It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you go for your news? Seriously help wanted on this issue

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ok, this isnt really a very important topic but I was interested in how people on here get their news.
I used to watch and read CNN, quite a few years ago but I got tired of their love affair with the Democrats, so I switched to Fox "fair and balanced"

but they were just as bad as CNN, just the opposite, trying to force their ultra-conservative views down my throat.
The Network News stations havent even been a consideration for years so I wont even discuss them any further.
First of all, I dont want to be told their opinions and sure as hell dont want them to tell me what my opinion should be, there job is to report ALL of the relevant news without a slant, or it used to be anyway.
You know its getting bad in this country when there's a war going on somewhere or there's some other type of very important incident going on and the TOP story for the days is what celebrity just got a boob job and how big their gonna be.
I remember reading my moms Enquirer magazine as a kid because it was entertaining, not because I believed the stories but now it seems that you can open up the Fox website and read everything, there that one would used to only find in the tabloids.
There is one sight that I do like though and that is Rense, yes I realize that some people on here consider it a "tabloid site" but that isnt the case in my opinion.
Rense is more of a clearing house for stories, they add many stories to that site and give ME the option on what to believe and what not to.
Some stories link to reputable sites and some, though humorous, link to ridiculous sites but its up to me what to believe or not to believe and I like that level of control.
I know how passionate some members here are against Rense but this post isnt about that site so please dont let it dominate any discussion that may arise here because what I hope to gain here is information. I want relevant news that is reliable and truthful, back up by facts, not just the networks opinions.

I would just like to know where people, not just in the States but from all over the world get their news and if they could pass their wisdom on to me

[edit on 1/5/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Google definitely would be the best source.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Personally I think this place is the best meta-news site on the internet.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gools

LMAO Gools

Well, Im obviously already here and have been for quite a while, I was definitely expecting that response from somebody though

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I recently discovered..

newstrust.net...

SD

[edit on 5-1-2008 by SD-JH543]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I go for a variety of sources:

Radio – as I spend a great deal of time in my car

Printed media – Occasionally I might buy a paper but mostly read those at the coffee houses or restaurants

Internet – Visit news websites, and of course ATS!!

TV – If I have the time, I will catch the news of one of the many 24 hour news channels.

And then I think about what I have seen and heard.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
A good site that's collecting all the important news from NYT, BBC etc, to the more narrow sites like tomdispatch, from mainstream to alternative is
www.truthout.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Just watch FOX.

ManCow is right about everything. I mean his name is ManCow. How could FOX not be right?

P.S. Kiran Chetrey is on CNN now. Oh. My. God.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Faux news is disinfo at its worst.

They distract from the real news, they spin, they humiliate opponents in the most disgracing manner.

Faux news is demonic and the tool of NWO.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The best place to NOT get any real news is "THE TV".
turn it off....un-plug the damn thing...lol.

CNN, HNN,Sky News Fox News,,ect.ect...Its all the same Propaganda Monster
Hard at work.

And now that Mitt Romney has purchased "ClearChannel"

thats the biggest radio media broadcast company in the world that
also supplies lots of the billboards and bus stop adds and the like .

just like Joseph Goebbels in the late 1930s did before all hell broke loose.

look at Romneys Handsom chissled leader like face and then look into his eyes and it May reveal to you that this may not be a "man of the people".

they seem to be moving the very last pieces of the chess men into place.

soon it might be "Check Mate" for us.......???????

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
i think above top secret website is pretty good for news and information

if is wrong information people will debunk it soon enough

but if it is right there will be lots of talk about it on a thread with lots of replies

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think the best strategy is to try to see pieces of the truth by reflection from a number of sources, rather than look for it whole in any one place.

It's very nearly impossible to get a truly balanced view from any one source, and of course all the information on a single subject will never make its way into a single broadcast or news special or article.

So here's what I do. Take an issue you're interested in. Find the extremes, the bookends, the farthest out nonsense you can, and establish boundaries for the truth. More likely than not, if you've found the far-right and far-left margin for any given issue, the truth lies somewhere in between. Then, you see what lies between, from the more centrist publications/broadcasters/pundits/whatever.

Oftentimes, I feel like the best way to see the truth is in its absence. What aspect of the story is the media purposely avoiding? What element of the story is under-represented in mainstream news? Chances are good that there's something there, if nobody who relies on corporate sponsorship wants to talk about it.

It's not a perfect system, but I find it gives a better macro-picture of the issues than just going to just CNN or just FOX, or any of the others.

The key is, of course, diligent research and a whole lot of reading. You might have to skim through fifteen (or even fifty) articles on a subject to find one thought-provoking sentence or glaring omission that leads to a whole new line of investigation.

I think it's unwise to rely on any one source, or even a handful of sources, for your views. You have to gather as much information as humanly possible to make informed decisions and craft intelligent viewpoints.

That's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yes I know that ATS is a great place to get news and information which is why I am still here.
Anyway guys thanks for the sites that a couple of you gave, the newstrust.net one looks especially interesting but for now I have just bookmarked it as well as the truthout.org site.
I am also in my vehicle a lot and listen to talk radio while I'm driving but I mainly listen to it for entertainment purposes rather than for a place to get caught up on current events.
Again, thanks for the replies

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I like:
counterpunch.org
prisonplanet.com
buzzflash.com
rense.com
globalresearch.ca
commondreams.org

the BBC is one of the best MSM sources IMO...

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Raoul Duke]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Just like most others would be the tabloids. If they don't get sued than it might just be true. Of course I have heard lately about law suits for telling the truth.
If you remember the story of the War of the Worlds broadcast, than it could be a hint of news currently and those ahead.

But just like the weather, the most accurate is what you see for yourself by looking out the window.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Not sure why Reuters hasnt been mentioned yet. In my opinion, they are very unbiased. Just read some articles and see for yourself.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I like upi.com

Very fair site no matter what the issues are. They cover everything. They also have sites just for Europe and Asia as well.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

I have an almost "Rainman" mentality and ritual each morning.

1. Drudge Report
2. CNN
3. ABC News
4. Fox News
5. World Net Daily
6. Politico
7. New Republic

Then I head to ATS to hear others opinions on the news I've just read.

I think my list of sites gives a nice balance.

Becker

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Yep, what WyrdeOne said
. Multiple sources are a necessity otherwise you're just getting one view of the subject. I always try to remember, though, that every news source has an agenda (not necessarily in a sinister way).

One piece of advice I was once given was that the first question you need to ask about any news story is 'Why are they telling me this?'. I think someone on ATS might have said that actually but the answer to that question can tell you a lot about the validity of any given story.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

That's a pretty good balance of sources, and I use a number of those too.
I find it amusing when I see those complaining about bias, but then list only far left news sources, and then try to claim objectivity in their views.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join