke either.

www.ourhollowearth.com.........

Back on topic though. I wonder if this effect will actually directly kill us, or if it will cause widspread depression, in which we all kill ourselves or each other??? Either way, I opt for the hollow earth scenario.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yeah I was aware of the Hollow Earth and that link was good for a laugh. I love this disclaimer on the bottom of the site :

* If in the event we are unable to locate the North Polar Opening and enter into Inner Earth, we may continue south on the 141st Meridian from the geographic North Pole to the New Siberian Islands and spend a couple of days there checking out the exotic animal remains thought by Hollow Earth researchers to be of inner earth origin.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And the info on Eden being in there, as well as the Great Deluge coming from there, and exotic animals, and a sun at the core and gravity having to be rethought and free energy from this....OUCH MY HEAD! ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED WITH THE HOLLOW EARTH WOOHOO!

Now seriously, everytime I read the Hollow Earth theories and explanations, I need a drink, so lets get this party started.

apc

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Great. Something else that's going to kill all life on earth. I'm not worried though.
I've got my Blueblockers sunglasses and a bottle of Sunblock 5000.

So we have to worry about global warming, global cooling, pandemic flu, Planet X, Apophis, whatever is supposed to happen in 2012, Rosie O'Donnell, and now light from nearby supernovas. Sounds like the plot for a pretty good movie!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
There is a lot of exaggeration going on in that source.

Not many people spend a lot of time outdoors. Many of those who do are, already aware of dangeours effects of UV and are screening themselves one way or another. Sunglasses are common around the world. And sure as hell, I personally sleep with the shades down

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Hahaha - wouldn't it be easier to use Latex Paint.
Yeah, the world is aware of UV and skin cancer. We need to work on our awareness of space and the dangers above.

apc

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Eh... evil rays from space are evil rays from space. To my knowledge no stars within a couple hundred light years are expected to explode any time soon. Rather, are suspected to have already exploded.

If Earth should experience supernova radiation every 20 million years, it's hardly something to worry about. We get smacked by big hunks of rock more often than that.

Plus, if we're looking we will probably see the neutrino burst first, yes? So at least we'd have a few hours warning.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by harddrive21
Yeah I was aware of the Hollow Earth and that link was good for a laugh.
.........Now seriously, everytime I read the Hollow Earth theories and explanations, I need a drink, so lets get this party started.

Party?....My place right? I'm down!

I have to agree, it is funny reading some of the the things these guys right. But I must confess, even though it is a crazy idea, I want it to be right so badly. It's just fun to think about.

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Not many people spend a lot of time outdoors. Many of those who do are, already aware of dangeours effects of UV and are screening themselves one way or another. Sunglasses are common around the world. And sure as hell, I personally sleep with the shades down

Unfortunately, you're probably vitamin D deficient, seeing that the main and best source for it is from UV light. And vitamin D deficiency is a hot topic right now (and off topic here, sorry). In fact, your more likely to get cancer if you spend most of your time indoors, protected from the sun. So just a little advice from one ATS member to another. You should get at least 15 min. of direct sun exposure to your skin on the daily. As much skin as possible.

This has inspired me to start a thread on the subject.

-Dev

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

APC - you are right about this specific threat, but we do need to be looking up more.
DE - If Hollow Earth was real, I would totally vacation in Eden in the Kingdom of Jesus Christ...wouldn't you?
And Vitamin D deficiency? Well I am naive on this topic and will read up. That would go against conventional wisdom, but that has been wrong before.

top topics

join