It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if we have subways, why not cities underground?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
like really subway systems run underground in so many major cities across the world

the i guess... blue prints to build an underground train has been around since the first subway was built at least

"The first underground line of the subway opened on October 27, 1904, almost 35 years after the opening of the first elevated line in New York City, "

en.wikipedia.org...

so roughly since 1904 humans have been able to build underground railways and stations for passengers

people see underground base technology every day (mind you it's old) when they are on the subway trains and in the stations

since 1904 the technology to build an underground transportation system has been around

so can any of the underground base believers ever be called crazy?

to call them crazy is to be ignorant to the fact that the technology to build transportation systems underground has been around since before we were born

so to stretch that and say they can build a bigger room (bigger passenger station really) that connects to these underground trains isn't really much of a stretch

also what do you guys think about S-4 possibly being called D-4 and that's why lazar keeps his life? D as in deep underground military base

they are side by side on the keyboard D and S, area 51 was built in the 1950's right? early 50's so they could have had one of the first DUMBs ever built

if lazar is saying S instead of D that might get him out of a contract saying you can't say D-4, there is no D-4 if you ever mention D-4 we will not yada yada we will forget we knew you yada yada

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Japan already has plans for a underground city

web-japan.org...

"All over Japan, an underground construction boom has quietly gotten under way. Many different kinds of facilities are being built: not just the underground shopping malls that have long been a familiar fixture in this country, but a host of other structures including art museums, electric power plants, and dams. Previously, underground construction flourished during the years of Japan's bubble economy as land prices heated up and capital investment sought new outlets. The current boom, however, is motivated not by the high cost of above-ground real estate, but by the inherent safety, environmental, and technological benefits of subterranean spaces. "

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Well here's the first thing you have to consider.
Who the hell wants to live underground?
Facilities is one thing.

But do you really want to smell 100 million toilets
because the air circulation system broke down?

Do you want to be in a tunnel system when a fire breaks loose?
How about down in a bunker with someone who has Tuberculosis?
Tuberculosis likes to live indoors, away from sunlight for decades.

Anyhow, good underground dwelling movies.
Doom Megapolis is a supernatural anime horror flick that has a guy mention underground Japanese cities to deal with their issues, he gets laughed at. Worth watching.

In George Lucas' THX-1138 clones live below in a computer controlled environment of drugs and slavery.

In Dr. Strangelove, the good doctor mentions that exact plan of action.

In the RPG game Paranoia, you can role play that world.
There's a novel and comic as well, at least there was.

Its worth some day dreaming on if you like waking nightmares.
Because you know, imagine...9/11 or the gulf war...underground.

Have you ever smelled NYC or Philadelphia Subway?
Imagine that with a few thousand corpses and burning stuff.

So knowing those potentials, you won't see many of us permanently down below until its the only way to escape heat, cold, war, plague, and all that other stuff.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OSSkyWatcher

There is some underground city I've read about in Turkey

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Evidently ( and I'd like to go there ) they have underground cities in the Cappadocia region of Turkey that go way back. Wikipedia gives Derinkuyu as dating back to 7th century BC, eight stories of subterranean delvings, to a depth of 85 meters. Apparently there are scores of these, another notable one is called Kaymakli, all throughout the area... it makes me want to poke around like Indiana Jones and discover a forgotten underground site still stuffed with Phrygian and Hittite swag, you know, fly over using that new ground-penetrating radar... maybe next year...

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The main problem with underground cities is you have to import all your necessities plus air and water and all those things that make modern life modern and do it in such a way that it developes a flow. Garbage in, garbage out regular as clockwork. New things you will have to deal with, like purchasing oxygen to breathe and exhalation tax to remove the toxic elements from the air that you are going to buy. Sound will carry for miles and smells linger indefinitely. Space is a premium and carries a luxury tax if you have more room than is necessary for survival,. Them again, there are the Deep Underground Military Prisoners who get the same things you do but they don't have to pay for it. Think of it, you can live in and work out of your own small cubicle, eat in a mess hall and meet new friends in the public bathrooms. Then there are all those aliens who live underground. Before long, one of them will move in, then another and pretty soon there goes the neighborhood. Hey, but you will still be safe, if the whole thing doesn't collapse on you or some vital system goes down. What about that alien that looks like a chicken, is she sneezing in our enclosed enviroment? Future archaeologists will be amazed at out complex rituals that man practiced in the belief that it would extend their life.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Don't forget the Radon and other radioactive stuff, along with the happy parade of Fungus.
And joy of joys, what do you do when the magma comes?

Would love to time travel to the development of those caves in Turkey and know what that was all about, how it all started and how it all ended.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
We have the technology to overcame all issues & could probably have good artificial light huge gardens and make it almost if not as comfortable as it is above ground. Problem is we can't afford it and unless we are compelled to do so for a time while the surface is not livable it won't happen and even if when it does most the population won't be accommodated.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
That is actually a fair point... I never thought about subways and underground trains in that way before...

However, Its been proven that humans need the nutrients and things from the sun to survive so maybe living underground isn't such a good idea...

Laura x

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
since +99.99% of population centers are already above ground
it would be much easier and efficient to build a dome or some
such covering over the existing cities or metropolitan centers.

and viola' we would have gigantic 'malls' that are miles square in size.
where wind, rain, snow, searing heat or freezing cold will not affect commerce and trade

then the suburbs and the freeways would be the only habitats out in the sun and elements, and subject to weather related insurance damages

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OSSkyWatcher
"The first underground line of the subway opened on October 27, 1904, almost 35 years after the opening of the first elevated line in New York City, "

en.wikipedia.org...

so roughly since 1904 humans have been able to build underground railways and stations for passengers

people see underground base technology every day (mind you it's old) when they are on the subway trains and in the stations

since 1904 the technology to build an underground transportation system has been around

I thought I would just point out that London Underground is much older, having started services in 1863, so the technology is very mature.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
well i mean not just cities even but bases too, they have like kind of strip malls underground in toronto i think (might be another city i forget) connected to the subways

the technology and machines have been around since rougly 1904 to build an underground subway we'd have to make sure we knew about when passenger stations were built also

but we can somewhat safely say the technology is old, and there are some people who have said there is some pretty advanced drilling technology (i am sure most of you know of a few)

so why is it crazy to think there are already cities maybe small, and underground bases?

(sorry in the OP i meant to mention underground bases too, i know that changes things a bit so sorry)

what about building into an existing space instead of having to blast it and just running a subway into w/e as long as it's a secure area?

that would be somewhat easier that hauling all that dirt up

top topics

join