It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A relation of mine is a Mason.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

As long as the Christian freemasons truly believe that Jesus Christ is how he's described in the Holy Bible and is thier lord and savior and choose to follow Jesus Christ then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Me personally, I just cannot see how a Christian can give oaths to a "supreme being" with the Holy Bible present but not be able to open the bible within a lodge or even discuss it. Heck, you can't even mention Jesus Christ or talk about your religion?! What's up with that?!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Shmoo006

Definately ask him, he's your granddad's brother! I wonder what kind of info he will give you without you having to give oaths though?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
careful! masons, like zombies, are only content with eating human brains.

Just kidding. Chances are, if you are interested, ask him about it and he will be just as interested to talk about it with you!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMe74

Originally posted by soldier612
I suggest you avoid becomeing a mason simply because you are questioning it. Conspiricy or not, from wht i have learned from various sources and because I am Catholic and a person can not be a mason and a Catholic.

There are plenty of Catholic Masons, but the Catholic Church frowns on it. See here:
www.vatican.va...

While it's true that there are plenty of Catholics in the Vatican (including the Pope, who was an ardent anti-Mason prior to becoming infallible), Catholics live by the Code of Canon Law, and Canon law (1734) - as revised in 1983 - states: "One who joins an association which plots against the church is to be punished with a just penalty; one who promotes or moderates such an association, however, is to be punished with an interdict."

If Freemasonry doesn't plot against the church, then there's nothing wrong with being a member. The church might not like it, but - at the end of the day - that's just an opinion. Canon Law is Canon Law. And the restriction (2335) from 1917 ("those who joined a Masonic sect, or other societies of the same sort, plot against the church or against legitimate civil authority, incur excommunication") has been removed.

Your pal,
Meat.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by mmmeat]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

I am of no religion, so i would not apply to me if i were to become a mason. But thanks for the info on the Catholic view of masonry

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Just curious Shmoo, when you say you are of 'no religion' do you mean you are non-affiliated with organized religion or that you are an atheist? As an atheist can not be made a Mason.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I am not athiest, i just dont belong to any church.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirit7

Me personally, I just cannot see how a Christian can give oaths to a "supreme being" with the Holy Bible present but not be able to open the bible within a lodge or even discuss it.

I couldn't either, if it were true. Luckily it's not, so for Christians it's not a problem. Incidentally in my Lodge the Bible HAS to be open, and the ritual has all sorts of excerpts from the Bible integrated within it.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Me personally, I just cannot see how a Christian can give oaths to a "supreme being" with the Holy Bible present but not be able to open the bible within a lodge or even discuss it. Heck, you can't even mention Jesus Christ or talk about your religion?! What's up with that?!

To my knowledge, you can't open up a newspaper in an open Lodge, or even discuss it.

But that's just because it's rude.

...coincidence?

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman

Me personally, I just cannot see how a Christian can give oaths to a "supreme being" with the Holy Bible present but not be able to open the bible within a lodge or even discuss it.

I couldn't either, if it were true. Luckily it's not, so for Christians it's not a problem. Incidentally in my Lodge the Bible HAS to be open, and the ritual has all sorts of excerpts from the Bible integrated within it.

Ok, thanks guys. It looks like I bought into some disinformation. The integration part may still be questionable, LOL, but that is somewhat of a relief.

Can you discuss Jesus Christ in the way that he is described in the bible or is he something that is questioned?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit7

I think you are really missing what actually transpires in a Masonic Lodge. If it is a usual business meeting we discuss business. If it is a degree night we perform a degree. Occasionally someone might give a presentation on a 'Masonic' topic such as our Grand Lodges history or a famous Mason for example. Other times it might be on how to properly prepare a retirement account or some other such mundane information. That is pretty much the extent of our meetings and there are not moments where the Master says, ''The floor is open, does anyone feel like discussing X?''.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

So it pretty much is just a fraternity for men of different cultures and religions to get together and worship their own God. (Deep breath) I had a hard time sayin that just now because of my strong faith in Christ. But honestly, there is no hidden agenda.

Boy oh boy, I might be changing my opinion of it. This is ground breaking!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit7

posted on 12-1-2008 @ 20:38

The time and date are duly noted.
Perhaps this is a larger and welcome step into more understanding and acceptance.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

The Church early this year re-affirmed all Catholics who become Masons should be excommunicated.

Spirit

So it pretty much is just a fraternity for men of different cultures and religions to get together and worship their own God. (Deep breath) I had a hard time sayin that just now because of my strong faith in Christ. But honestly, there is no hidden agenda.

Boy oh boy, I might be changing my opinion of it. This is ground breaking!

You got it buddy.. we all worship the god of OUR choosing. I do not worship the same God as many Masons, as I am not a Christian, however, we are all brothers..... we do not worship a singular god.. in fact, Grand Architect can be a thousand different gods.

Your opening your mind, and broadening your horizons... congrats....

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The Church early this year re-affirmed all Catholics who become Masons should be excommunicated.

Really? This year?

I've read the articles and opinion and all that other nonsense posturing, but I haven't seen anything this year that indicates that Catholic Masons should be excommunicated.

And, quite frankly, if it isn't Canon Law, then I'm disinclined to follow it.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

So it pretty much is just a fraternity for men of different cultures and religions to get together and worship their own God.

This is exactly what it is, except that there is no worshiping of any God, unless you include the odd prayer as worship. There is an opportunity within freemasonry to build close secular bonds and friendships with people who we might not ever otherwise have had the opportunity to do so. Today this might be people of different religions, two centuries ago it might have been people of different class. Actually come to think of it in England it still is

Just think - getting to know a Muslim but being unable to talk about religion. Why, you might even get to learn something about the person themself!

I had a hard time sayin that just now because of my strong faith in Christ. But honestly, there is no hidden agenda.

I too have a strong faith in Christ. I have found my membership in freemasonry quite complimentary to my faith. However my faith comes first, and in fact the list of things that I put before freemasonry might surprise you - my family, my friends, the law (actual), the law (moral) and work would all take priority.

I quite understand why the more intolerant wing of (politicized) Christianity doesn't like freemasonry, and I recognize their right to their own views. However I have found that "fundamentalists" of any religion have more in common with each other than they do with the rational majority of their own kind.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Had to delete my response... I hate when I don't read every post! AugustusMasonicus great answers.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by JonathanDoe]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yes you should ask him about it ...if he is a mason he will think honesty is the best policey ...so yes ask him

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join